The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
hot rod mini truck

What cam should I get

Ok guys I have a question I have a for bolt main 350 bored.60 over I plan to run a performer intake and vortec heads my question is what would be a good cam to run in this set up? P.s this is my first hot rod motor
hot rod mini truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: What cam should I get

for cam choice need a bit more engine info, what compression ratio( dished, flat top pistons etc) to go with those heads, what gear ratio, trans (std 4spd or 3spd auto) and what is it going in. Most applications a Comp cam 262 to 268H hydraulic cam is a good choice, but nice to have a bit more info to make sure.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
hot rod mini truck

It will be in a 67 c10 it has a Saginaw 4 speed behind it (I'm not sure what it's out if) it has flat top pistons as of now I plan on using the factory rear end
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
mud.man.rj

It also depends on how you want to drive it, rip up the streets some and daily drive prob so with the gear ratio prob in the 3.23 ratio a 268H Comp cam would work out nice for the weight of the truck and the 4spd, sounds good at idle, having a 4spd will help it off the line and still good to about 5,600 rpm and dependable all day long. I have used around 15 0f these cams so far, for a bit more torque and used for pulling I tend to use the 262 and for more performance but worse bottom end a 276H, so best bet is still the 268H. The actual part # is 12-242-2 Extreme energy line up.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
hot rod mini truck

Ok sweet thanks for the info it will just be a weekend toy I drive to far to work to use it as a daily or I would lol it's a gas hog already and I'm sure it's not getting any better
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
mud.man.rj

The Performer Rpm is a better intake than the Performer if you want to step up a bit more and a set of roller tip rocker arms will help out a bit too, all works together like a puzzle.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
hugger6933

The Comp Cam 268 H is a awesome grind. I have used it a ton of times and never have been unhappy with it. I am with the above poster you may be choking the whole deal at the top by the smaller intake, I would choose a RPM or better yet [I have a RPM air gap on my vortec headed small block]and I was/am [it is under a cover in the corner of my shop. I pulled it from a 95 S-10 I had it in] It also had the flat tops and just a bit more cam [maybe a little too much]and it was quite impressive. I think you will be very happy with it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
hot rod mini truck

I forgot to list the roller rockers they are in the plan I'll look around and see if I can find the performer rpm intake I'm trying to build this for under 1500including the new 3 inch exaust so other then the cam and rockers I'm trying to get everything used I bought a gear drive the other day and I'm picking up my headers today
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Those vortec heads are pretty efficient. They don't need a whole lot of cam to make them come alive. The original springs will need to be changed. They'll coil bind after about .450 lift. I wouldn't use a RPM intake unless you plan to run well over 6,000 rpm. This isn't at all likely with a street motor. Too much cam, carb, or intake will hurt your performance, and kill your fuel economy.
Don't count on my advice, or any others. Do your homework.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
hot rod mini truck

Ok thanks for the advice I hang out at the locale body shop a lot (my brother works there) and a guy that came in pretty regularly use to build top fuel cars for a living and was going to hellp me but now that I have the money to start buying parts I can't get ahold of him lol
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
70blackfish

one thing about cams, better to go small then big, it will be a pig if the cam is to big, and all other parts don't match.
is all about the right combo. read what the cam manufacture recommends, they will say use this converter, these gears, this kind of intake.
should get you in the ballpark.
i was a kid once i learned the hard way..
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
hot rod mini truck

Lol I'm trying to avoid the hard way i know building a performance motor is expensive so I want to get it right the first time
Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
67 chevelle

My suggestion is ,Chevrolet Performance 24502476 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft ,this is the one chevy puts in their 350/330 horse ho engine , that realy makes 350 horse and has the same power as their zz4 , the reason being is it has the same heads you have , vortecs , probably THE best head design for a street driven performance car .

There is a quote by lingifelter somewhere that he can make great power with an engine with good heads and a mild cam , but with marginal or mismatched performance heads , and a great cam the engine runs like junk
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
mud.man.rj

how ever you look at it a good cam will have more lift than the Vortec springs can handle, the 262 is a mild cam and has a lift of .462 Int and .469 exh and the one I usually use the 268 has a .477 Int and .480 Exh, which work great street and some hard use but great daily driver with being finicky as for the intake the performer is good all around but not as great when pushed past 5,500 which some like to do now and then, the Rpm is basically the same especially with a standard trans but nice up to 6,500, your choice and if you already have the performer just use it, not enough difference to warrant buying another intake.