The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
ksshane

Re Chrome, Powdercoat, or other?

Picked up an original rear sport bumper off of craigslist. Little rust, but no major dents and actually matches my front bumper perfectly.

I thought about having them both rechromed, but after doing some searching it looks like that will be out of the question due to cost.

I thought about having them powdercoated. About a year ago I looked at getting an old bike frame powdercoated here locally and it was going to be about 50 bucks... So Im guessing (usually wrong when I do that) the cost will be about the same for the bumpers.
I dont need fancy chrome bumpers, Im just not a fan of rust.

Not sure what my other options might be so Im open to any suggestions.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Re Chrome, Powdercoat, or other?

I don't know enough to say but I think it would depend on trim level. If your truck is a base model, the powder coat might be fine. An upper level truck I'd go with rechroming but it depends on what you want. I like trucks to be all original or close to it. The only changes I want on mine are HEI and a back up camera, USB port, CD player (hidden), etc.

I do plan to get my new radiator core support, front inner fenders, and new battery tray powder coated and I expect up to about $200.00. I called this shop over in VA. Next spring at the earliest.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
steelhorse

I'm all for chrome.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Lee H

An option for you, several of the forum vendors have sales a few times a year on the sport bumpers, usually around $85 bucks with lifetime warranty on the chrome plating. I don't think you can buy a used bumper, have the dents removed and plated, chrome or powder coated, for that. In my neck of the woods there is a $200 minimum for powder coating not including metal prep. I have a pair of these bumpers from Brothers and they are top notch.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
leddzepp

Buy a new chrome one or paint the one you have.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
ksshane

I hadnt seen any for 85 bucks... Shoot ya... Ill just run these until one of the vendors post a sale then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
An option for you, several of the forum vendors have sales a few times a year on the sport bumpers, usually around $85 bucks with lifetime warranty on the chrome plating. I don't think you can buy a used bumper, have the dents removed and plated, chrome or powder coated, for that. In my neck of the woods there is a $200 minimum for powder coating not including metal prep. I have a pair of these bumpers from Brothers and they are top notch.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
cdowns

unless you can take the trip to mexico or china in most cases a quality rechrome job is very very very hi it is not unusual to hear prices from $500 to a thousand each

powdercoating can clean up and old truck and last a long time/// but if you wait and get a vendor special at swapmeet or in a christmas sale for the nice chrome repo bumpers they would b about the same cost as powdercoating
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksshane View Post
I hadnt seen any for 85 bucks... Shoot ya... Ill just run these until one of the vendors post a sale then.
Just keep in mind, bumpers are oversized and somewhat heavy, so they charge $50-$60 shipping just for one bumper, even if they ARE on sale.

I recently purchased a chrome factory style rear bumper from GMC Paul's, and I'm happy with it.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Ironhorse

Just last weekend I was at a swap meet with a chrome vendor from Houston, Tx. Don't recall their business name. Asked about re-chroming the bumpers on the '71 Chevelle SS I'm working on. Ball park price was between $500-$550 per bumper. Ouch, gotta hold off on that for awhile. I'm sure it won't get any cheaper in the future tho.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote