The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
GAc10boy

Static drop (front) & air ride (rear) suggestions

First post here. Hope this is the right place!

Haven't had a classic truck since high school (over a decade ago) but I have my sights set on a great condition '71 Custom Deluxe to be my daily driver. Yes, I'm getting rid of my modern SUV!

My question is this: Since this will be my daily driver and I still want to be able to haul things (furniture, maybe a small atv trailer), what static drop in front and air ride in the rear set-up do you guys suggest?

I've scoured the threads here and, for economical reasons, I think I'd like to do a ECE 2.5" spindle with their 1.5" coil up front and (possibly) their rear air ride suspension kit. I do not want to notch the frame and I want the best ride possible since it will be a DD.

For reference, I'd like to run 20" wheels with likely 255/40 series tires all around. Any issues I should be concerned with regarding camber in the front due to the adjustability in the rear?

Feel free to post up pics of your static front/ air ride rear rides. Thanks!
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
MSHax

Re: Static drop (front) & air ride (rear) suggestions

You're in luck with the 71 c10, you have several options for drop spindles. I purposely bought a long bed for all the reasons you described. I have some tossed quads, couches, refrigerator, and many more items in my bed. If you want to go budget, I'd do a simple bag, bracket setup, with a line and Schrader valve. Since you don't need to be lifting and lowering at every corner, you'd save a ton of money on parts since bags are like $120, brackets are about $60, and the line kit is only about $40.

I actually had a 72 with a 2" spindle, and a 2" coil. I was running 245/45-20 which is taller than what you're planning. I had a few issues with the steeper than average driveways. I was no longer able to go to the burger king by my house, but that's a good thing, my truck kept me on a no burger king diet.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
ZUBZ

MSHAX please can you post some pics of your truck so we can see the setup you speak of. Thanks

My 1970 C10 Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542560
ZUBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAc10boy View Post
First post here. Hope this is the right place!

Haven't had a classic truck since high school (over a decade ago) but I have my sights set on a great condition '71 Custom Deluxe to be my daily driver. Yes, I'm getting rid of my modern SUV!

My question is this: Since this will be my daily driver and I still want to be able to haul things (furniture, maybe a small atv trailer), what static drop in front and air ride in the rear set-up do you guys suggest?

I've scoured the threads here and, for economical reasons, I think I'd like to do a ECE 2.5" spindle with their 1.5" coil up front and (possibly) their rear air ride suspension kit. I do not want to notch the frame and I want the best ride possible since it will be a DD.

For reference, I'd like to run 20" wheels with likely 255/40 series tires all around. Any issues I should be concerned with regarding camber in the front due to the adjustability in the rear?

Feel free to post up pics of your static front/ air ride rear rides. Thanks!
Spindles & cut coils up front. Bags, blocks, & c-notches out back. 27.6" tall front tires; 29" tall rears...
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
ZUBZ

Thanks Scoti, how many coils cut in front?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBZ View Post
Thanks Scoti, how many coils cut in front?
1 coil cut. In my opinion, if anything more is required to achieve the desired stance, a different spring should be utilized.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
1 coil cut. In my opinion, if anything more is required to achieve the desired stance, a different spring should be utilized.
Problem I have is drum brakes up front still, I am working on upgrading disk brakes so I can purchase spindles.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Problem I have is drum brakes up front still, I am working on upgrading disk brakes so I can purchase spindles.
Discs & drop spindles is the way to go. That 68 in the pics had that disc swap done & front suspension rebuild (BJ's, tie-rods, etc...). I added fresh gas shocks plus a HD 1.25" sway bar w/poly bushings too. Night & day difference driving down the road.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
GAc10boy

Thanks for the responses! I may end up doing a 3.5x5 ECE kit. Wouldn't shortened bump stops help with bottoming out in the rear? Any suggestions there?

Also tire recommendations and back spacing? Not sure that I want to go with a larger tire in rear/steep rake look.
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Discs & drop spindles is the way to go. That 68 in the pics had that disc swap done & front suspension rebuild (BJ's, tie-rods, etc...). I added fresh gas shocks plus a HD 1.25" sway bar w/poly bushings too. Night & day difference driving down the road.
I really want to go the discs and spindle route however because I am on the other side of the world shipping the items is working out a lot so I will have to wait on this. I first need to order my rocker panels and mirrors etc.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
MSHax

Quote:
MSHAX please can you post some pics of your truck so we can see the setup you speak of. Thanks
I'd LOVE to show you pics of my past vehicles, HELL, I'd love to show you pics of my kids in February. My problem is I believe in technology. Every picture I've taken was scanned and put into high resolution digital format, then stored safely on a hard drive for easy access for decades to come. But!!! When you go away to LA for a week long trip, and get a call from your neighbor saying that water is flowing out the front door like a water fall, technology doesn't do well. I had a lake in my house from an upstairs toilet supply line that broke, and filled my house for 5 days. Everything electric in my house was completely destroyed. The only pictures I have are ones I've taken since then. Luckily I had some printed baby pics of my kids or else all of that would have been gone. I do have some cool pics of a my house being rebuilt from over $200,000 worth of water damage. Cool warehouse huh? oh wait, that's my livingroom

It's like my life began in May of this year
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
ZUBZ

MSHAX, buddy shame sorry to hear about the damages. Even though technology is taking over I still feel keeping photos is still the best unless of course that also gets water damaged ......Lesson learnt don't go to LA...... haha

When you all settled and house rebuilt please share some pictures.

All the best with the rebuild.....

Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
MSHax

Quote:
......Lesson learnt don't go to LA...... haha
AGREED!!

It's all rebuilt now, only took them 4 months to put in all new floors, ceilings, walls, and a bunch of electrical.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
bodydrop

I know this may sound stupid but what exactly is a static drop
bodydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
epon

Static means you cant change it like air ride, not sure if adjustable coilovers are considered static or not.
epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Keating121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop View Post
I know this may sound stupid but what exactly is a static drop
Simply put, it's permanent. You change things like springs, spindles (where the brakes & wheel attaches to the front suspension), and put blocks in-between the rear axle and suspension. Air bags are used to change the ride height by adding & removing air pressure in the system. You can change your trucks stance (how it sits) in a few seconds...

Only 6 post, must be new around here! No dumb questions!! I'm pretty new here too!