The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Gmcman86

1986 gmc wont start

I got the truck in a trade and havent messed with it any well i went to start it for the first time i put gas in the carb and a fresh battery and it just rolled over it should have started when i put has in the carb it a 305 q- jet
A penguin takes his car to the shop to have it fixed. While he's waiting, he goes into a cool ice cream shop and eats ice cream. Having flippers instead hands, he gets the ice cream all over himself. He's goes back to the auto shop and asks the mechanic what was wrong with his car.
"Well," says the mechanic, "it looks like you blew a seal."
The penguin replies, "It's just ice cream, I swear!!"
Gmcman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
bigjim321

Re: 1986 gmc wont start

Check the spark from the ignition. I had the same style of truck once and it doesnt matter what you put down the carb it wont start if you have no fire. If you have fire and wont start check the timing postion TDC.. Mine just had a broken rotor cap and wasnt transfering the spark out to the sprk plug wires.
bigjim321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Gmcman86

Ok thanks ill look at it tomarrow it needs a tune up badly and i took the smog pully and pump off so now i have the lines that come out of the maniflods can i just cut them and close them up for now or will it run like crap??
A penguin takes his car to the shop to have it fixed. While he's waiting, he goes into a cool ice cream shop and eats ice cream. Having flippers instead hands, he gets the ice cream all over himself. He's goes back to the auto shop and asks the mechanic what was wrong with his car.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
donut

Ok, I don't want to be the grammar nazi, but...
Punctuation goes a long way in helping to explain your problem. Currently, your posts are one big, run on sentence that needs translation by the reader. (I'm no english major, but I usually can get my point across.)

To start, you need air, fuel, and spark at the correct time. You have the first 2. Smog pump tubes can be cut and plugged (depending on emissions in your area.)
Please don't pull anything else until the starting problem is addressed. One step at a time...

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Boom

How can you tell it needs a tuneup if you can't start it to hear it run? I am with the last guy. Start with the simple stuff and don't replace anything until you have it running.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Gmcman86

Sorry for the grammer, ill work on it. Well to say im new to the squarebody world and i always wanted one, so i got one. let me start by saying that i took the smog pump off so i can get to the fuel pump, it wasnt installed yet. So after i fixed that, i. put some gas in the carb and a charged battery and it just rolled over,so i know i need spark, i got air and fuel but when it come to the timing, i have no clue on what im doing, i didnt want to mess anything up im not sure about.