The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Broken_down?

Roll Lights??????

Most of my relatives live 5+ mile straight back into the forest. And sometime it gets foggy etc.. My head lights and brights work fine but I want to add some KC lights to the truck. My shell is about 12 or 13 inches higher then the cab. and I was thinking about mounting the lights ( rectangle shape) lights right into the front of the shell. Not on top, but into the front of the shell just above the cab. the shell is old but not that important. do anyone have roll lights pics? and I want the hightest wattage I can find in a bulb. thinking 1,000 watt? or a bit less.. I want to turn the night to day

rich:
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

1000w?!?!

2-3 100-150watt lights will be alot!!!!! I had 2 150w 6" round lights on a previous truck, believe me, you can see a long ways.

Just be sure to use a heavy duty relay for the lights and you will be smilin!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id bolt it to the top and use a couple of washers ( rubber and metal) to back em up. being in a fiberglass shell youll have to ground to the metal.. If i was you id buy a light bar and attach them to that it will bolt into your drip rails and not have to make holes into your cab. Id also consider bolting a co uple to the bumper i know in my day weve done that a time or two and it has worked out well

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:34 AM   #4
Paul72

I've got a couple of aircraft spotlights mounted on my front bumper. I think they are 1000 watt each - they sure light up the night! I've had them on during the day and people were flashing their lights at me.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I woulda thought that a couple of thousand watts are gonna make your alternator work prety hard when they're on. I have 4 big chrome Hella Jumbo 220 rectangular spots to go up on a lighting bar on my truck (I know a guy who is the UK marketing manager for Hella, so got them very cheap, when I can find someone to bend one up for me, it'll be mounted in the front stake holes on the bed) and they'll just have 4 x 55 watt bulbs in. I had a pair of 100 watt spots on my old Alfa Romeo and it was like driving a lighthouse. 4 x 100 watts would be plenty bright.

If you don't mind cutting into the top you could make an aluminium box the right size to fit the lights in, rivet and glass it onto the inside of the front of the top, cut a hole in the top so the box is now part of the top, mount the lights inside the box and even cover the front up with a sheet of clear perspex (you may have heat issues though, i suppose you could drill the top of the box if you cover the front and view it as a heater for the back!)

Whatever you do make sure you get the wiring right, right gauge wires, a hefty relay (maybe wire them in pairs of you're going to have 4 lights) and a tell tale light by the switch to remind you that they're on when you get back on the road (a legal requirment here inthe UK).
Attached Images

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote