The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Courtesy /glove box lights

My truck was a bare bones, no options truck. I have picked up a glove box light and two courtesy lights that I would like to install. As you know, My 1968 original fuse box has very limited connection points. My dome light is controlled by the light switch knob, (no door switches). So my questions are: how are the lights wired? The courtesy lights I would like to control with the headlight switch, same as the dome light. The glove box light should be hot all the time as well. So how do I wire these lights? (Fuse box/ switch connections and splicing wires) Also, where would the courtesy lights be physically mounted? I found two holes on the underside of my dash area but the are on the far ends, seems like the lights should be closer to the middle.

Thanks for the help!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Courtesy /glove box lights

The holes are right they are toward the outer ends of the dash. My 70 that is in my shop now has a dome but no courtesy lamps[or door jamb switches[yet]. So I would say that yes you would be correct in that the far end of the varible rheastat [on the headlamp switch] the locking part is where that should be wired. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
magicoolbus

The courtesy light should have a orange and a white wire. The white one is the selectable ground wire, in that when you turn the headlight knob to the dome light on position, it grounds the white wire. The orange wire is a always hot source. The headlight switch has the correct wire there too. If you use that location, you will also be using a wire that is fused by the existing fuse panel. Do a search in the electrical section and find any post by VetteVet or Fixit-p -smartest write ups on the planet!

Here's one thread that should answer you Q's.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...courtesy+light
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Z10

Steve,
I'm adding all of these lights and the door switches. Jump over to my build and ask Double E, your questions. He's just completed the wiring, sourced the proper door switches etc. My link is in my signature below.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Steve Cole

Thanks Guys! That was helpful. I know I Need to tie into the light switch wiring but how? I don't want to hack up the wiring, I was wondering how the factory tied the wiring together. Is there some kind of 1 into 2 connector out there? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Lots of two into one spade connectors avail.Should be able to get one for any standard type connector.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
magicoolbus

Here's what I did (am doing): Using Packard 56 terminal connectors, orange and white wire, I made a jumper connector for the courtesy light power and ground. I am also putting in the door switches. Since I am working on a suburban, I am also working on the third door and rear barn door. Pictures should help. The first one is of the headlight switch and pigtail that I made. I removed the terminal from the plug, cut it close to old terminal, and spliced in the same colored wire to the 56 terminal and reinstalled in the plug. I added a two plug connector to the end of the new wires, I am wiring in my own courtesy lights, not a aftermarket reproduction ones.
I also added vw beetle style door switches to the third door as there isn't enough room for the regular style ones that I put in the front doors. I also used the vw style for the rear barn door, you can see where I added the swtich. Will finish that wiring tonight, was waiting on a roll of 18ga TXL white wire.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Steve Cole

Thanks Magicoolbus! That clears up a lot. Two questions: did you have any trouble putting the 2 wires into the 1 terminal? And are you installing a glove box light? If so, where did you wire it to?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
magicoolbus

If you use a terminal that is for 12 to 14 gauge and use 18 gauge wire, no problems. The glove box will need a different circuit. There is usually a factory pigtail on that is avail. If you use the cigarette lighter, put in an inline fuse as the fuse for the cigarette lighter is higher than you would want for the glove light. Remember, the glove light uses common ground.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5