The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
520CheyenneK10

How I fixed my Hood from raising up in the rear even though new hinges were installed

OK race fans heres what I had going on with my 73' Cheyenne Super K10. Bought the rig and the hood hinges were worn to hell and the springs were shot like usual for a 40 yr. old truck. I bought new sets for both side from LMC and marked the old ones on the inner fenders and the hood on each side and installed. Well the damn rears was still stickin' up so I scratched my head and tried all I knew. I am not a big fan of altering holes and such but I did oval out the two forward fixed holes a bit since when I removed those two slotted ones and pushed the hood up so as to set the two slotted ones I could then reinstall the fixed ones. I did all that and lubed the hell outta the springs and all the pivot points on the hinges and still was up in the rear next to the windshield. I then got on line and looked here and even posted but got nothin new. I did a search and seen in another Chevy forum where a guy mentions his buddys hood flew open going down the highway and it pushed it up so hard that when he closed it the raising in the rear problem was no more and the hinges were fine. So I decided to give it a try and since I'm a 165 lbs. of raw hide and spring steel I knew I didn't need to take to the road so I stood on a 2 step stand and pushed like hell right in the center of the hood and i'll be damned if it didn't work. Hell I opened and closed it a dozen times since to make sure and it's still down in the rear. I don't know but I figured I'd let all you all know what I did since all the other threads and post on this subject seem to really not have a solution.

Last edited by 520CheyenneK10; 12-14-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added a word "slotted"
520CheyenneK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: How I fixed my Hood from raising up in the rear even though new hinges were insta

Sweet so did you push on it with the hood open? We're the hinges loosened for this?
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
520CheyenneK10

Re: How I fixed my Hood from raising up in the rear even though new hinges were insta

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Sweet so did you push on it with the hood open? We're the hinges loosened for this?
Yes at full open and the first time the hinges at the inner fender points were just cracked loose with the forward fixed screw being completely removed not finger loose that way the flanges would stay moving upwards in a straight line and not ride inward. Then I tightened all three and pushed up again at full open real hard. It almost feels like you're gonna taco the hood upwards on itself but that's not possible unless cracks already exist and you're a Silver Back Mountain Gorilla.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
bryantreams

Just tried it, worked for me other than a slight bow in the driver side of my hood.

Thanks
bryantreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
520CheyenneK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
Just tried it, worked for me other than a slight bow in the driver side of my hood.

Thanks
COOL!! Glad to help.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I must not have seen your original post, but the problem in in the adjustment.
The first thing you did was to mark the location of the old hinges.....and they were wrong. This is not only not helpful, it's misleading.
Second, and most important, the hinge adjustment is "backward" of what you would think. To get the back of the hood down, you actually move the back of the hinge UP. It sounds crazy, but if the hinge is too low, it never "closes" completely. This holds it up and forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
520CheyenneK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I must not have seen your original post, but the problem in in the adjustment.
The first thing you did was to mark the location of the old hinges.....and they were wrong. This is not only not helpful, it's misleading.
Second, and most important, the hinge adjustment is "backward" of what you would think. To get the back of the hood down, you actually move the back of the hinge UP. It sounds crazy, but if the hinge is too low, it never "closes" completely. This holds it up and forward.
I had no intent on misleading anyone for any reason. I was looking all through this site and seen no information regarding what you are telling us. I even posted in old threads hoping for a response. Not to be accusatory or ill willed, but if you had this knowledge, and it sounds as if it were borne out of either first hand experience or corporate intel, then being a "Team Leader" it seems it would have been your semi-obligation to have provided this information a long time ago when these posts' began surfacing. Now of course I don't know your history here and maybe you've actually never read any of these Hinge issue postings until now so don't be offended I used "obligation". Again I am not trying to mislead or cause trouble for any other member on this forum. I'll try what you said if the hood rearend raises again because it does sound plausible considering, "Murphys Law", when dealing with these older rigs. Thanks for providing much awaited information.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
cool68

use of Sea Foam Deep Creep lubricant will help keep things moving correctly.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm as human as everybody else. I can't possibly read every thread, but this is exactly why I appreciate good titles to new threads. So many are way too vague and these can get missed because of lack of detail. "Help" or "I have a ???" are bad titles and are often overlooked, by many people.

As far as "obligated?"...I don't even know how to respond to that....
I'm just one guy, who worked in a 4x4 shop back when they were still building squares....hating the IFS on the "new" trucks in '88. Then gained some more from spending most of the 90s as the fabricator in a bodyshop, doing everything from frame-up restorations to radical customs....cars, trucks and motorcycles.
35 years of hot rodding, the ability to explain it, and the willingness to help are the reasons that I am here. I stick to the areas that I know best and share when I can. There are several areas of the boards where you will never see me, unless a post is reported.
I do not however feel "obligated"....there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys here. There are many times when a subject is "covered" and if there is nothing to add or clarify, I move on. Sometimes this means that I may miss it if the subject changes along the way or a new question comes up because of an answer. Again, it depends upon the original post title or even location. I don't check every area, which means that there are posts that I could have responded too, but I can only do so much. As it is, I spend about 5 hours a day here and more as time permits on weekends. Most of my posts are thorough explanations or PhotoShop jobs. You will find very few single sentence responses except for questions about clarification from the original poster.
Some problems are resolved quickly and only get a few responses, others go on for several pages. Some have several solutions and spark debates.
I share what I know, from experience...and some old memory.
My "obligation" as a Staff member is to see that posts are responded too and rules are followed....I don't have to have all of the answers myself.

Hope that helps
BTW, I didn't mean to imply that you were misleading anyone. I meant that you were misleading yourself. You "assumed" that the adjustment of your old hinges was correct. This tricked you into following someone else's mistake. The counter-intuitive adjustment didn't help either, but that's GM's deal not mine...

Also, I know that I have explained the hood hinge adjustment thing at least once before, but I have no idea how long ago or the title of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 12-15-2013 at 11:12 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

As Longhair mentioned, its the term or slang words people use, try searching
"taco hood"
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote