The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
609thomasm

1972 grille input needed

Hi all, just tore the outer grille shell half off my 72 moving snow with my tractor. Luckily no paint or body damage. I was wondering how the reproduction ones fit and their quality. I was looking at the one LMC Trucks offers. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
609thomasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
terry b

Re: 1972 grille input needed

I would try to find used oem and clean it up. You can not do better than the factory stuf.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
609thomasm

OEM would be nice, but finding one clean enough is going to be tough. over the years the anodizing does not hold up to good. This is why I am looking to see what people are using and how is the quality. Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
cheyenne shortstep

The repops don't fit right. For the price of a repop you can get a very nice OEM if you are diligent in your search.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
leddzepp

Find a reasonably straight OEM grille and have it polished, if it is oxidized. It will fit much better and cost less. I had mine restored for less than half the cost of a repop. I have never heard a good thing about repop grilles and the ones I have seen are so ill fitting they are easy to spot.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
JCD

If they're so bad.. why do people continue to buy them?..
If we as the truck buying public ..stop.. wouldn't they improve their stock just to make money?

Kinda makes you wonder..

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
If they're so bad.. why do people continue to buy them?..
If we as the truck buying public ..stop.. wouldn't they improve their stock just to make money?

Kinda makes you wonder..

J.
we are in the "I WANT IT NOW GENERATION " and as long as it's wrapped in plastic and new bright and shiny and shows up overnite delivered to your doorstep by ups they will continue to produce junk and we will continue to buy it ! , BUY AMERICAN MADE PARTS FOR AMERICAN MADE TRUCKS ! the junkyards are full of parts , the builders of today have it easy with cell phones and immediate internet access to any part they want in minutes , When I started building cars/trucks we were limited to the local junk yards and a yellow pages and the hard wired kitchen phone .... think about that when you look at the cars built in the 60's 70's and 80's ...
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
old Chevy guy

Right? I remember the first truck I restored. I had to fabricate my own floor pans and spent hours combing junkyards for trim and wiring harnesses motor mounts pedals and everything else. Technology has made the world a whole lot smaller, but not necessarily better.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
volksworld

half the problem with repop crap is people take years to accumulate parts for their project cause they're too busy to actually work on it but its real easy to order stuff as their budget allows....and when they finally get around to install them and realize they're junk it's been so long they have no recourse....I think half this stuff never gets installed and sits in the box forever...customers would bring me boxes of crap that didn't fit and I'd ask what did they do with the original parts...they threw them out cause they bought "new"
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Molberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
we are in the "I WANT IT NOW GENERATION " and as long as it's wrapped in plastic and new bright and shiny and shows up overnite delivered to your doorstep by ups they will continue to produce junk and we will continue to buy it ! , BUY AMERICAN MADE PARTS FOR AMERICAN MADE TRUCKS ! the junkyards are full of parts , the builders of today have it easy with cell phones and immediate internet access to any part they want in minutes , When I started building cars/trucks we were limited to the local junk yards and a yellow pages and the hard wired kitchen phone .... think about that when you look at the cars built in the 60's 70's and 80's ...
X2! You can remove the anodizing with a few applications of easy off, sand and polish if you can find a somewhat straight one. Worked well on mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Dean'smeanmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Amen!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
609thomasm

seems like the jury is out. I to remember when I could go to the junk yard and all I needed was there, but those days are gone for anything from the 1970's or older. I guess I will start searching for the best OEM I can find. Thanks