The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
vht

LS and fuel tanks

What are you guys using for a gas tank with the ls motors? I've got a 6.0, planning on 550 hp, maybe not right off but later, if I go with inj I would like to have a system that works. I have a 70 chevelle tank, but if I go with a internal pump, don't think that's going to be deep enough. I don't want a tank that sticks down where it stands out like a sore thumb. Everybody says not to use a external pump, but with a return line and it not dead headed, I don't see why it would run hot. If you stick a pump in the tank, it's going to have to have baffling. 1st off will be a head change and a cam, lifters, may pull it out the following winter and make some changes so I'd like to do this once. What do you all think? Can't afford 1 of those $1000 tanks, this is a budget deal.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
vht

Re: LS and fuel tanks

I was thinking a walbro external, gsl391 at Summit seemed like a good 1 but still in the planning stages. Wanted to get the tank in and the lines run before I put the cab on.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
hard3

I bought an aluminum 15 gal fuel cell tank.I ordered it online from a racecar place, but Summit sells the same tank. 20x24x10 in tall. I found that the stock S10 in tank pump fit the fill hole just right. It is just large enough diameter to fit over the fill hole. I made a hold down ring to bolt down with the 1/4 inch bolts that hold the fuel fill into the tank. The fuel pump is about 3/8 inch off the tank bottom. I had to make another fuel fill inlet,but have an external fill tube and door in the left rear fender. S10 pump has supply 3/8 line, return 5/16 line,vent 1/2 in. hose , and return from canister 1/4 in. tube.I made a gasket to seal the pump to the tank, and the hold down ring from 1/8 aluminum . I have about $150 invested total.
hard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I have a 17 gallon tank from Tank.inc with a in tank fuel pump.

Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You can get a Tanks Inc EFI ready tank with pump and sender from us for under $500.

Using a stock tank with no fuel tray can be an issue with pump starvation. If you use a stock Chevelle tank You need to have a pump with a fuel cup attached so it doesn't suck air at half tank around corners. The some stock GM pumps have that cup so using a stock GM in tank pump like an S10 would work OK. Its just modifying the tank to make it all work versus buying a setup ready to go. What your comfort level is with gas tanks and what your time worth determines what path you go..

The Mustang EFI tank with a Walbro GPA-4 will handle up to 650 hp, it doesn't hang down like a Blazer tank and its a rear fill but can be plumbed to come out the side or through the bed floor. Its also an 16 gallon tank
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Nev68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post

Hi Bam,
Is that the tank vent with the blue cap? Is that some type of filter?

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Speedbumpauto

I've posted this before but Tanks makes a 17 gal similar to Kabwe's in poly and it fits a 51 Ford sedan, I believe and can be had with a 255 Walbro setup. Has an outlet suitable for a fender filler. I think another member did almost the same thing. Not too pricey. You can see how I chose to do the fuel door in the driver rear fender. I'm not a big fan of the bed fill spout and my license plate covers up the reciever hitch.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
I've posted this before but Tanks makes a 17 gal similar to Kabwe's in poly and it fits a 51 Ford sedan, I believe and can be had with a 255 Walbro setup. Has an outlet suitable for a fender filler. I think another member did almost the same thing. Not too pricey. You can see how I chose to do the fuel door in the driver rear fender. I'm not a big fan of the bed fill spout and my license plate covers up the receiver hitch.

That's a good option, It will take a Walbro PA style pump that has the fuel tray on the pump. The PA-4P pump is rated for 650 hp
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Hi Bam,
Is that the tank vent with the blue cap? Is that some type of filter?
Yes its a vent and actually its not a blue cap its just tape over the it so no dust and stuff its in there. The filter I'm running is the Corvette LS Filter/Regulator.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Nev68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Yes its a vent and actually its not a blue cap its just tape over the it so no dust and stuff its in there. The filter I'm running is the Corvette LS Filter/Regulator.
Don't want to side track this thread but it is related to EFI. I have just bought in tank pump hanger from Tanks Inc and while the vent has a rollover valve on the inside of the tank it is basically just an open tube on the outside. Should this vent pipe have a cover or filter or something?

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
vht

dwcsr, I got on your site and looked, you have a lot of stuff I'm going to be needing. Can you pm me your number so I can call you when I get ready to do this? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

yes but it is in my sig line. I do answer the phone 7 day til 9 pm CST. If I don't answer leave a message with when I can call you back.

PM sent
Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Don't want to side track this thread but it is related to EFI. I have just bought in tank pump hanger from Tanks Inc and while the vent has a rollover valve on the inside of the tank it is basically just an open tube on the outside. Should this vent pipe have a cover or filter or something?
I would run a hose to a higher point or even to the engine compartment and connect it to a charcoal canister. Canisters can be had a pick a part or any parts yard or Rock Auto say for a 72 Chevy truck or later. Early ones are usually round and later ones are rectangular. $40-60 new.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I would run a hose to a higher point or even to the engine compartment and connect it to a charcoal canister. Canisters can be had a pick a part or any parts yard or Rock Auto say for a 72 Chevy truck or later. Early ones are usually round and later ones are rectangular. $40-60 new.
dwcsr beat me to it. I doing exactly what he said "to the engine compartment and connect it to a charcoal canister".
Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
solidaxel

? are all charcoal canisters created equal?
Is one better than the other?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
vht

All are pretty much the same. Some of the rectangular one's would take up less space. It would just act as a filter, vent but keep dirt out. Great idea.