The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Jahloha

How To Pull Engine/Trans Together

Team:

This is my first time pulling an engine, so I am a little hesitant about it. My Factory Assembly Manual & Factory Chassis Manual has not arrived yet, assuming it would provide me with this information, but I am ahead of schedule and would like to begin pulling the engine this week.

I would really appreciate anyone's help and providing me a check list of things to do, in order to pull the engine and trans together.

I have already removed the front clip, so access will not be an issue.

I want to make sure I don't screw anything up because of my ignorance. So again, any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,

J

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: How To Pull Engine/Trans Together

pretty simple, remove- radiator hoses,fuel line to pump from tank, tranny lines,driveshaft, linkage, exhaust flanges, motor mounts bolts,throttle linkage, elec wires from dizzy, oil gage line, ground cable from battery,
you will have to slide the tranny crossmember back out of the way, i would put a jack under the tranny to keep it stable and have some lower it down as you pull the assembly out and guide it
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
pretty simple, remove- radiator hoses,fuel line to pump from tank, tranny lines,driveshaft, linkage, exhaust flanges, motor mounts bolts,throttle linkage, elec wires from dizzy, oil gage line, ground cable from battery,
you will have to slide the tranny crossmember back out of the way, i would put a jack under the tranny to keep it stable and have some lower it down as you pull the assembly out and guide it
Not to assume, but I would pull all the lines/hoses at the engine, correct? For example, I pulled the front clip, so rad hose is off the clip, to pull the engine, I would pull from the engine and now have a hose by itself.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
bigmac73

how ever you want to do it, you can leave them on or off, i usually leave them attached to the radiator when i pull it out to get it out of the way, so i dont damage it, but if you got the whole front end off you have plenty of room , since you are pulling the engine , i am sure it would be good a idea to go back with all new hoses when you put it back in ,
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
bigmac73

also looking at your build thread, i would pull the carb and dizzy out to get it out of the way , so your engine life chain dose not bind or rub against anything
Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
swamp rat

Plus 2 ^ Get that distributor out of the way before it hits the firewall, I'd also remove the carb.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Use a spare driveshaft yoke or piece of heavy plastic wrapped with duct tape on the rear of the tranny to keep from losing tranny fluid all over the floor where you're working.Don't forget to get all linkage,tranny and clutch (if equipped) and motor mount bolts.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
ole dollor

X 2 on the slip yoke in the back of the trans....it will save A lot of clean up...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
hugger6933

With the front off you won't have any problems get the fuel line at the pump, take the exhaust lose at the manifolds and set aside the power steering pump [if you have one] don't forget the throttle linkage /cable. Also make sure to pull the starter off so it doesn't hit the front crossmember and break something. Just take your time and look at everything twice. Go from one point all the way around to the firewall and back again checking for stuff to hang you up.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
litew8

Since you are pulling them together as 'one', insure the engine cherry picker you use (assuming you are planning on using one) is set to the max. (or applicable) ton, is capable, secured and safe!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
Jahloha

Quote:
also looking at your build thread, i would pull the carb and dizzy out to get it out of the way , so your engine life chain dose not bind or rub against anything
Great pointer, will do that for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Use a spare driveshaft yoke or piece of heavy plastic wrapped with duct tape on the rear of the tranny to keep from losing tranny fluid all over the floor where you're working.Don't forget to get all linkage,tranny and clutch (if equipped) and motor mount bolts.
Makes a lot of sense, glad I learned this now, not after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
With the front off you won't have any problems get the fuel line at the pump, take the exhaust lose at the manifolds and set aside the power steering pump [if you have one] don't forget the throttle linkage /cable. Also make sure to pull the starter off so it doesn't hit the front crossmember and break something. Just take your time and look at everything twice. Go from one point all the way around to the firewall and back again checking for stuff to hang you up.
Are there any parts that I should be careful removing or unbolting, mostly concerned with possible calibration issues afterwards. Or if that is unavoidable, just let me know. Thanks Hugger.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

More Info!! Why are you pulling the engine? There are some reasons that would make a difference on what advice we can give.If you're doing a rebuild,then not much will need to be left alone.If you're just doing a reseal and detail,the less you mess with the better.Lots of variables depending on the goal.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
More Info!! Why are you pulling the engine? There are some reasons that would make a difference on what advice we can give.If you're doing a rebuild,then not much will need to be left alone.If you're just doing a reseal and detail,the less you mess with the better.Lots of variables depending on the goal.
PanelD:

Haha my bad. I am doing a rebuild.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
bbcmudtruck

With the front clip off, thats going to be as easy as it gets right there! I also pull my spark plugs out. I just don't want to the extra risk of snapping one off. You also need to pull your headers or exhaust. I always pull my water pump and all the front end accesories, however since your front clip is off, there would be no need. You will also need to detach your power steering if equipped. If your doing a complete tear down of the motor, don't worry about the distributor position at this point and time. Just start reading up on how to find tdc and set the dizzy when your motor is completed.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
With the front clip off, thats going to be as easy as it gets right there! I also pull my spark plugs out. I just don't want to the extra risk of snapping one off. You also need to pull your headers or exhaust. I always pull my water pump and all the front end accesories, however since your front clip is off, there would be no need. You will also need to detach your power steering if equipped. If your doing a complete tear down of the motor, don't worry about the distributor position at this point and time. Just start reading up on how to find tdc and set the dizzy when your motor is completed.
Would I pull the exhaust at the manifolds?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
bigmac73

you can i guess that depends on how nasty and rusty your manifold donut studs are , i would leave them on the head and just undo the donut studs, (manifold collector) to the pipe flange
Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Jahloha

Quote:
you can i guess that depends on how nasty and rusty your manifold donut studs are , i would leave them on the head and just undo the donut studs, (manifold collector) to the pipe flange
Awesome, makes sense. Thanks.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread