The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
forestb

newer style headlights

I was looking into getting some newer style 7" headlight and was wondering which type do you all recommend. I am staying away from the ones with the led's around the edges and anything to pricy.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: newer style headlights

Halogen headlights in classic cars/trucks struggle with dim and scattered light beams.
The Dapper Lighting headlight kits embody the classic look while substantially upgrading the quality and spread of light.
The unique hi-low switch design keeps the costs low while providing a clean and safe light cutoff design, eliminating the issue of "headlight dazing" on the roads.
You get 7" round waterproof headlights and specially-designed 42mm Bi-Xenon projector (high and low beams) with adjustable light focus and flat light distribution to prevent blinding of oncoming traffic.

Dapper Lighting 7 Inch Classic Projector Kit

Dapper Lighting 7 Inch Classic Black Series Projector Kit

http://www.dapperlighting.com/

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
spacedebris

Re: newer style headlights

those dapper have my attention. Now I dont see a kit for the 60-66 yet. Have you tried them? Any good? Is there much to the conversion?

Edit. I see the universal kits, so I assume it should be fairly simple. However one thing on the specifications has is a concern.

Quote:
Note:
This kit has not been DOT certified. Currently for off-road use only. Please consult local law enforcement in your country. This kit is for left-hand drive cars. Call if you need a right-hand drive kit (the difference is in the light pattern seen by oncoming traffic)

not likely to be a huge concern for most but those of us in Kalifornia my have to give it serious though before jumping in.

Last edited by spacedebris; 11-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I just rewired my 65 for the standard 7" halogens. A 30 amp breaker and two relays and take all the load off the switch.....We get a full 14.5 volts at the lamps now and the night driving is WAY Better!
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
dapperlighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
those dapper have my attention. Now I dont see a kit for the 60-66 yet. Have you tried them? Any good? Is there much to the conversion?

Edit. I see the universal kits, so I assume it should be fairly simple. However one thing on the specifications has is a concern.

Quote:
Note:
This kit has not been DOT certified. Currently for off-road use only. Please consult local law enforcement in your country. This kit is for left-hand drive cars. Call if you need a right-hand drive kit (the difference is in the light pattern seen by oncoming traffic)

not likely to be a huge concern for most but those of us in Kalifornia my have to give it serious though before jumping in.
Glad to see you guys found our kits. We have to put that out there because HID kits are illegal for retrofit on the road. I recommend an 5K bright white and properly aligning/focusing the kits to keep yourself out of trouble. I have 3 cars with kits on them and haven't ever had any issues with police in CA.

Feel free to give us a call or email me if you have specific questions.

Thanks!

Ben
ben@dapperlighting.com
dapperlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Hella or Cibie lights are quality manufacturers that use a modern H4 bulb. It's a good upgrade without being too expensive. As mentioned above, you should also install 2 relays in you lighting harness so that you aren't running all that current through you headlight switch.

CLICK HERE to see an example of the Hella lights at about $40 each.

If money is no object, you could also check out these .... CLICK HERE

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
theastronaut

Cibie or Hella will be your best bet without spending a ton, although the Dapper HID's are very nice for the money too and are well worth what he's asking for them... I might try them on my '66 C10. Stay away from cheaper H4's! They don't control the light pattern as well so you won't see as good and oncoming traffic will have more glare.

I have both Cibie and Hella H4's in our daily drivers with relay harnesses and 80/100 watt bulbs. If aimed properly they have no more glare than any DOT approved light (probably less, E-code specs are pretty strict).

I first used Delta Tech's Classic 7" H4's with SilverStar ultra bulbs. Waste of money on both items. The Delta's are just remarketed chinese built Weisem housings, and the Silverstars aren't any brighter, just a whiter color. They don't have as wide of a low beam pattern as Cibie's or Hella's.

This is a shot of our '97 S10 with 165mm Hella H4's, 80/100W Hella bulbs, and a 12g relay harness. Very crisp cut-off pattern on low beams- better than the OEM lights on the Camry in front of me. Very wide and evenly distributed light pattern on low beams. The high beams are pretty good, kinda spotty at close range but the coverage evens out at longer distances. That's my only gripe against Hella lights, and that could just be the rectangle lights. 7" round might be better.

These are my 7" Cibie H4's in my '64 VW. The low beam pattern is even wider and more evenly distributed than the Hella's, and the high beam pattern is very well focused. These also have 80/100W Hella bulbs and a relay harness.

Here's a shot of my '64 VW's Cibie's low beam pattern (right side) vs our '06 Trailblazer SS low beams. Much better than newer OEM lights with no more glare and a brighter hot spot on center.

theastronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
rickywideglide

i installed late model harley davidson lights out of a bagger if you check my posts there should be a pic,you can remove logo in center
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
OldTrucksRule

I looked into this headlight thing for some time. I went to a 4West show and saw the 7" LEDs by Truck Lite. They wanted $499 @ pair which I thought was waay to much. Finally found them on Ebay for $180 each. Got them from a truck brake company out of New York. Installed them just like putting in replacement lights and the light they put out is awesome. Very happy with them. Good thing too is that they only draw something like 3.5 amps on high beam which I can see makes a difference on my ammeter. They do look different and I get a lot of questions from people who all like them too.
OldTrucksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrucksRule View Post
I looked into this headlight thing for some time. I went to a 4West show and saw the 7" LEDs by Truck Lite. They wanted $499 @ pair which I thought was waay to much. Finally found them on Ebay for $180 each. Got them from a truck brake company out of New York. Installed them just like putting in replacement lights and the light they put out is awesome. Very happy with them. Good thing too is that they only draw something like 3.5 amps on high beam which I can see makes a difference on my ammeter. They do look different and I get a lot of questions from people who all like them too.

Got any pics of this? preferably at night?
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote