The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
JointTech

Finally got an appointment

So a couple years ago I decided my rockers needed doing. Saw some videos from the mobile hotrod mechanic.

bought the welder. chickened out...

I contacted him since hes in my area. He was booked for ever. I contacted him again almost exactly a year later. He was still swamped. Finally out of the blue the other day he emailed me and said he had shop time available middle of Nov.

The reason I didnt just take it somewhere else is I really want to do it myself and kept trying to get up the time and courage. I wanted to use him because he will let you watch and help. Also he used to actually come to you. I guess he just got his own shop and doesnt like leaving now so Im going to trailer the truck to him since its about an hour away. I still dont like driving it on the freeway.

So anyway Im stoked to finally get these dang rockers and floor holes done so I get get going on the interior. I need sound proofing and insulation bad.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Finally got an appointment

Make sure you keep him on task. He answers every call on his cell phone while working on your truck, gets distracted easily, all while remaining "on the clock"

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
JointTech

well if I had his cell number I would have been one of those guys too

did he do some work for you? Im just eager to learn some welding and metal work without going to tech school classes. Hard to find a shop that wants you hanging around.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
leddzepp

Yes I had him come over to my house a couple years ago. He wanted 4 hours of "work" at $60 an hour. In four hours he managed to tack weld a 3" plate over a hole that was previously a fuel filler. I don't think he would get three minutes of work in before his cell phone would ring, and he would stop everything to take the call...and answer questions and BS or whatever. I got tired of that nonsense and told him I would be the secretary and answer his phone if need be. Nope, he insisted on taking his calls. It was the first and LAST time I had him do anything. After that, I ended up doing everything myself before taking it to a shop for paint. Dave is not a jerk or anything like that, he is a nice guy. But I was not happy with paying $240 for what translated into about 30 minutes of actual work. His quote for a "driver quality" paint job was beyond outrageous, and that is also another reason I never called him after that. My 2 cents.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
JointTech

good info. ill keep an eye on him. he did give me a quote which I am happy with if it stays anywhere near there.
Maybe Ill get one of those cellphone zappers they use when the pope or president is around. lol
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Bad business practice to take calls like that while on someone's dime. I would never hire anyone that did that nor could I recommend them.

When I was in sales and talking to a customer, I wouldn't answer the phone even if my boss called.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
hugger6933

This cell phone nonsense has gotten out of hand. Around here[in my part of AR] most places have put a sign up saying they won't wait on a customer if they are on the phone, it had gotten so bad at a grocery store two people would come in one go to the check out line call home to ask what was needed and then the third person would amble all over the store picking up stuff and bringing it by checkouts while "normal"people were trying to be done to move on with their lives. About the only people that call me at work [but I own the place] are my wife and my kids[hey dad I know I haven't been home in two months, can you call the bank for me and transfer some money love you got to go ] So those call don't take much of my time. I can really see where when I do have a customer with me that the phone needs to be on silent and just tucked away in the toolbox or the console of the truck or tool table. No distraction no problem. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
bigmac73

if you dont mind me asking what did he quote on the rockers?? and how big are your floor holes
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Tinkermc

We would have a come to Jesus meeting about what I'm paying for and NOT
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
JointTech

10-15 hours over 3 or 4 days. Heres a video of the rockers and floor.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
bigmac73

did you patch the floor or replace the whole panel?
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote