The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
nikwho

New project needs an identity

Hello guys, I've not been on this forum much lately, as I sent my '59 Apache with my dad in CA. So, I was content building my '67 Pontiac and that has also left so we could put a down payment on our new house. So, I picked up my new project today. Its in many, many pieces, but the cab is super solid and pretty free of rust, so I thought that I would go ahead and tackle it. It's currently title-less, but we're working on that. I will hold off work until I have a title in hand.

I was told that it was a 1948 Chevy. However, now I am confused. With my decoding (from the front of an LMC catalog), the only codes that jive, is the list of codes for a 51-55 1st series. The sequence does not line up with any of the other formats that I see. I have come to the conclusion that its not '48 Chevy, but maybe a '47 GMC?

So, I was wondering if I could get some help? I uploaded a pic of the Serial number tag, although its a horrible picture, so I apologize, my dumb phone camera is pretty bad. So, not that you can read it, but on this tag, it has 152 22 C 2443.
I read this as(from the GMC 51-55 1st list):
manual trans (because the first spot was blank, as opposed to having an "M")
152 = 3/4 ton, 125.25" bed
22 = 228 c.i. straight 6 engine
C = Oakland plant
2443 = production number being that of 1947?

So, the production number would seem to be a '47 GMC. But, the serial number format only jives with the 51-55 list? Am I way off base here? I got the truck with no front fenders, but it did come with a chrome Chevy grill, which led me to believe that it was a Chevy. From just looking at the tuck, I only know enough to say that its a '47-'53, having the split window. There is a GMC horn button in one of the parts boxes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nik
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: New project needs an identity

I'll add that the truck came with lots of solid parts, and for the right price. It came with just one (drivers rear) fender, so I will have to source a front set and a right rear fender, but it came with 5 solid doors, so I figure that I will be able to trade the 3 extra doors for the 3 missing fenders locally. I have also picked up a 1994 2wd Extra cab, short bed S-10, that will be a frame/suspension/drive line donor. I'll be picking that one up later this week or weekend. going to tear it down, part out the stuff that I won't use and start prepping the frame for the swap. Will hopefully have the frame swap completed over the winter and have it all mocked up and driving. I have not decided on the power plant yet. I have kicked around everything from keeping the S-10's 2.2L 4 banger just to get it on the road, to big blocks, to LS engines. I'll cross that bridge as I progress. The S-10 I bought has a freshly rebuilt (bought from friend/coworker that had the engine built by the machine shop that builds my engines, so I know it happened and trust the work) little 2.2L 4 banger in it, with a 4L60E behind it. I am considering just doing the body swap and getting it driving and swap the engine as phase two of the build.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
mechanixman

A good way to tell if it's a 47-50 or a 51-55, is look at the driver's side cowl panel. If it's flat, you have the later model years. If it has a side door that opens up for extra air flow, you have a 47-50.
Maybe this will also help
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...89428322_n.jpg

This facebook group has a whole lot fo information on it. I'm sure you can find everything out by looking through their pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3839374&type=3

Hope that helps,

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
wood1

A great source for GMC trucks is www.oldgmctrucks.com
You will find your answers there for sure.
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
OrrieG

Since the first part corresponds with the 51-55 and the referenced production number list stops at 1950, I would assume the production numbers reset?? Since you are going to be rodding it does the state you are titling it in make a difference or will you be issued a new vin as a modified vehicle? Glad to hear you are dealing with the title issue first, there is another current thread outling titling woes.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
oldcouple

How about Basketcase?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
nikwho

Haha. Not a name, just trying to work out what year it is. So, its definitely a '51-'53, as it does not have the cowl vent on the drivers side as mechanixman mentioned above, and the split front windshield. So, moving down the list, the glove box door and speaker grill are painted steel, not SS. my speedo goes to 90mph and I have a 60 lb. oil pressure gauge. So, that would make it a '53 by this chart. It also has vent windows and the horizontal rod under the seat frame. Though, it has pre-'52 turn door handles, not push button. But, the truck did come with 5 doors and only one set of handles. So, I think that it would be fairly safe to say that it's a '53. Thanks for the reference materials, guys! I appreciate the help.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
iowaboynca

I know you said you weren't looking for a name, but I like "Mutt"...
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

"Who's What Truck"

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
torchlight

Do you have a hood with a side emblem on it? Might be another useful clue.

If so, does the emblem say "3100," "Chevrolet," or "Chevrolet 3100?"
Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
nikwho

No side emblems on the hood. From all of the clue's that I have gotten from the cab, I am fairly sure that it is a '53.

Thanks for the help guys.

Nik