The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Reyals Bemus

All new suspension... why is the ride so bouncy?

I've replaced every single wearable component in my '64 C10 panel truck's front suspension with top quality Moog or Raybestos parts. The front end has been lowered with drop spindles and 1.5" lowering springs. The rear has 4" lowering springs. An ECE 1 1/4" sway bar has also been installed up front.

I've gone through three different sets of shocks trying to find good ride quality, but I just don't feel like its there. The front shock control is the main problem. First I had KYB Excels (also knows as GR-2s). Those were totally lame. Endless bounce over every bump. So I stepped up to KYB Gas-a-justs. Those were better, but still didn't control the bounce as well as they should. By bounce, I mean the truck's tendency to continue bobbing up and down after hitting a bump. So finally I shifted gears and sprung (haha) for Bilstein 4600s hoping that their superb reputation meant a superbly designed shock. To my dismay, I could not feel a single difference between the Bilsteins and the Gas-a-justs! It just feels like all these shocks are under-dampened, especially on rebound control.

What am I missing here? Am I asking too much of this old truck? I own other 60s era vehicles that all ride better than my panel. Can anyone make recommendations?

Last edited by Reyals Bemus; 10-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Robznob11

Re: All new suspension... why is the ride so bouncy?

Only thing i can think of is... Are you running stock length shocks or shorter ones. With the drop you would need shorter shocks so that they are working in the best range of the shock. With a tall shock it will be collapsed at normal hieght and therefor loose its ability to dampen and control the movement. If you have the correct drop shocks well then i dont know....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Are the shocks up and down? Take a look and make certain they are not angled at ride height. If they are angled at ride height you need brackets that will bring them up and down.
The other thing you need to double check as mentioned above is the length.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Reyals Bemus

Good points fellas. I am in fact running stock height shocks. But would that 1.5" effective control arm drop (which really amounts to less than an inch back at the shock mount) really decrease the shock's operational value that much?

I wouldn't mind getting away from the factory upper shock mount though. It seems to be a potential weak point. Any recommendations on a good pair of relocation brackets?

As for shock angle, they are leaned over maybe 20-25°, maybe more. Too much?

Last edited by Reyals Bemus; 10-04-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus View Post
I wouldn't mind getting away from the factory upper shock mount though. It seems to be a potential weak point. Any recommendations on a good pair of relocation brackets?
PM me. I think I might have what you need.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
71swb4x4

It sounds like you have found your problem. You need to buy correct length shocks for the drop, and you need to relocate the shocks mounting points.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Here are some front relocation brackets: http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...k/6072FUSB.htm

Here is their whole shock page: http://www.classicperform.com/Chevy-Truck.htm#31

Here is why your shocks aren't working:
If they are at a 20 degree angle when sitting at ride height, that angle only gets worse when you hit a bump. If they are straight up and down at ride height, when you hit a bump the shock only has one direction to go, and that into itself so it can do its job of dampening your ride. When the shock is at an angle it goes into itself a little, but it also pivots.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Reyals Bemus

Cool. Sounds like I might be able to kill two birds with one stone by using the right relocation brackets that will restore proper shock height and angle it more vertical!

Hey chevyrestoguy, PM sent.

Thanks for the diagnostic help so far guys.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
kaycee

Yeah I think I read awhile back not to go over 18* tilt,I put a 2/4 drop on my truck ,bouncy as all get out.I made some shock mounts to adjust the angle(Thanks to this forum) look down in the FAQ part of this forum.I allso did some research on shocks and went with some good ol Monroes for 1/4 of the price of KYB OR Bilstins and it rides like dream.I only have a few miles on it so don't know if they will last
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Reyals Bemus

So to update this thread, I addressed the issue by fabricating a pair of upper shock mount relocators that move the top of the shock outward as suggested. They stand up more vertically now and aren't as compressed at ride height. I've only driven the truck once so far but it seems immensely improved. I'm amazed how much of a difference it made! Thanks again guys.