The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
67chevy1

Power steering question

What is the difference in power steering gear boxes threw the yrs, Do some have a different gear ratio or is it the bolt pattern. I'm getting ready to work on a 67 with manual an want to know what yr gear boxes I can look for.
67chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Power steering question

The 67 frame is a little different in the area where the steering box goes as the 67 had a power steering that was used through the drag ling instead of the box it self. The "bump" is somewhere in the center of the frame and will be evident when you go to mount up your new box. Any power box from a 2 wheel drive truck up to 87 and the suburban to like 90-91 will work and the newer ones will need a metric o-ring fitting but you can get them from LEE manufacturing. They are a industry leader with steering boxes. I would stay in the 77-78 range that is right before the went to the newer fitting but it was to cut down on leaks and the remedy is to just unscrew the big nut from the back of the pump and replace it with one from a newer pump and then all of the fitting will be the same type and have the newer leak resistant design. also the newer box is gonna be a little better in the ratio dept. as far as feel as turns to lock they will be improved there too.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote