The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
72ChevyMan1

Remove dash pad and guage cluster question

I'm needing to remove my dash pad as it is in horrendous shape. I know there are nuts on inside of dash. How do you get to them? How do I remove the dash pad. Also, how do you remove the gauge cluster? I have all screws out as well as knobs but it will not budge or come out. Thanks for any help
72ChevyMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
TheSeeker

Re: Remove dash pad and guage cluster question

If you are working with a stock gauge cluster, you might have missed the mechanical oil pressure line. Reach under the dash and see if there is a steel line screwed into the back of the oil pressure gauge (if you have one)

If all the screws and knobs and the o.p. line are off, the cluster should come out enough to unhook the wiring in the back, and then come out.

The dash pad nuts are located under the dash and spaced a 3-4 inches apart If I remember right. It is easiest to take off with the cluster and glove box removed. If you have a radio installed there is one right around that area as well.

The dashpad was one tricky SOB to remove, but with some patience and a good swivel joint socket you should be fine.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
72ChevyMan1

I must have missed that line. Haha. I will be in the garage shortly and will definitely try it. Thank you very much. ya the dash pad looks like it'll be a pain in the a$$. Thank you though that helps a lot. Now when I remove the oil pressure line will it mess any of it up when I go to reconnect it?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Lattimer

The cluster you have to remove the speedo cable and the wire plug by reaching up under the dash. You have to remove the knobs and the screw on trim for the headlight and wiper switches, then take out the screws. Sometimes you also have to lower the steering column a little to get it out.

Dashpad has screws across the front kind of underneath, and 6 or 8 nuts on the inside. You need to remove the glovebox to get the right side an be ready to stand on your head. If you are not skinny (I'm far from it) its easier if you pull the seat out first. I had trouble with the nuts all the way in the corners and the one right over the radio.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Remove dash pad and guage cluster question

If you have all the screws out of the cluster then drop the steering bracket down up under the dash and disconnect the speed ometer cable and the oil pressure line. Take the electric plug loose and it should come out.
Once U have the oil line loose don't crank the truck, if U do it will pump oil into the cab and all over the carpet.
For the dash pad U need to remove the paper glove box and the nuts are right at the top of the dash all the way across it. If I remember right they are 1/4 20 nuts.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
72ChevyMan1

Thank you! Hopefully this will all help me get it out easier. Long n slow is this project. Thanks guys