The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Smurfeh

Heat Generating Methods (cold weather starts)

Alright, well as most of you dont know.. I live in Yellowknife NWT Canada. During the winter overnight temps can reach -55C with a windchill. I was required to remove my block heater to install my DDingo Mounts. I still havent found an alternative method of heating the block. I use an inline coolant heater, and a "buddy heater" in my engine Bay to produce heat. Its still not enough. Pretty sure removing the by pass on the steam ports and porting it back to the TB would help slighty. My major concern is temp on start up. 1984 K5 5.3L 4L60e Aluminum Block and pan.

Need to pick some brains on a few Items:

1) Alternative location to install the block heater.
2) Anyone create a oil pan heater though the oil pan drain plug or an idea of how I could do that?
3) Any Advice to generate heat while it sits overnight OUTSIDE, putting it inside is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!!

Thanks guys!
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: Heat Generating Methods (cold weather starts)

found a couple that might help...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tank-type-e...1648d50977u0j1

http://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm

how a guy did his:
http://www.spokanister.net/vehicles_block_heater.htm

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Smurfeh

Thank you very much for your reply.

That is the exact inline coolant Heater that I already use. As for the heating pad for the bottom of the pan.. I have tried that one already I can't use a magnetic one as I have an Aluminum pan, and most of the adheasive that they use does not hold up to the cold AT all it ends up just peeling off and laying in your driveway.

I really appreaciate you taking the time to look up those options for me though!! I will tell you this! The inline coolant heater is the cats ass.. its great for up to -30C on its own, anything below that though and you need more to provide enough heat to allow for a proper start.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
chebyshortbox65

Remove a freeze plug an modify for a block heater
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
yossarian19

If you aren't using the oil level sensor on the bottom of the pan, what about pulling that out & see what you can fit in there?
Otherwise... I'd look into different motor mounts & see if one of them will allow the OE block heater.
Or move somewhere far, far south.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
If you aren't using the oil level sensor on the bottom of the pan, what about pulling that out & see what you can fit in there?
I'd look into something like this.

I've seen 1/2" and 3/4" NPT block heaters, I don't know the exact size of the threads on that oil level sensor hole, but I know it is a large hole. Possibly you could drill/tap it out larger for a larger block heater, or make a bushing for a smaller heater. I know I've seen bushings for the sensor hole made with 1/8" npt threads for temp gauges.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
69gmcc10

Have you tried a dipstick heater?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=419954
http://www.tractorsupply.com/other-t...heater-0191932

I have also turned on a trouble light and set it under the hood on cold nights (keep it a safe distance from anything that can melt or start a fire.

The third thing you could do is move south, below the arctic circle would be advisable.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
Have you tried a dipstick heater?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=419954
http://www.tractorsupply.com/other-t...heater-0191932

I have also turned on a trouble light and set it under the hood on cold nights (keep it a safe distance from anything that can melt or start a fire.

The third thing you could do is move south, below the arctic circle would be advisable.
I could be wrong, but I believe dipstick heaters are outlawed in Canada due to being blamed for many fires.

As far as the trouble light idea, it is very inefficient, much of the heat will be lost to the atmosphere, and it doesn't come close to offering the heat his inline heater already gives off. The one thing it may help do, is keep the battery warm enough to provide more CCA if it is placed close enough to the battery, but his buddy heater already has that covered.

Which brings me to another thought, do you have hood insulation? If not ADD IT! Heat rises, it will help to hold in what heat is leftover from your drive home, and keep the heat produced by your various heaters where it needs to be.

Also, I know you said putting it inside is not an option, but maybe building a shelter to park inside would be well worth it. Even uninsulated it would retain some of the heat produced by your heaters, but most of all it would protect it from the wind, which would push alot of the heat you are producing right out of the engine bay.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
69gmcc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe dipstick heaters are outlawed in Canada due to being blamed for many fires.

As far as the trouble light idea, it is very inefficient, much of the heat will be lost to the atmosphere, and it doesn't come close to offering the heat his inline heater already gives off. The one thing it may help do, is keep the battery warm enough to provide more CCA if it is placed close enough to the battery, but his buddy heater already has that covered.

Which brings me to another thought, do you have hood insulation? If not ADD IT! Heat rises, it will help to hold in what heat is leftover from your drive home, and keep the heat produced by your various heaters where it needs to be.

Also, I know you said putting it inside is not an option, but maybe building a shelter to park inside would be well worth it. Even uninsulated it would retain some of the heat produced by your heaters, but most of all it would protect it from the wind, which would push alot of the heat you are producing right out of the engine bay.
I was just throwing out some ideas because the man seems to limited by his options. I have never used a dipstick heater, but i can see the potential for fire danger. The trouble light isn't the best option but it is much better than nothing and its lazier than mr. buddy.

Other options are to park out of the wind, the hood heater idea and cover the front clip of the truck with a secured canvas tarp to hold more of that heat in that GCncsuHD suggested.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
68GMCCustom

sounds like you have the coolant covered, and just need find a way to heat the oil. I'd suggest looking at aftermarket oil pans that will do what you need if the factory ones won't work.

That...or just drill and tap the bottom half of your pan (in a spot that won't cause interference) and install one of those zerostart block heaters? Then wire it to your existing coolant heater so both are on one plug?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Smurfeh

hey Everyone Thank you for all the great suggestions! They are all greatly appreactiated! The Dipstick heater is out.. they are considered a safety hazard here as previously mentioned! I do park it out of the wind between in a little "car port" one of those light canvas jobbies. Insulation I use on the inside portion of the hood is from the sidewalls of one of our aircraft up here that is used to insulate the fuselage between the cabin from the outside air temps. I've just gotten to the point where I have been throwing a Electric blanket over the engine. It works for the most part.. but remembering to pull it out before I roll and having to bring it with me is a real pain. I also have the lower portion of the engine bay insulated with a moving blanket secured to avoid any movement or it dropping out, and comes up and covers the front clip.. Battery blanket wraps the battery, and the buddy heater blows across the battery to the R/H side of the engine.

Oil level sensor would be a good bet!! didn't even think about this one... I am using the Active fuel management system though.. doesn't the Ecm need that input?

As for an other freeze plug.. this was the only one I saw.. well there was another one.. but the stock heater wouldn't fit in there.. know of another place that i might be over looking? dont seem to see one myself.

I've been pretty lucky with the cold lately.. except last night it hit maybe -40c I will say this though these engines do love the cold when they are running.. or starting above -30C
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

What about a lower radiator hose heater? You remove part of the rad hose and install this. It heats the engine coolant. I guess they are a bit finicky to setup the first time but they work decent.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/...Fao7MgodA1oA4g

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
4x4toy

http://www.frostheater.com/

These are used by VW TDI guys, I don't have one, but they seem to work well.
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
68GMCCustom

oh....what about adding an external oil filter setup.....with some type of heater/pump in between or in place of?

Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Smurfeh

Alright with winter here.. I'm back to the drawing board.. Over last winter my inline coolant heater was doing the trick, but not as well as it could be.. I just want to pick someones brain here to ensure I have installed it correctly.

It said I needed to put the inlet of the heater in suction position.. in the instructions they suggested splicing into the upper rad hose and putting the outlet flowing into the passenger heater core. Does this make sense?

What direction is the flow from the pump to the heater core and also the flow through the rad? Thank you for your time guys.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Angryman117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
What about a lower radiator hose heater? You remove part of the rad hose and install this. It heats the engine coolant. I guess they are a bit finicky to setup the first time but they work decent.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/...Fao7MgodA1oA4g
I used those when I used to live in Northern MN. They work good and fairly easy to install.
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Smurfeh

So its the lower I wanted to tap into not the top?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Angryman117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfeh View Post
So its the lower I wanted to tap into not the top?
Corret, That way the heat rises from the heater into the engine and the radiator.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Smurfeh

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tank-type-e...1648d50977u0j1

This is the very one I'm using.. its a tank type. It has an internal pump.. are we talking about the same animal? or are you talking about a true inline heater that just taps into one hose alone? This one needs to be routed back into the Passenger heater core apparently. Thats how the instructions asked it to be layed out. Ideally they wanted it tapped off of the drain plug, on the suction side of things, but I can't use my drain plugs as they are blocked off by my DDmounts.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Heat Generating Methods (cold weather starts)

How about this. A motor blanket.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...Fahj7AodaToAng

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Smurfeh

Already use an electrical blanket on the top of the engine, but thank you and I also have the bottom covered up with a moving blanket to stop the wind from getting up and inside.. and you better believe the grill is covered too.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Angryman117

The one that Brew linked to is just a heater and does not circulate the coolent. Talked to my brother in Alaska and he uses the pad that you glue to the bottum of the oil pan. Here is a link link to one of many choices.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
akdg87

use a pad style heater with the high-temp silicone to adhere it to the bottom of the oil pan and another to the transmission pan, i used the trans-dapt mounts for my ls swap and was able to retain the driver side block heater. Not sure if you could switch to the bung on the passenger side of the block? I live in the interior of Alaska and during the winter we regularly see temps of -55 below Fahrenheit.
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #24
BigDan3131

Moroso makes a few different ones as well:http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/239...oductId=752890 and this:http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/239...oductId=745633

1965 GMC 3/4 Ton LB SOLD?
1964 Chevy El Camino in full restoration
1991 Chevy S10 288K+ miles 2nd Owner SOLD

2020 RAM 1500 Warlock
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #25
Smurfeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan3131 View Post
Ding ding ding! we have a winner.. I'm going to order two of those self contained unit.(1 is for a spare) Better believe that oil drain is getting tapped for that.