The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
ironadict

Anyone pushed a Viair comp?

Hey so I'm running 2 viair 450c on 2 5 gal tanks. Previously I had a 110-145psi pressure switch. Well I just upgraded to an Air Zenith adjustable pre set at 125-165 and I got a huge difference in pressure. So I cranked it up higher and got even MORE lift and speed. But I realize that turned all the way up my compressors wont turn off like they aren't hitting the 200psi. I know the 450c is rated at 150psi max but clearly I'm getting more than that. So I'm just wondering if anyone with gauges in their ride has pushed these to see what PSI they can REALLY put out.
Come guys, let me know so I don't have to go buy and install gauges

Happy Holidays Folks!
ironadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
hellbent72

Re: Anyone pushed a Viair comp?

It will build more than 150psi but with that extra psi past 150psi it will work harder and generate more heat and excess heat kills electric motors. The cooler a electric motor runs the longer it will last.
My 380 viar is rated at 200psi and when I had a pressure switch fail it got to 300+psi. You need a gauge or at least the pressure relief valve that will blow off at 200psi imo
hellbent72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
ironadict

Right on for the reply. I got that it will push more. No need for a pressure release valve cause I can set this pressure switch to shut off my comps at what ever psi I need em to turn off at.
I didn't know the 380s could go that high. That's impressive. No way my 450s are gonna go that high. I'd say they are about 175 or 180 right now. If I turn my switch up higher they just stay pumping so there's no point.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Pro Performance

What hellbent said is good advice. The compressor can pump to a higher pressure, but it is not intended to do so, and may reduce life of the compressor. A safety valve is definitely a good idea on any system, and is a great backup in case the pressure switch fails. On a 150 PSI system, we use a 175 safety, and a 250 PSI safety on a 200 PSI system. THis safety will save the compressor form over working, or over pressurizing the tank, depending on its rating. It is a safety device, and not meant to act as a pressure switch.

In your case, since you are running a little over 150 PSI, VIAIR makes a 205 PSI pressure switch. You want to give a little room, since there is a tolerance in the pressure switches and safety valves. If you take the pressure switch back down to 150 PSI, then I would go with a 175 PSI safety valve.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
ironadict

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, I see what your saying. As a safety precaution that makes sense.
I have a 480 sitting around so I guess I'll just upgrade to actual 200psi rated comps instead of trying to push the 450s past their rating. Thanks for the info guys that was helpful.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Pro Performance

No problem.

If you still want to use the 450C, just operate it off a 150 PSI switch, and wiring the 480C up on a 200 PSI switch. This way you can get dual comps up to 150, then the 450C shuts off, and the 480C takes it the rest of the way to 200 PSI.

If you run that way, I would use a 250 PSI valve (vs. 175 PSI), so it doesn't pop open when your filling up to 200 PSI. The 250 PSI safety will still act as a safety for the 450C, and will pop open to save comps, etc. Running the 450C once up to 250 PSI won't hurt, if something should fail.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote