The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
chewychevy67

Re: A question on installing an original '67 shoulder belt

I believe the car shoulders are different in the way they mount to the pillar but am unsure. someone will know that I am sure and post It up.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
jabborabbo

Mission accomplished! The existing bolt that secured the buckle belt to the floor in my truck is exactly like the bolt 71 super posted a picture of - I secured both buckle belts to the floor with the longer bolt pictured in my first post, and secured the shoulder belt with the bolt from the floor. In my haste to take a picture and post it I didn't run the belt back tight through the cover - I'll do that in a bit.

And yes, it'll be a PITA to use relative to modern 3-point systems, but since I don't drive my truck daily the über-coolness of having an original set up more than makes up for the added hassle (at least to me).

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread! This website absolutely kicks A!!!!!!
Attached Images

jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
54blackhornet

Sometimes I think this "Original Part " thing goes way to far ? I would never want to relay on a set of 40 something year old seat belts in the event of a crash ? Now if you are just going to show the vehicle I can understand ! I am going to swap in some brand new belts with original style buckles and call it a day .
Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Grumpy old man

I truly appreciate original , But for my '67 promod daily driver build I will be going with NEW retractable seat belts . I'll start the '67 build after Christmas and I'll be working pretty much daily so I can be finished by the first nice sunny day of spring !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #30
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Sometimes I think this "Original Part " thing goes way to far ? I would never want to relay on a set of 40 something year old seat belts in the event of a crash ? Now if you are just going to show the vehicle I can understand ! I am going to swap in some brand new belts with original style buckles and call it a day .
To each his own...some folks like original, some folks like custom, some folks like functionality, etc. I kinda suspect that if I'm ever in a crash such that the seat belts fail then I'll die of internal bleeding whether they fail or not.
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Sometimes I think this "Original Part " thing goes way to far ? I would never want to rely on a set of 40 something year old seat belts in the event of a crash ? Now if you are just going to show the vehicle I can understand ! I am going to swap in some brand new belts with original style buckles and call it a day .
Agreed. Degrading of the belts after all these years or even using dye on old belts may have an effect on their intended purpose. The shop that done the make over of my bench seat claims re-webbing the belts with new material is the best way to go. I may go that route on my build. Additionally the shoulder options for those who have little ones with car seats and such I can see too.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabborabbo View Post
To each his own...some folks like original, some folks like custom, some folks like functionality, etc. I kinda suspect that if I'm ever in a crash such that the seat belts fail then I'll die of internal bleeding whether they fail or not.
Exactly. The only time I have ever seen a seatbelt fail is when it's not worn.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote