The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
jrdamien

52 3100 Leaf Springs...Trailer Springs

Had a conversation tonight about the build, talking about a Chevelle rear end. A guy said he used 3 leaf heavy duty trailer leaf springs on his F150. Cost about $25 a pair.

Is this not an option to put leaf springs on a rear end swap? More or less the same dimensional springs and they come in a wide variety of load capacities...
jrdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
jrdamien

Re: 52 3100 Leaf Springs...Trailer Springs

I know the idea might be flat out dumb but I had to ask and bump it.
jrdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 52 3100 Leaf Springs...Trailer Springs

Most of the trailer springs that I have seen are pretty short and would probably beat you to death under a pickup.

I'm not sure what he calls "heavy Duty" but if you did do it you want springs rated for the weight of the rear half of the truck. That means about 2000 lbs per axle rating on the springs and maybe less.

A few of the guys have used Dodge Caravan springs with decent results and they are real easy to unbolt from the donor rig complete with brackets that all bolt on. I''m thinking they use the ones off the short wheelbase vans that are shorter than the long wheelbase Grand Caravan. I've got both an 87 Mini Ram van/panel and a 91 Grand Caravan that my wife drives and there is almost a foot difference in spring length.

You might also look under a lot of the older Datsun or Toyota pickups as they had some decent leaf springs under them or possibly find a used set for something that a guy had pulled off when he put lift springs on it. The local 4x4 shop might even have stock take off springs that might work just right if you snoop and the cost might not be that high.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote