The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
earl84

PC based software recommendations for diagnostics

I am interested in purchasing some software that I can use on my laptop for reading codes, resetting codes, and getting real time data for looking at stuff like the Mass Airflow Sensor or the ABS, or the Crank sensor. Not wanting to do any kind of tuning, just a really, really good code reader. I used to have a mechanic, before I moved, that had one of these, and I would like to have that capability without spending thousands. http://www.otctools.com/products/gen...th_system_4.0_
I don't want to use it on my truck, since I have a plain Jane 350 in it. But on my old car or my kid's car, it would come in super handy sometimes. Anyone have some recommendations? Thanks for your help.

I posted this question somewhere else on the forums, but had pulled up an older thread, and I think it got deleted, which is cool. Seems like the knowledge for this type of software would reside in this section. Not that those that frequent the other sections wouldn't know as well. BTW, I. LOVE. THIS. FORUM.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: PC based software recommendations for diagnostics

The cost of that scanner is in excess of what even most of the high end tuning supplies run. iirc the thing you posted is similar to a Startach or the other "dealer" diagnostic tools. I'm guessing it would be able to read body control stuff as well (it better for the price).

For simply reading and clearing codes in real time, the ScanguageII, Aeroforce Scangauge, and the obdII->phone/tablet thingy, are the most popular for the price and features.

Anything north of that, and the Hp Tuners discussion will come out. It can read/monitor/log/clear codes, as well as work with the tranny tune (but cannot flash a TCM in the ultra late model stuff). Pricing is around $500 to start, and it has every feature, but requires the use of a laptop. While it satisfies what you want to do, it also gives the ability to tune for performance and driveability.... Understandably, some folks don't want to open that can of worms themselves.

It kinda comes down to how you feel you will use it. For my money, I'd rather gain the bonus of tuning for performance at the expense of a self-contained push button interface, but for many others the opposite would be tru.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
earl84

Hmm, Ok thanks for the response. Not sure I am ready to tackle doing any tuning at this point. Maybe a few years down the road, if at all. Sounds interesting, but if it could be screwed up, I would do it, haha.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
eagleuh1

I have HPTuners and just use it to change basic stuff in my PCM, and also check codes. I bought it when I did my first LS swap and used it to delete stuff that wasn't required or necessary. Also to change tire sizes... Worth the money. Someday I'll get the time to learn how to tune with it. Good luck Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V1-5-...item2ecb90af70

It's not PC based, but if you have an android phone or tablet with bluetooth, you can read and clear codes, and monitor real time parameters over the data link for $12...

I've personally run that adapter with the software in the past, and it works incredibly well.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
earl84

Hmm, and I have an iPhone. May have to look for an app. Thanks