The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
bigmac73

Kick panel speakers

i got my new set of pioneer kick panel speakers today, first of all i was a little disappointed on how thin the panels are , but none the less, there are no screw holes for mounting the instructions say to just slide them in and they go under the door rubber??? does this work or do you guys, add some holes and screw them up to fit firm??
i was thinking of using my dremel for a couple of small screws to mount them
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Evaded

Re: Kick panel speakers

Im not too sure, never seen the pioneer ones post some pics....

Eric (Evaded)
Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
diggerbob

I got a pair of those plastic kick panels too. The Pioneers speakers that I got with them were shallow speakers but still barely cleared the steel kick panel. They made no bass and I could barely hear them over my exhaust. They also rattled against the steel kick panel when I turned them up. I wasn't happy with the sound so I got some better speakers but they were too deep and the speaker magnets touched the metal kick panels so I cut a ring out of plywood and made a spacer to bring the speakers out a bit. Then I also cut a thin piece of plywood for each kick panel so that I could seal the back of each panel. I stuffed some insulation in each panel then glued the wood to the back side of each kick panel with some silicone adhesive. I attached each plastic kick panel to the steel kick panel using self tapping screws but first, I put several of those little self adhering, felt, table lamp bottom dots/cushions around the back of each kick panel to keep it from rattling. This made a major improvement to the bass as well as the overall sound levels in my truck. Regardless of whether you upgrade your speakers or not, I would recommend that you install some insulation at the back of each kick panel and seal them from behind by cutting and installing a thin piece of plywood for each panel before securing them to your existing steel kick panels with a couple of self tapping screws.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
bigmac73

well i thought about upgrading to some pioneer 4 way speakers, it is pitiful about the quality of stuff that is sold for our trucks and pushed by people who say they own the same model of trucks as well, and i still have to do more improvements to get a good product
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote