The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
awesomedude69

Clever title for my '69 C10 bulid AKA Project Carolyn

Lets start from the beginning shall we..Lets see, one of my first memories, is riding with my grandpa in his 67-72 mustard yellow and white C10 with my grandparents slide in camper in the back while they where visiting us in AK..Now fast forwarding a "couple" years and many cars later, i got one, i finally have my C10..and a camper just like Gramps had, minus the color and not the same make of camper, but gosh darn it, i got them both!

As i got her

After a quick bath

The inside and one fat dog

The 250 W/3 OTT

Carolyn getting towed home with my new to me early 70's camper

So the story i do know about the truck, it has been sitting since '05, the gentleman i got it from said that it needed the new carb (Rochester MonoJet) to be put on it and it should drive..well that's not so true as it always is. when i finally got the truck home i noticed the the carb on the truck looked to be "brand" new, the carb had been rebuild by AutoLine. so i thought, Score! no need to put new carb on, the guy most have forgot that he put it on the truck, Sweet! one less thing to do, so all i had to do was get some fresh gas and a battery, then i would be on my way..Now Ill be the first to admit i don't work on American cars, in fact this is my first American car and first non-German car, i can rebuild a Porsche 356 or 911 engine or change out the rear end on a BMW M5, but im a little lost when it comes to Chevy. I know it is the same principle, but it is completely different parts and way of thinking.

With all this said im 99% sure this rebuilt carb is missing parts and this is why i think so...We got the truck to run but wouldn't idle, so we took the top off the carb and saw that it had had some fuel in it at some point and it dried out and gummed everything up. So after another rebuild (that i did), i installed the carb and this time it was a lot harder to start and really wouldn't idle..when i did the rebuild i noticed that the rebuild kit is for many different years and models, so when it showed a part that i didn't have i just assumed it was for a certain model or year that was not meant for my application..Now after many hours of looking at the World Wide Web, i see that i am missing parts for this carb (i think)...can anyone confirm this or help me with what the hell i did wrong.

Oh! also I "attacked" the hood, drivers door and fender with a little love from a scrubby, hot soapy water and a little WD40 i wanted to see roughly how she'll look when i get some CLR, polish and wax..im going to keep it as original as i can..well, minus it being dropped on the ground and a few engine goodies.

any and all help is appreciated, also I thank you in advance!
awesomedude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
awesomedude69

Re: Clever title for my '69 C10 bulid AKA Project Carolyn

thanks for all the help guys..anyways, i started cleaning her.

a little more rust then i thought, but still not bad for being in the PNW and sitting for the last 9 years totally uncared for.

what did these hubcaps come off of? i love them! i want to paint my wheels satin black and touch up the hub caps, so all you would see is a small chrome ring and the bow tie..

im assuming this not original but i dig the pattern, going to clean it up and see if i can tighten it up, it sags a little and is really loose in some areas

the rubber floor mat is in crazy good condition! the few rips it has are from me not being as careful as i should be with it..was wondering if there is any good product that would bring the life back to this? i hate to toss it away, but to scared to use it in its current condition without making it more soft and less fragile..

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but whatcha you gunna do?

tomorrow, i'll finish cleaning the inside and i hope there is enough daylight to start cleaning the motor as well.

thanks for any and all the help!
awesomedude69 is offline   Reply With Quote