The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
MacsGTO

What to do when discouraged

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've posted. I'm currently due to return home soon from a long deployment overseas. I was making a list of things I need and need to do to get my '65 reassembled and running. It's starting to get a little overwhelming and was wondering what some tricks are that everyone does to keep the motivation instead of scrapping the project? I loved the truck when I could play in it and I know I will love it even more if she were to be finished, but getting there is a ways away now. Where I'm at, I started replacing rocker and kick panels before I left which needs to be finished. Floor pans, body mounts, carb work, engine leaks, gear box leads, carb and shift linkage aren't correct and a lot of welding for the new panels. The plus side, power disc conversion complete, front and rear drop with c-notch kit in, auto trans installed. All electrical is finished. It seems I've done the easy stuff. Any tips? Oh and my garage is only big enough to back it out or nose it out depending on where I'm working so space is limited. What's the best way to change out the body mounts without a lift? Sorry this is so long. I appreciate any motiviation and help. -George
MacsGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
lil_sahara450r

Re: What to do when discouraged

Trust me, you aren't the only one that gets discouraged. I started a similar thread awhile back found out that almost everyone else is about as slow going as me (cept dino, damn that guy is fast!). Life, family, work, lack of funds, etc.. really slow things down. The thing I find myself needing the most is TIME! Its been 3 years since mine has been on the road, or even out of the shop for that matter, but I think about it everyday. You just gotta stick with it and work on it every chance you get, and it sounds like you've already got alot done so you're ahead of alot of others.
Frame off in progress!

'69 Camaro Original 327 4 speed - completed
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
NEWFISHER

Break it down into each project and complete it before moving on. I.e. 1 floor pan stop, hood removal - grille- and front bumper stop, breakdown one door and clean parts stop. If you allocate 2 hrs a night to simple 1 hour projects then you feel that you have accomplished something and have time left to clean and organize. This is what worked for me. I used to blow all systems apart and then realized I bit off more than I could chew and fel into the same depression. It took a couple major restorations. To figure out what works best for me.

Use the backbone of a cherry picker with a 4x4 spread across the cab to lift the cab to access the body mounts without a lift.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
JPBrecheisen

Thank You for your service.

Body mounts aren't bad at all even if you have limited space and tools. I have done them before with just a simple floor jack and a few blocks of wood. What I did was take off the lower nuts at the core support, front cab mount, and rear cab mount. Its going to be 6 total. Then I used a 4x4 block of wood that was about 2 feet long. I just jacked up very lightly under the floor board support with the block of wood positioned lengthwise to distribute the weight evenly. You only need to raise the body just off the mounts to get them out. Once you get the cab up a bit, just slide the bolts up and pull out the old and put in the new and ease it back down. Obviously you have to do one side at a time, but it can be done.

I agree with the other replies. Just make a list of items and do one thing at a time. What I try to do is dedicate at least an hour each night to making progress on my stuff. Even if you only get on it for 30 min, its 30 min closer. Progress is progress. Sometimes if you get on it, and stay on it...even if only for just a little bit each night, it can gain momentum and you'll start seeing the progress in a few short weeks. Once you see that progress, you may find it becomes self motivating. Time spent isn't always on the truck either. Sometimes its researching parts or information. That's part of it too.

Just keep after it. You'll get there.

Good luck.

Jonathon
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
jjzepplin

I go on this site once a day and see the fine rigs that members have here and at some local shows now and then and that serves as great inspiration. Sounds like you have a nice start. Just picture yourself cruising that nice ride around and do what you can when you can and soon it will be done.
I could not afford all the body work that needs to be done right now so I got her running so I could drive it and build the big garage and some day I will tear it back down to do some panel replacement and a nice paint job.
You see I needed something to launch that boat so I can enjoy some of my life!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Barter someone to work with you on your truck. If you know someone's showing up, will get you in the work spirit. If you know your expected to help someone else's project on another day will give you the break you need from your project. 27 years working on mine and it's not finished, they never are.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
cortcomp

It takes two things: Time, Money. My number one rule that is always true, is that time is a M*(&*(Fu&*&^&. It drains you of motivation, it makes things frustrating, and it undoes the work we do on our trucks.

That being said, look at it like time is on one end of the spectrum and money is on the other. Most people stay in the middle...some time some money in. Some people put a ton of time and effort in, and save a lot of money. Some people throw a lot of money at it, and it saves them a lot of time (i can be guilty of this, it's so easy to buy shiny repop stuff vs hand restoring every little part.)

If you really want to get it done quickly, divide up the things you can have shops or someone else do (Send that motor out to get new seals, pay someone to come knock out your bodywork or at least the patch panels, etc). Push more money at it, and get paid back in time. Seeing some progress will definitely get you your motivation back.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I know the feeling very well, what kept me motivated was to just work on what I could afford and have the time to. Mine is a heck of a long ways away, but one day I will be able to drive it....as long as I keep doing what I can. Some projects take time....and all projects take money and energy. I would start by getting it running and see if it will move under its own power. Then move on from there. When you truck is running, it helps with motivation as well. And don't be afraid to ask for help....We're here to be supportive! So keep at it!!!! And WELCOME back!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

Just think about how it will make you feel when you get to cruise it..

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
waspp

As many have already said pick one project at a time and focus on completing that project and then move on to the phase. I think that helps your motivation when you can look at something thats been "completed". I had a small garage as well when I did my 63 and the truck remained outside under a tarp for some time while I cleaned and sandblasted the frame. I also tipped the cab back onto the frame (plywood underneath) and made all my cab mount repairs and floor repairs while the cab was upright, no crane need just a couple for friends to tip it back. On bad weather days I would take smaller pieces and rehab them inside the garage just to keep things moving ahead. Hope you enjoy working on the old truck and get it done!
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
MARTYZ

Start a build thread here so we can hound you for updates and pics, with your limited space I would get it running and moving, lay a little rubber in the laneway will get the heart pumping and motivate you, also make easier to move around by your self. As said above pic project and finish each before moving on. Progress pics also help.
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
FetchMeAPepsi

Maybe since she's not mobile at all now, just slap her back together in driving condition then start your list project by project.

I can't add much to what these guys already said aside from this: If it's not running, go out there and sit in her, eat lunch in her and listen to the radio (or look out the window), run your hands along the dash, turn on the blinker, fiddle with the vent windows. Anything to be touching and "lovin" on her while you've got her down with "repair-itis."

The more time you spend with her sweeping out the bed, windexing the windshield, etc. the more of a connection you build and you'll look forward to getting those little projects finished.

And like they said before me, pick a small project like "LEFT BRAKE" and fix it. Not "All brakes", but left brake. That way she's only down for a few weekends at most, depending on the project. And hey, if you're about to get in the dreary months of winter maybe don't do anything that keeps her down long. Keep her mobile!

I don't work on mine at all in winter. Of course, after the weather drops to 60 I'm like molasses, I don't move much. It's the southern boy in me. I don't mind 120 degrees at all, but get a breeze in the air and I'm cuttin firewood
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
spacedebris

When ever I start getting discouraged, I just start looking at pics of completed trucks and think what I can have when done.

Here you go...you could be driving something like this.

**Pic taken off Google**
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
RANDY COX

Iv'e had my truck about a yr now and I find that If I make a list of things and concentrate on those and check off as you get them done and date it. You can actually see how much progress you've made and you might be surprised. I don't work on my truck everyday either Sometimes If you work on it everyday you get tired and sometimes aggravated. There have been times I get more done in a day than working on it all the time. Just keep thinkin the end result...And also this helps me is to look at the build threads in here...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
MacsGTO

What's up again fellas. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start implementing ALL of what you said. Breaking it down to one job at a time is truly going to help. The pic is very motivating as well though mine will be more of a ratrod semi-resto job. It's defintely nice to have a "support group". I'll start a build thread as soon as I can get some wrenches turning on it. If nothing else I can at least get some critiquing of my inexperienced welding. Again thanks.
MacsGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If your truck isn't already, I would concentrate on getting it running and moving under it's own power. Even if it isn't running perfectly, it is usually easier to stay motivated if you can drive it instead of push it around to work on it.

BTW. Thanks for your service, stay safe and come home soon.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #17
joedoh

throw some money at it. it may not pan out but at least this way you dont stand a chance of breaking even when you have to sell it.

really though, find someone who is excited about it and have them help you, nothing like a buddy with a contact high for your truck.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If your truck isn't already, I would concentrate on getting it running and moving under it's own power. Even if it isn't running perfectly, it is usually easier to stay motivated if you can drive it instead of push it around to work on it.

BTW. Thanks for your service, stay safe and come home soon.
Agreed....helps tons to be able to drive it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote