The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
gsd4life86

New seat questions for restoration

Im finishing up my restoration on my 71 K2500. I have the original seat, but its tore up. I'd like to upgrade to a more comfortable seat. The gray/charcoal color cloth seats out of the late 90's-early 00's GM truck are comfortable. Id like to know what people experience has been installing different seats in a IN CAB fuel tank. Any major clearence or comfort issues?? What seats work the best??
gsd4life86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: New seat questions for restoration

Do you mean the 99-07 body style? A ton of people are using them they are kinda inexpensive and are really comfortable. They also [if you get one from the upper trim level] have fold down armrest/seat. One huge bonus is that they have the seat belt system built into the seat frame. The main drawback however if you are shall we say larger than the everyday man, it is gonna be in your best intrest to maybe keep looking. But I am basing those figures on me and I am a little past much larger than the average man at 6'3 375# but I am really big bonedFor some reason I can stand beside some one who is 6ft and 300# and he looks way bigger than I do? But back to the seats if your not huge it will work out. I tried it but it was before the tilt column and that will also help if you need more room. I know people were big in those days too what did they do?
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
gsd4life86

Yes, thats what I was talking about. I wasnt 100% on what years they were used. Well, Im 5'9 and a lil overweight. From what It sounds like, they should work. I like the look of my bench seat, but I like to feel a little more secure in my seat. There is potential for a under bed fuel tank set up. I know I'll have a lot more room then. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
68K30

I put a 1992 gmc seat, the one with the grey cloth cover and arm rest in my 68 with the in cab gas tank. Two front holes lined up had to drill two new rear holes, used the seat belts and shoulder harnesses . I had to drill new holes for the seat belts and make 1/4" reinforcements for the new holes. It all fit great and feels as good as my 05 Suburban (miss the seat heaters) I am not small 6'3" 260# this was the single nicest upgrade I have done, the best part it was free out of a truck that my sons shop was scrapping.
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
hugger6933

I meant ti include that what ever seat you do I would hope your able to make some support strap underneath the floor to help support the new stuff and just have the extra safety that the General did not provide for us when the truck was built
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
tlcrz1972

For all the safety concerns that are out there, you are in your best interest to NOT USE those seats with built in seat belts.

No matter how you attach them to the floor, you have no idea what-so-ever if in a crash situation if it will hold.

I've been around the aircraft seating industry, and have watched many test running high speed cameras and you would be so amazed at something, even overbuilt that can snap in a split second. And something that was designed to flex and give under load does it's job and holds as needed.

All these new automotive seats have undergone extensive and expensive test with them mated to the floor pans to know that they will survive in the mandated requirements.

Im sure many of you say oh it'll never happen. Maybe it won't, but is it worth the chance. Were already driving in vehicles that only kinda-sorta passed crash worthyness 40 years ago.

Just my two cents of advice.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
gsd4life86

Well you have a point, and I agree with you tlcrz1972. Safety is a big concern of mine as well. For the time being, I may end up upgrading to a new 3 point belt set from LMC. Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
hugger6933

The difference in the floor of a 72 truck and a 02 truck is only a nut plate where the seat goes. Granted there are different bends pressed into the floor pan areas but I am not so sure that is for reinforcement. I have had a lot more later trucks down to the floor and even cross sectional type deals than I have the 67-72and I have seen quite a few with cracked or broken floor areas around the seat nut plate, and I hadn't riden in them yet. Not to excuse any expert thoughts from anyone else.