The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
HKanada182

1972 K20 - The Slug

Hey guys, I picked this truck up mid September 2013 from a couple towns over from me. The fellow I bought it off was the 2nd owner and he had owned it for over 30 years. He had put a 455 olds into it and switched it over to an automatic and as far as I know the stock 3.83 axles. This is my first rebuild and I am still not exactly sure where I want to take this build. I have a lot of ideas running around my head and a general image I want but still planning as I go.

So far I know I would like to revert back to a 4 speed manual, SM465 perhaps? Any input on these would be great! I'd imagine there might be some problem mounting that up to the 455 so maybe swap engines. Anyone with a bit of know-how with the 455 would be great! The body is pretty rough and will need a floor, corners, rockers, mounts all the usual stuff, so I will have my hand at body work. But the frame and drivetrain seem solid this far and thats what I was hoping for. I am far from an expert when it comes to these things so I have been using the site and all your information is appreciated. Following builds and getting ideas from other members is pretty well where I am learning how to bring it back to original.

I will try my best to keep updating every night I get some work done and get a few pictures along the way. There will probably be times where no updates on the truck come and no new pictures but work has me away for 3 weeks at a time. In that time I will be following builds and getting info and ideas for my next 3 week stint at home. So hopefully lots of work will get done in my 3 weeks at home... depending on the girlfriend.

Thanks for reading, and any input!

-HK

Sorry guys this is actually one of the only photos I have before tearing into the truck... too antsy to start the build I guess.
Attached Images

Last edited by HKanada182; 10-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
HKanada182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Classic-Steele

Re: 1972 K20 - The Slug

Good luck with the build! I also recently picked up a 72 c20. Keep the pics coming!
Classic-Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
HKanada182

Re: 1972 K20 - The Slug

Well that truck as changed quite a bit from that first picture. Almost all of the body is removed and in storage to give me more room to work on the chassis. Hopefully wire wheel the frame and get a bit of primer/paint on it before I go back to work.

Speaking of the frame I am wondering if anyone has experience with POR15. What is the finish like? As durable as they say it is? Worth the extra money in your opinion? Can you paint it right over tremclad primer? I would probably use tremclad red oxide steel primer but not sure if I want go the more expensice POR15 route or tremclad black over top. Should have the cab/bed off this afternoon and a few more pics will follow.

-HK
HKanada182 is offline   Reply With Quote