The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #26
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: An observation (and point of pride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojak View Post
Larry, your truck just kills me every time I see it. Really dig just about everything about it. The only way I would like it more is if it was mine, that I had built. I will tell you that your rig is my inspiration for my rig. Never going to do all you've done, but my version of that type of truck is ultimately were I am heading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
you do have an very cool truck.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
looks cold in the pic. ol'chevy getting it done! miserable here right now too. 18F and 5F with the windchill. yes, other canuck truckers will chime in 5F is nice & balmy, but we live on the "wet coast", not the snowbelt
It was cold that day. That was last April on the way to the Mohave Desert and Death Valley for a 9 day off-road adventure trip. We left in a snow storm to be greeted to upper 80’s by the next morning when we met the rest of our party in Ft. Mohave, Arizona.

I had forgotten the last time I drove the Suburban to the Colorado Springs airport the shuttle bus driver was all geeked over it and wanted see the inside as he transferred my bags from the shuttle van to the Burb. Got treated to a story where he and friends drove one “just like it” to Baja Mexico and got it stuck on the beach when he was just out of high school. The old rigs are definitely a conversation piece no matter where you go. Definitely one of the neat things in life that unites people.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #27
augwld

I get it constantly whether I am in my '79 k10 short bed lifted 6", 'Mabel', or in my '86 longbed stock,'Samson'. My '86 more so cause he is all original and only 52,000 on the od. Factory 2 tone paint gets them. I always reply; "You can't afford her/him." One guy said "seriously, name your price." I told him; "A '69 el camino of equal condition and a running 454 with 5 speed tranny also, or a '68 dodge charger with a 426 hemi." He laughed and said;"got you,not for sale. Nice truck."
augwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #28
bojak

Larry, as much as I like your truck the suburban is pretty awesome too. I might like it even more. Your a lucky fella to have so much sweet squareness to pick from.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Jeepwm69

Dad's High Sierra looks a little rough (needs paint, dash pad, wheels) BUT it has 39K miles on it, one owner, runs like a top, and has almost no rust. No dents/dings ether.

Every time I drive it somebody comes up thinking I'm going to sell "that old truck" for peanuts because it needs a paint job. Honestly it's kinda irritating.

Once I get it painted/cleaned up to LOOK as good as it runs, it will probably be more like the old CJ's we have where they want it as it is, and the offers get more realisitic.

Doesn't matter though, not selling any of them.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I had one that wasn't for sale. Then it was for a couple of days, and now it's gone. I sure liked that truck, but at least it went to a good home.
Don't worry- Sounds like you're getting the back half back!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Don't worry- Sounds like you're getting the back half back!
Kind of one piece at a time, Johnny Cash style!. I already have the spindles on my truck.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #32
chvtrkman

Interesting, isn't it, how they almost always seem to ask "What year is it?", as if to say, I KNOW it's gotta be old. (as it stands out among all the 10 year old and newer vehicles).... that is what I always get asked, whether driving the 78 or the 69 around town...Just today I stopped at the supermarket to buy a few items on the way home from work in the 78, when a fellow who obviously worked at the store stopped me...first words out of his mouth were "What year is it?", followed by "They sure don't make them like that anymore.". It's always a pleasure to chat with someone a few minutes, and you have to appreciate their interest in your ride.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote