The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
49gmcsteve

49 1 Ton GMC 5 window S10 swap

So I got an offer I couldn't refuse.....

Its a 49 GMC 5 window and the cab and front end has already been swapped over to an S10 reg cab long box chassis. A friend of mine has 3 other donor S10's with parts to pick from and I have a 327 sbc that has been sitting beside the money pit 67 Camaro project that I've been working on for the last 2 years. The wife wants the engine going into the Camaro, but we'll just store it in the 49 for now, to keep it warm.

A few months ago my buddy (Al) and I decided that we needed to increase our carbon footprints (Carbon Bigfoot prints) and buy fast trucks we figured with all the people buying Prius's it'll equal out. So we sold some stuff and looked for cheap (PG)joy because we were pissed off with all of our projects and bored so he bought a v8 swapped S10 and I found this.

My goals are to spend less than $3000, not farm out any of the work, and have a reliable working, running project that I can enjoy while making improvements.

So far I have:
A motor 327 sbc
Tranny(s) s10 T5s we have a few
I plan on using all the brake components, wiring harness, Running gear and as much of the donor s10 parts possible to pass vehicle inspection so I can insure it, then make it pretty.
A fairly clean cab, need some welding in the floor and a transmission tunnel.

I need:
A box
some v8 swap parts.
I will lower it and widen it, but the other stuff is more important

A lot of this stuff I've done in the past, but I have to relearn how to weld. We'll be starting up pretty soon, just have to make room in the garage as it'll be winter. My goal is to have it insured and going by May

Any advice and encouragement would be awesome and largely accepted.
Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548113
49gmcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
49gmcsteve

Re: 49 1 Ton GMC 5 window S10 swap

I found some patriot headers on craigslist yesterday picked those up

If I use the stock gas tank and want to use the mechanical fuel pump from my motor, what do I do with the electrical pump in the tank? Do I just hook it all up and leave it?
Build Thread
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
49gmcsteve

So a lot has been done since I posted last... I will get us caught up

We completely disassembled the body from the frame. Removed all suspension components and sent frame for sandblasting

Build Thread
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
49gmcsteve

The frame and 2000 GMC jimmy rear end I picked up went to sandblasting and when I brought them home I ended up leaving them on the trailer in the driveway and the sprinklers got them.... oh well a little clean up was needed

Build Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Here's the truck when it was complete prior to me getting ahold of it lol Another truck I probably should've kept based on the body condition and not many around with no rust.

Nate
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
49gmcsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Here's the truck when it was complete prior to me getting ahold of it lol Another truck I probably should've kept based on the body condition and not many around with no rust.

Nate
Nate!! All I gotta say is HOLY BALLS!!! That truck looked so pretty. What happened to the box and running boards? I have put together a box from 5 different trucks in search all over the NW swap meets and Craigslist. This whole build has been a real adventure. If you have anything else, let me know. Pics or documents send to stephenamsing@gmail.com. I'm also in Surrey if you want to come check it out. I would love to check out that Caddy also.... I'm a big fan

This just got me re-excited!! Had to take a break for a few weeks and now I'm itching to get back at it.

Steve
Build Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Well I bought the truck from a guy in Mission as he was moving away and I had an older motorhome chassis to put it on as I was building a tow vehicle. I ended up just running out of time and space, so I scrapped the motorhome and parted out the '49 to Al who then had my buddy weld up the mounts on the S10 frame. The bed was actually a hydraulic lift bed and sold that and hydraulics to another buddy over in Maple Ridge for his IHC project.

I have a bad habit of buying stuff with good intentions and then life getting in the way hahaha The '64 Caddy's we have though aren't getting sold anytime soon as it's my fiancees favorite car. Just gotta focus on one project at a time now rather than having 5-10 scattered all over lol

I'm just off Hwy 10 and 192nd area, so Langley/Surrey border. What area are you in? Might have stop by when it warms up and see how the truck's coming along. You don't happen to know anybody parting out a '64 Caddy or with any old Caddy parts? The engine/tranny adaptor plate on my Fleetwood is broken and need to replace it, but I don't feel like droppin the Sedan tranny to get the good adaptor. Rather find one that's already out. Getting lazy in this cold weather lol

Here's a pic of the '49 creepin' from the back haha My neighbours loved me

Nate
Attached Images

Last edited by dubds10; 12-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
49gmcsteve

Ok, so weird,

I bought the disc rear end set up (3.73's and Posi) that I have from the buddy that you got to weld up the mounts, just happened to show him a pick of my truck and he was like.... "I know that truck" I did all the welding. This trucks story is so random and everyone is connected. I've also been all over at swap meets buying OG parts to try to keep it old...

It just needs to get back on the road.... Aiming for May/June. I just need to assemble it and do a bit of welding.... Staying away from bags for now, I like the colour but I'm not going to be able to match it... Thinking It'll be similar.

Made my day.
Build Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
49gmcsteve

I'm in Guildford and my neighbours love me too.....hahaha Congrats on having a woman who loves old steel, mine does too.
Build Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49gmcsteve View Post
Ok, so weird,

I bought the disc rear end set up (3.73's and Posi) that I have from the buddy that you got to weld up the mounts, just happened to show him a pick of my truck and he was like.... "I know that truck" I did all the welding. This trucks story is so random and everyone is connected. I've also been all over at swap meets buying OG parts to try to keep it old...

It just needs to get back on the road.... Aiming for May/June. I just need to assemble it and do a bit of welding.... Staying away from bags for now, I like the colour but I'm not going to be able to match it... Thinking It'll be similar.

Made my day.
Oh yeah I forgot, Frank did mention you buying that rearend from him lol Yeah it's a pretty small community when it comes to all the car enthuisiasts out here in the Valley. One way or another we all know each other and cross paths lol