The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
bigmac73

windshield replacement

Should i get a front windshield installed from a local glass company ? Do you know if they usually have gasket instock and do they deal with the chrome trim??
I realize these are generic questions but any info would help.
my gasket is deteriotated bad and starting to leak in the bottom corners plus i have a big crack in the middle
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
KEL
72 GMC

Re: windshield replacement

I bought my gasket from Wes at Classic Heartbeat.\
He is on the site here. Most gaskets are the wrong size even
though they are sold for our trucks. Buy it from him and
you should be all set. I had mine done at an auto
body/restoration shop. Worked out well for me.
Good luck.

Members I have met :
2014.02.01: bruceman1968, Mr Handy, colgad, RenoKeene, CaptRMW
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Most windshield repair or replace shops do not have the people that know how to do these trucks, all windshields are glued in now, unless they have an old school person that still works for them. Its all most like an art to putting these in. Just ask around your area maybe someone knows somebody that stiil does them. Thats what i had to do and he even came to my shop to do it.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
chopnchaneled

I went on line and found a company called safelite.com they came to the shop and installed mine and supplied the gasket also.
The guy that installed it let one of the wiper arms slip when he was removing it and scratched the hood and they paid for the repair.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopnchaneled View Post
I went on line and found a company called safelite.com they came to the shop and installed mine and supplied the gasket also.
The guy that installed it let one of the wiper arms slip when he was removing it and scratched the hood and they paid for the repair.

i looked at safe lite, they get good reviews, will probably check them out,
thanks guys
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
kcsa75

Do you have Binswanger Glass in your area? I used them to replace my windshield because they had the best price and were close to the house. They said they could get a new gasket or I could provide it. I bought a Precision gasket from GMC Paul.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
i looked at safe lite, they get good reviews, will probably check them out,
thanks guys
Safelite is real hit and miss. They replaced my windshield last year. They showed up without a gasket, and convinced me my 45 year old one was just fine. I was reluctant, but let them proceed. When they were done, I was disappointed they they didn't install a clear window like the truck had. It had that stupid tinted bar at the top, and it felt like I had on sunglasses at night as I drove, since it was right in my line it sight. I had them come back and do the job over with a clear window and a new gasket.

All was fine and dandy, until it rained a couple weeks later. Then you could see the window leaking water on to the dash. Would you believe it took about 4 additional tries before they finally fixed the leak? It wasn't until an older, more seasoned guy at the shop itself (vs coming to me with their van) discovered that the guys left off the caulk sealer at the bottom center of the window. I guess the guys before were too damn short or lazy or both. Oh, another thing. One of the original guys opened up my doors, stood on the edge of the cab floor, and was leaning against my open door hard as he installed the glass. I almost said something, but figured it must be ok, and I shouldn't be a picky ass about it. Well, a couple days later, that door's hinge pin sheared off and the door almost fell off. Had to replace the hinge and get it all lined up again. Fun stuff.

So, in the end they got the window taken care of, but I think time would really need to be a healer before I'd have them do my window again....
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
72 Copper C-10

make sure there is no rust under the gasket or around it because there usually is.
72 Copper C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Do you have Binswanger Glass in your area? I used them to replace my windshield because they had the best price and were close to the house. They said they could get a new gasket or I could provide it. I bought a Precision gasket from GMC Paul.
yes they quoted me 140.00 installed , i was kind of leary and surprised a new glass at LMC cost that much,
My plan was to cut out the old one do some good clean up around the gasket sealing area and hit it with some etching primer and rustoleum just for safety and get one installed, Classic heart beat has a gasket , and i heard good things about it but there website is basic and i do not like not getting shipping up dates on stuff i buy and order status , i will look at GMC pauls