The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
58-GMC

Greetings from Minnesota

Hey guys!

I wanted to drop by to finally introduce myself to this wonderful forum and share my 58 GMC project.

A little back story on my truck…

My great-grandfather bought this truck from the original owner (can't remember the year) to use around the farm. After he got his use out of it he handed down the truck to my dad, as he showed the most passion and enthusiasm for restoring vehicles. You see my dad went to school for auto body repair and enjoyed tinkering with everything.

After my dad drove the truck for a few years he decided to park it in his shop – hoping to begin restoring it. He always just wanted to get it looking and running good, but never any interest in a trailer queen - he wanted to drive it.

A few years later I came to be and would begin helping him as soon as I was old enough to hold a wrench. It was a very drawn out process (20+ years) as he always had so many other things going on. He could never dedicate all of his spare time to this project. I continued to help when I could, up until four years ago when my dad passed away from stomach cancer. Pretty much the worst day of my life. It hurt so bad and is still very difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that he is gone.

From his passing the truck landed in my hands. Unfortunately I really have no idea how to do the work he was doing to fix the truck myself so I frequent these forums looking for ideas. I have been using the last four years planning how I would finish this build in honor of him - many thanks to this very community for the build-ups and inspiration! Luckily I am very fortunate to have a wife that is incredibly supportive and backs me 100% - even if she might not fully understand, haha.

In the very near future I hope to see some progress with the truck. It will take some time but I know my dad would be proud. I stay motivated thinking of the memories I have of working on this truck with him…and knowing one day my two kids will get to sit behind the wheel!

Thanks for reading - glad to be apart of this amazing community!
58-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
58-GMC

Re: Greetings from Minnesota

Here is a pic of how the truck is sitting now...

Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
58-GMC

A few plans for the 58...

Removing the original 336 V8 and transmission – replacing with a 6.0 LQ4 that a buddy built. Looking for a 4l80e transmission to pair with it.

Installing Porterbult Extreme Front and Rear Dropmember kits this winter/spring with an Accuair e-Level setup.

Truck will also be getting a little taken off the back when I install the rear kit. Currently the truck is the longbox – making it into a short box. Bed will be be cut to create a short box too.

Really looking forward to seeing this thing on the ground!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Sounds like a great plan, do a build thread on it bud!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
1ATony

Welcome to the site
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
58-GMC

@Clyde65 - Once I get rolling on the modifications I will definitely put up a build thread.

@1ATony - Thanks!