The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
64chevmn

Bottom of door gap to rocker panel

Due to rust, I'm replacing the inner and outer rocker panels on my 64 Chevy project. I have the new inner rockers/floor pan piece welded in place along with the lower front dog leg/a-pillar. When I set the outer rocker in place and hang the door to check the lower door gap to the rocker panel, I have only about an 1/8-inch gap. I have very nice door gaps along the top and side that line up with the body lines so I dont want to raise the door up any further. I tried loosening all the bolts that hold the inner rocker/floor pan section to the cab supports in an attempt to get the inner rocker/floor to drop down another 1/8-inch or so with no luck (the floor section is nice and tight against the cab supports). I tried using a block of wood and a hammer to force the inner rocker/floor pan down, but I'm nervous about causing other problems if I start banging away. Does anybody have any better ways to get my outer rocker panel to drop down slightly? I don't think an 1/8-inch gap is enough between the door and the rocker.

Dan
Attached Images

64chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
wilkinst

Re: Bottom of door gap to rocker panel

When you open the door all the way does the front bottom corner of the door rub on the lip of the outer rocker? That was what controlled the door-to-rocker panel gap on mine. As long as it doesn't rub when you open/close the door I'm not sure I'd mess with it - like you said, you might damage more than you help.

If you do need to move it down, I'd tack in the top of the outer rocker to the A and B pillars, then get someone to stand/sit on the edge of the outer rocker while you tack the rest in place. Their weight should bend it down at least another 1/8". You'll most likely end up having to bend up the bottom edge of the outer rocker to meet the bottom edge of the inner rocker.

My .02
wilkinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Remember, you must be exact as GM was originally. RRRRRiiiiggghhht!!!!!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
64chevmn

The front edge of the door rubbed enough on the lip of the rocker when I opened the door to take the paint off, so too close. I'm going out to my garage again and see what I can get to move...........Gotta love GM's specs; hopefully an inexperienced guy like me can get a better gap than they did on the assembly line.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
pdxhall

Those outer rockers can be a pain to get aligned. Many of them are tweaked one way or another. I had a similar problem with my driver side. the Rocker was actually twisted when the ends were welded up. I had to cut the weld on the end of the rocker. I then tacked in the rocker at the door pillars to hold it and when I pushed the bottom of the rocker in to the bottom on the inner rocker it brought it down enough to work. I then rewelded the end of the outer rocker. Good luck.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

Keep beating on it, the outer rocker should be fitted before you weld everything up. The outer rocker is what all the gaps are related to. The other fix is to grind off the bottom of the door, build it up with weld if you go to far.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
jhrusk

you may have to do quite a bit of persuading tho get it to fit properly,that could mean splitting and re-welding part of it or a heavy hammer. Main thing is you have good gaps everywhere else to go by so make the rocker fit the door.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
rideblue00

Yep, i had to cut and reweld my rocker too, a few times. They arent all that straight.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I admire people that make this look easy.. I know its not!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
64chevmn

Well..........I downed a beer and headed to the garage last night with a mission get the rocker panel to fit. I ended up screwing the outer rocker into both the front and back pillars. I closed the door and checked how much I needed the rear portion of the rocker to go down. I grabbed a 6-inch chunk of a 2x4 and a 10 pound hammer and gave a few strategic "whacks" on the outer lip of the rocker near the cab corner. Five "whacks" later I got a perfect 1/4-inch gap along the bottom of the door. I double and triple checked the alignment of everything and welded the rocker in place; checking the door gaps every few welds. Less than an hour and it turned out great! I guess I need to drink a beer every time things start to get frustrating.

I did take my time and made sure after every "whack" of the hammer I did not cause an issue to anything else, but all turned out well. Now I get to start the drivers side and do it all over again..............
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Trsmotrhed

I hear ya a beer to make things better. Where did you get your rockers from?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
familyfast64

My truck only has an eighth maybe 3/16" gap down low too. If any rocks are down there when you shut your door they will chip the paint and hang the door up a lil. but I drive my truck so it don't bother me, and the doors shut good so.

Edit, oh awesome, you got then.

Last edited by familyfast64; 11-27-2013 at 01:39 AM.
familyfast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
64chevmn

I bought all of the sheet metal parts including the outer rockers from Top Banana. Overall, all of the parts fit well but as this thread indicated tweaking is needed.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Trsmotrhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64chevmn View Post
I bought all of the sheet metal parts including the outer rockers from Top Banana. Overall, all of the parts fit well but as this thread indicated tweaking is needed.
Thanks for letting me know. That's where I was looking at getting my panels or from summit racing. I'm going to start mine next month. Have most of Dec off for vacation.
Looking good and keep up the good work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
hotrodder

Yep... Beer, a hammer, another beer hit it again, and so on. Pretty soon who cares if it fits?
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote