The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
MrGoodpliers

Re: Ram Horn Manifold - Any Reason To Change?

I'm so over headers. Leaks and cooked starters are a PITA. I have not used them for years, and I'm much happier for it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
406 Q-ship

It depends on the performance potentual of the engine. A stock engine for one of these trucks, then ram horns or just cast iron mainfolds. If you have one of the more powerful performance engines..I.E. 350 hp 327, 360 hp 350 then headers would be a consideration and worth the extra issues associated with them. If you have an engine built to perform in the 1.25 hp/CID and 350+ in size, then headers are a must or your wasting money on building the engine to make that kind of HP. I run headers on my 406 SBC Monte Carlo and would never look back, do they pop gaskets...yes about once every few years, if I dont retighten them every other oil change. Headers need attention that manifolds do not, like retorquing about every 6 months on a daily driver. Ask yourself how much work you want to do, what is the engine built to do, and what is the truck supposed to do. My truck has a stock engine from a 76 Chevy with the new style iron manifolds and I would never put headers on that engine, well probably not, if I did they would be thick flange, ball connection collectors, and small tube diameter tri-ys.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Joe Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
Rams horns are almost zero maintenance, and like Andy said are easier to mount accessories.
what ram horn is that ..........angles back?
Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
tlcrz1972

Rams horns all the way, I have them installed on my '95 engine in my '72 and just love the way they look on the engine.
And don't worry about the so called power loss if your a street engine. These manifolds were designed back in the '50's by Zora Arkus-Duntov and other performance engineers and they were made to compliment the heads and the exhaust flow coming out of them.

Headers suck!!!!!!

Now I do want to say one thing about ramshorn manifolds, unfortunately if your running the old original manifolds you will be replacing them once in a while, because they are old and over time will crack. Keep a few of them on hand, and be prepared to go through that at any time.

I've never bought the new ones but one day I'll be forced to when I run out of the factory manifolds I have stashed away.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
budman k20
1972 K20

If you have a stock engine keep the ramhorns. If you don't care about extra torque or hp keep the ram horns. If you can't retighten them after a heat cycle or check them once a year then keep the ram horns. All 3 of my non DD vehicles have headers but none are stock. I don't have any of the problems everyone is talking about. All ceramic coated and quality stuff. Nothing sounds as bad ass as my solid lifter 406... Small children and old lady's walk away when I'm near by. I have quiet mufflers on it but you can hear the power from the headers. If you plan ahead and route the wires the wires also last. I put woven high temp sleeves on any wires that get close to the pipes. So yep it's not as simple as bolting on stock stuff. Go figure...
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #31
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman k20 View Post
If you have a stock engine keep the ramhorns. If you don't care about extra torque or hp keep the ram horns. If you can't retighten them after a heat cycle or check them once a year then keep the ram horns. All 3 of my non DD vehicles have headers but none are stock. I don't have any of the problems everyone is talking about. All ceramic coated and quality stuff. Nothing sounds as bad ass as my solid lifter 406... Small children and old lady's walk away when I'm near by. I have quiet mufflers on it but you can hear the power from the headers. If you plan ahead and route the wires the wires also last. I put woven high temp sleeves on any wires that get close to the pipes. So yep it's not as simple as bolting on stock stuff. Go figure...
Quality ceramic coated are great, and if they have ball and socket collectors, they are nearly maintenance-free besides re-tightening occasionally.

The problem is a lot of people buy a cheap set of headers with the std 3 bolt flanges, and if they drive them daily, they are going to leak and make noise. Headers in general are going to make more noise just because the thin tubes don't insulate sound like cast iron manifolds do.

As far as power added, you are generally looking at around 10 - 15 HP at the most up to 350 HP or so. The difference is more pronounced as HP and the need for more flow increases. You hear blanket claims of a 10% - 15% power increases, but we've never seen that on the dyno, especially from an off the shelf street header.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
budman k20
1972 K20

I have around 470 hp (limitted by my cam choice) so I will take th 20ish hp and all the extra torque area under the power curve that the headers give me. I'm just making a case for headers if you have a performance engine. It sounds like the OP is looking for everyone to OK his choice to keep it simple. To each his own. I play with my trucks for fun and I like my engines to perform.
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Leaking headers are 100% caused by overtightening of fasteners. Which warps the flanges.

Headers get a bad rap for leaking just like Holley Carbs get a bad rap for being untuneable. Both are completely the fault of the person installing/maintaining them

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
Joe Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Leaking headers are 100% caused by overtightening of fasteners. Which warps the flanges.

Headers get a bad rap for leaking just like Holley Carbs get a bad rap for being untuneable. Both are completely the fault of the person installing/maintaining them

Gary
Its still you get what you pay for...........cheap headers will leak do to the thin flange and you have to chase the bolts all the time.......

I have owned over a hundred sets of headers........stainless and cheap..........nobody has said one thing about noise............

A cast iron manifold will not sound tinny like headers...always a more quiet dull sound. You will not hear the cyl hitting like you do with headers.......all the exhaust noise is in the tailpipe where it should be........
Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote