The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
D.FENS

Why all the hate for 2-links?

I see big flame war threads about this all the time, about how its dangerous / binds / poor geometry / poor handling / just don't like it, whatever.

Then you see the guys running them and they say "no problem".

Pinion angle change? Difference between theory and practical application, or what?
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Why all the hate for 2-links?

Well NASCAR has been using the truck arm system under every one of those racecars, regardless of manufacturer, for many years.
It is very stable and easily adjustable, what could be wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
D.FENS

Not sure if NASCAR stockers are an apples to apples comparison. They tend to run static (exception: Smokey Yunick)

My experience building a couple of tubbed cars with ladder bars / coilovers doesn't fit either.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

One thing you got to remember is that the guys who say things like that.

1. Do nothing, but e-thug.
2. Likely do not own any tools.
3. Consider something fully modified when intake, and exhaust are on.
4. Have OCD, and can not stand people who have differing opinions.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

True 2 links are not as good as a basic parallel 4 link, but they are perfectly safe. The only problem with 2 links is often times by the time you build one you really only save $200 dollars over a 4 link. Plus if you can build a 2 link you can install a 4 link with a little patience.

A couple of years ago I built a 2 link for a friend of my cousin who was putting air ride on his truck. We did a 2 link because he was not sure if he was going to mod the rear for IRS, a triangulated 4 link, and or just keep it a cruiser a little down the road. So he choose the cheaper route to save money, and get the project on the road. This way he could enjoy the truck with out committing to big time frame mods. The suspension was shot when he got it, and he was only sure that it was going to be on air when done.

We put the bags 1/2 way down the links, and built extended the shock mounts. We had aluminum disks cut at a few different thicknesses so he could adjust bag height to his desire. I modified the trucks parts for maximum drop, and we adjusted it back up. This way he could go lower at any point down the road. The only thing we didn't fully mod was the notch as we used a simple one at first, but later he was going to redo it to lay out.

Once it was dialed it he brought it back to my house for a check up of the welding work we did, and I finally got to drive it more then around the block. In normal driving you could not tell the difference, and even spirited driving you barely noticed it. As I drove faster down a curvy road we have here the worse it got. Mind you that was about 60mph, the speed limit was 25mph, and it felt fine at 45mph.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
bbcmudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
One thing you got to remember is that the guys who say things like that.

1. Do nothing, but e-thug.
2. Likely do not own any tools.
3. Consider something fully modified when intake, and exhaust are on.
4. Have OCD, and can not stand people who have differing opinions.
I have nothing to add to this thread except this right here is funny as hell!
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
andrewmp6

The truck arms are different then most 2 link set ups.They are triangulated vs parallel most 2 links are.The truck arms have some flex in them arms them self and are longer.Most 2 link kits the links are short and have no flex in them.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Rochlow

I had an Ekstensive Metal Works 2-link on my bagged and bodydropped 97. I loved it and never had any problems with it. The truck was always driven. I use to go to the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals with it, which is round trip 1000 miles.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Not sure if NASCAR stockers are an apples to apples comparison. They tend to run static (exception: Smokey Yunick)

My experience building a couple of tubbed cars with ladder bars / coilovers doesn't fit either.
I suppose it depends upon what you call a 2 link? The OP wasn't very specific. I just assumed that he was referring to someone smack-talking the stock Chevy coil rear set-up....which is exactly what NASCAR uses.
Sure they are modified to be stiffer/stronger and more adjustable, but that is the origin of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
PBFAB.COM

I am assuming that this question is in regards to a 2-link that has short bars and bolts into the front leaf spring hanger (there are a few different types of "2-links" some much better than others).

I think that most of the "hate" comes from the fact that for just a LITTLE more of an investment you can get a MUCH better system. That handles and performs better overall.

They do work, and are the most affordable of the systems out there.... but there is a reason they are least expensive.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson