The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

'67 SWB C10 "Spot" (finally)

OK, Thi is like the 3rd attempt at starting this thread and it always ended up being a TLR moment.

So, short version - 1977-1978 my parents bought a 1968 LWB C10, 307, 3spd, no A/C or power anything. The truck (orginally white with a red interior from GM) had been painted Ochre and had a black bucket seat interior from (I think) a 1969 or 1970 CST installed. It also had 78" double walled and heat shielded laker sidepipes, 11" deep dish reverse Cragars, Baby moons, a vynil rooftopper and tonneau, and curb feelers (hey, it was the 70's and we lived in San Fran at the time, waddaya gonna do?)

Two years after we got the truck it went to my grandmother in East Texas and was her long term trash hauler. I finally jumped up and down enough that Mom and Dad let me have it back when I turned sixteen (1990-1991 timeframe.)

I drove the truck thru high school, and right before I left for the Marine Corps I tore it down to a rolling chassis (thinking I would have plenty of time to put it back together on leave - hah!). The truck stayed as a rolling chassis until approximately 6 months ago, when I was finally able to bring it out here (Phoenix) and start working on it again.

More to follow!
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: '67 SWB C10 "Spot" (finally)

I ended up ordering a grip of stuff for the truck Project last June, shortly before my father ended up being diagnosed with terminal Stage III lung cancer. He passed away in late July, and it took me this long (with the encouragement of my girlfriend) to get motivated to work on the truck again.

After getting motivated again, I started casting around for places to do sandblasting/powdercoating in the Phoenix metro area. While trolling C-List, a friend/coworker found a SWB frame, already blasted and coated, for $800. Bought it, brought it home, and started bolting stuff on:

Pics don't do it justice, it gets really dusty here in Phoenix and unfortunately I don't have an actual garage to work in. The frame, rearend, and suspension components are all clearcoated silvervein.

The rear differential is a new Eaton TrueTrac 3:55 with new axles and bearings.

As you can see from the pictures, cross drilled and slotted rotors at all four corners. These will (for now) be hidden behind a set of 15x8 truck rallies that have been powdercoated as close as I could find to Argent silver.

Springs are 1" BBC drops springs in the front, 4" drop in the back.

2.5" drop spindles (that it turns out are for a 73-87 truck, which is odd as I ordered everything as a set from CPP at the same time.)

No Limit Engineering bolt in rack and pinion.

Powerplant plans are for a 396 with 3/4 length Hooker Competition "Chevelle" headers, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap, Mallory ignition, Howards Cam roller cam and lifters (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hr...make/chevrolet), PRW 1.7 full stainless roller rockers (http://www.prwonlinestore.com/stainl...5432-chev.aspx) backed by a built 700R4.

Further things on the Task breakdown list for this coming weekend include: Installation of the new blazer tank conversion (Thank tkorinek!), plumbing brake and fuel lines, and (hopefully) getting the engine and transmission mounted into the rolling chassis. I'm supposed to be getting the motor back this weekend, time to go shopping for a new converter for the transmission!

If you see anything that I need to address, speak up!
Attached Images

Last edited by JVictor75; 01-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
joel.e

Frame looks great. Curious what your wheel plans are since you are sticking with 6 lug?

'67 C10, Duramax truck and an RC51... living the dream.

Good luck with your build. Off to a great start.
joel.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.e View Post
Frame looks great. Curious what your wheel plans are since you are sticking with 6 lug?

'67 C10, Duramax truck and an RC51... living the dream.

Good luck with your build. Off to a great start.
For right now I plan on sticking with the 15x8 rallies I have. Just got them freshly powdercoated in as close to Argent silver as I could, probably going to run trim rings and center caps. As you can see in the attached pictures, they work just barely, but they work!

Tires are BFG A/Ts, 255 60R15 front, 275 60R15 rear.

In one of the attached pictures you can see the front of the RC (it was supervising) and the original cab to the '68 (it's a little beyond my ability to repair - it had a vinyl rooftop that got ripped off at one point. The glue was left exposed to the elements on top of the cab for a number of years and well, it ain't pretty.)

I do have a freshly repaired 67 cab that I got from another member here on the board, just needs finish work and paint (has new rockers, cab corner, shaved firewall, etc.) So my '68 LWB fleet is now turning into a '67 SWB fleet. (both cabs have their original VIN plates and titles, in case anyone is curious)
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Finally got the motor and transmission back from their respective builders:

Engine is a 1969 dated coded "Hi Perf Pass" 396 Big Block. Full roller valvetrain (Howards cam and lifters, PRW rockers), hardened steel crank, Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake, Plans are for a 750cfm Holley Street Avenger, Mallory 6AL ignition box, and the small Mallory billet distributor.

Not pictured is the GMPP serpentine belt brackets and accessory system.

Transmission is a rebuilt and exceedingly beefed up 700R4. Beast sunshell, 4L60E internals, HD clutch discs, corvette servo, 2500RPM stall converter. Cleaned and rattlecanned (aluminum color engine paint). I've got a nice aluminum pan for it but have been too lazy to get it bolted on.

Headers are 3/4 length ceramic coated Hooker Competitions for a late 60s Chevelle. Required minor clearancing of the driver side motor mount bucket and the framerail on the drivers side for fitment.

I also had an ECE transmission X-Member that had been powdercoated to match the frame. It didn't fit as it was and would have required drilling. The CPP unit was a drop in.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
BB72CHEVKT

looks good
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
looks good
x2

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
x2
X3 keep up the good work
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram: http://instagram.com/rockylakekustoms

Rocky Lake Kustoms

Russ
RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
67cheby
67cheby

very nice detailed work !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Bomp

Nice and clean. Everything looks great.
Following along on this one.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
sduckworth13

yeah x5 Great job, everything looks awesome.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
jeh

Looking good, the color on the frame is AWESOME
Posted via Mobile Device
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Real quick little update, y'all. I've decided to paint the truck "War Bonnet Yellow".

The color is from a 1971-1972 Corvette, and is basically a color equivalent to "Harvest Gold Metallic" with a little bit more yellow and metal flake in it.

Thinking about possible front end paint treatments, to include either SS stripes, an RS stripe or a combination of the two (Foose did something similiar on one of the Overhaulin' builds some time ago.) Not commited to any of these other than the body color yet.

Interior will be black with 70-71 CST style door panels and Corbeau seats. I'll probably build my own console to make it look at least somewhat like the console that the 68 came with.

New additions not covered in any pictures so far: Blazer tank install, Shaved 1967 cab, new I/O fenders, new rad support, F/R Sway bar install (link style), New auto tilt column, and all new OE style wiring harnesses for the front half of the truck.

New updates are going to be few and far between after this for a while guys, I'm in the process of moving out of my house this week and will be moving temporarily back to North Central Texas (Mineral Wells, for those of you who know where that is) for a few months in order to deal with family estate issues.

Just FYI, I was medically retired from the military after 16+ years on 01 March (heart condition - CAD that caused a mild heart attack) and will be medically retired from the Federal Technician program whenever OPM (kinda like HRO for all the Government Employees) gets around to processing the paperwork. When your Doc tells you that your LDL cholestorol is bad, pay attention!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
fastcam1
Young gun

Looks good
Posted via Mobile Device

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
zellway

Any progress on this? Looks like a great start!
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote