The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
familyfast64

vacuum booster?

Hey guys, forgive me but I'm not real familiar with these cheaper black summit or mines jegs vacuum assist cans. Mine has a gauge that I can read but I don't know if that's ok to use when adjusting your fuel air screws on the carb for best vacuum or if I should continue using the vacuum gauge that I hook to the carb? Also, wouldn't the vacuum can effect your vacuum secondaries? Does it not effect the engine at all, just the brakes?
I just thought I would ask for a rundown on how they work and if carb tuning and vacuums secondaries are effected by them. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
familyfast64

Re: vacuum booster?

Also the vacuum advance. It works off of the engine after tip in when plugged into ported, losing vacuum at full throttle and the timing advance it offers going away. But does the can continue offering vacuum? Does the vacuum advanced need to be plugged when using these cans?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I had to read your post twice to understand what you're asking, and I assume you are referring to the vacuum reservior and not the vacuum assist brake booster?

The vacuum reservior is there to provide enough vacuum for your power brakes. Neither should affect the operation of your engine. If they do, then there is a leak in one of them.

When tuning your engine I would continue to use your hand held vacuum test gauge.

On a street driven vehicle, a vacuum advance on the distributor should always be used for the best driveability. On a performance application, the vacuum advance should be connected to manifold vacuum.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
familyfast64

Yeah that was what I was referring to. And I know the vacuum advance should be used on street vehicles which was why I asked. It wasn't hooked up and it got me thinking about it again when I was tuning the carb. I thought if it was there to increase and or provide more vacuum, would it effect those? I thought maybe the gauge could be used when tuning but I'll stick to the hand held unit, it's easier to read anyway. Its just, I though I had the same vacuum when tuning at the carb. as what was reading on the can. I'll have to check again and see if there two different readings.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The vacuum reservior shouldn't have any effect on the vacuum advance.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
familyfast64

Ok, thanks guys. Sry I get to thinking to hard sometimes.