The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #26
Spartan

Re: What's the scoop with magnesium chloride? Corrosive?

They mix the mag with water but it's not just liquid salt. It's totally corrosive and is banned in places for environmental reasons. It kills rainbow trout and other aquatic life as runoff. I would prefer a chance to go fishing over deiced roads myself. It doesn't snow much at my place tho. I do have studs if I need them tho.
IMHO the trout win out. I lived in lake Tahoe where salt are banned and rock works fine.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
CGerow

Magnesium chloride is the name for the chemical compounds with the formulas MgCl2 and its various hydrates MgCl2(H2O)x. These salts are typical ionic halides, being highly soluble in water. The hydrated magnesium chloride can be extracted from brine or sea water. In North America, magnesium chloride is produced primarily from Great Salt Lake brine. It is extracted in a similar process from the Dead Sea in Jordan valley . Magnesium chloride as the natural mineral bischofite is also extracted (via solution mining) out of ancient seabeds; for example, the Zechstein seabed in northwest Europe. Some magnesium chloride is made from solar evaporation of seawater. Anhydrous magnesium chloride is the principal precursor to magnesium metal, which is produced on a large scale. Hydrated magnesium chloride is the form most readily available.

Basically liquid salt......
CGerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
CGerow

On a side note they are using sugared beet juice for anti icing on the Coquihalla highway here in British Columbia, where they film the TV series Highway Thru Hell.
CGerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Well it snowed here a little and now I'm afraid to move the K20 5 miles to my storage unit. Hoping for dry, sunny weather soon to make the run. There's a self serve car wash en route where I can hose off the undercarriage. Loathe to turn what was basically a rust free truck into scaly mess...

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #30
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGerow View Post
Magnesium chloride is the name for the chemical compounds with the formulas MgCl2 and its various hydrates MgCl2(H2O)x. These salts are typical ionic halides, being highly soluble in water. The hydrated magnesium chloride can be extracted from brine or sea water. In North America, magnesium chloride is produced primarily from Great Salt Lake brine. It is extracted in a similar process from the Dead Sea in Jordan valley . Magnesium chloride as the natural mineral bischofite is also extracted (via solution mining) out of ancient seabeds; for example, the Zechstein seabed in northwest Europe. Some magnesium chloride is made from solar evaporation of seawater. Anhydrous magnesium chloride is the principal precursor to magnesium metal, which is produced on a large scale. Hydrated magnesium chloride is the form most readily available.

Basically liquid salt......
Wikipedia verbatim^^
It's NOT "basically liquid salt". Nothing basic about it.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #31
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I'm glad I moved north to Fargo, ND; when I lived in Sioux Falls, SD they used that stuff relentlessly, often without any decent snow/ice accumulation afterwards. Now that I'm in a colder climate, snow doesn't turn to ice as easily, and de-icers are mainly used in the early fall / late spring.

I keep my K20 off the road for the most part, only if there is a foot or more of snow and I don't think my winter beater will make it where I need to go or I've got an itch to go play in the powder.

Magnesium Chloride is a salt but it is not Sodium Chloride aka table salt. It is a mild acid (so it isn't basic, if that's what you're getting at Spartan...) Watching what it does to cars, imagine what it also does to bridges and roadway structures. In increased concentrations will kill off wildlife and plant life; more of a reason to ban the stuff.

Another nasty thing that is used from time to time is beet juice, and it doesn't have sugar added, it actually has it's sugar removed as it is a byproduct of sugar extraction from sugar beets. I've done service work in a few sugar beet plants as a pipefitter/welder and there is nothing nice about beet juice. I would strip my work clothes off outside my front door so the smell wouldn't overpower my house.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #32
Spartan

^^
Yes. I have heard it causes spalling on concrete, eats rebar, and actually destroys the rapd surface. As for bridges they are made of steel too. Yeah. Nasty stuff. I'm glad they don't deice here for trucks sake.

Last edited by Spartan; 12-02-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
^^
Yes. I have heard it causes spalling on concrete, eats rebar, and actually destroys the rapd surface. As for bridges they are made of steel too. Yeah. Nasty stuff. I'm glad they don't deice here for trucks sake.
They've started using stainless steel rebar on the new bridges around here. And yes, it does cause spalling of concrete.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #34
litew8

Someone (by someone I mean the City) dumped a lot of it along the curb in front of my house.
It got up on the grass near the trees. After reading these posts, I went out and brushed it all out into the street.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/magne...-toxicity.html

Last edited by litew8; 12-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Saw MgCl2 packaged as "Pet Safe" deicer at Ace Hardware today...

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Saw MgCl2 packaged as "Pet Safe" deicer at Ace Hardware today...
It is safe...dogs don't rust...but I imagine it might be used like a salt lick...ickky..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
litew8

not safe for pets

An animal that has ingested magnesium chloride can experience muscle weakness and irregular heart rhythms.
It can also cause the pet's blood pressure to drop to abnormally low levels. If walked on, it can burn the animal's paws.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_6826933_ma...#ixzz2mSpNmfwp
Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #38
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Reactions

An animal that has ingested magnesium chloride can experience muscle weakness and irregular heart rhythms.
It can also cause the pet's blood pressure to drop to abnormally low levels. If walked on, it can burn the animal's paws.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_6826933_ma...#ixzz2mSpNmfwp
How can they call it safe? This stuff sounds terrible because of the damage it causes. At my cabin in the Sierras they put decomposed granite on the roads. It doesn't melt ice/snow but promotes traction.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #39
litew8

Who is calling it safe? What DeadHeadNM must have seen was a variation of it considered "safer" is my guess.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #40
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

100% organic "Salt Free" and "Pet Friendly" with the predictable Golden Retriever and little girl on the label: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=11085868