The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Looneybin

The wrong way to build a truck...

Tear it up first! Well this started out as a beat 79 shortbed 4x4 with 6" lift on 35s that we picked up for my 16yr old brother-in-laws first truck. It was $1000 rusted and running but the steering arm studs were broken off. After a couple of weekends of messing with it we got it repaired and that's when it got interesting. Un knowing to us it had brake issues and after lowering it off the jack my young brother and I jumped in for our first test drive. Moments later we were barreling down our long driveway out of control with no brakes. I had to jump over to the wheel a steer the truck into the woods where we slammed into several trees and stopped against a couple of large pines. I smashed head first into the windshield busting it and my noggin. This was the best option because it was the trees or my neighbors brick house and new truck. Scary life lesson that you can never be too cautious. Anyway over the summer we picked up a doner truck for $600 so it is time to pick up the pieces and rebuild. it needs some body mount work but is a pretty decent 86 body. We are now in the process of figuring out how to lift the cabs around.
Attached Images

Looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Looneybin

Re: The wrong way to build a truck...

as beat as it is, it has a hot little cammed 350 and runs good. We have a lot ahead of us but it should be a nice truck when its done.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
79Betty

Holy $hit! That is scary!! Glad you all are alright. And itight look like a lot. My buddies and i took 2 long 4x4's (boards) ad slid them under the cab and on my frame. Pushed it up the planks and when we got to the frame we just slid em out. Very physical but hey. Make do with what ya got. Lots of people use tractors or hoists. Couple used cherry pickers. Not hard just BE CAREFUL!!
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
superwade57

Glad all is well but watch that fuel line routing too....looks awfully close to the header.
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Looneybin

Yep we need to tidy up the engine bay too. Got the body lifting sorted out and removed the 79 cab off today. Now we just have to swap the front frame mounts and hoist up the 86. I got pics tomorrow.