The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
WCHLVR

Automatic Steering Column Issues

Just picked up a 64 LWB Custom with a factory Powerglide. This poor truck has had it's life rang out of it but I looking to give him a new lease on life. Slowly sorting through all the messes made by the previous owners but the steering column baffles me though. It is super loose. The steering shaft, the trim bezel/turn signal housing, as well as the gear select housing all have massive amounts of slop in them. I have had it apart several times but something seems to either be missing or worn out/broken.

Would anyone happen to have some insight into this or maybe a exploded parts diagram I can refer to?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
WCHLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
WCHLVR

Re: Automatic Steering Column Issues

Bump this up in the hope for some help/advice.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Rich 5150 69

Sounds like it needs bearings and bushings here...
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...lumn-parts.php
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
WCHLVR

Well thats where is gets weird. There is definitely an upper bearing in there but I see nowhere for it to be anchored to. The bearing I see is part of the turn signal assembly. This assembly attaches to the turn signal bezel/housing but there is nothing I can see to attached this housing to the column. There is a small "keyed" area that gives it location in the column but nothing to lock it tight.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
1966shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHLVR View Post
Well thats where is gets weird. There is definitely an upper bearing in there but I see nowhere for it to be anchored to. The bearing I see is part of the turn signal assembly. This assembly attaches to the turn signal bezel/housing but there is nothing I can see to attached this housing to the column. There is a small "keyed" area that gives it location in the column but nothing to lock it tight.
On my column i bought was loose also . one {3 tang's total} of my inner housing notch tang's was broken off where the signal housing twist;s into and then the turn signal 3 screw's pull it up tight.i welded on metal tab and cut it for a notch. you should have a nylon washer fitting the inner tube that lay's into a round metal ring about 6 to 7 inches down column with a tab that is secured by a external screw on bottom of column. the inner tube slides though that and into the shifter housing. I made mine a little tighter also by shimming with a nylon seal from a pvc kitchen or bath fitting it fit perfect.If you need more help let me know.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
WCHLVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966shortwide View Post
On my column i bought was loose also . one {3 tang's total} of my inner housing notch tang's was broken off where the signal housing twist;s into and then the turn signal 3 screw's pull it up tight.i welded on metal tab and cut it for a notch. you should have a nylon washer fitting the inner tube that lay's into a round metal ring about 6 to 7 inches down column with a tab that is secured by a external screw on bottom of column. the inner tube slides though that and into the shifter housing. I made mine a little tighter also by shimming with a nylon seal from a pvc kitchen or bath fitting it fit perfect.If you need more help let me know.
Nailed it! There is only one "tang" and with all the movement I couldn't see where the others were broken. If you happen to have pics/more details, that would be awesome. Seems simple enough!

Thanks a ton!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
1966shortwide

Quote:
Nailed it! There is only one "tang" and with all the movement I couldn't see where the others were broken. If you happen to have pics/more details, that would be awesome. Seems simple enough!

Thanks a ton!
Don't have mine apart at this time , but if you remove everything and place your signal housing over the top side of the outer housing and twist in make sure your signal housing is oriented correct ,lever hole for signal is on left side in the middle, the slot's in the signal housing will show where tang's are missing. It is kind of tedious to weld metal on and recut tang's being's you have two broken off, and you have to make sure tang's are correct depth and height , so sig housing set's straight.Might be easier to find a housing , i don't know if a standard shift housing is the same.If same , they are are more abundant to find. good luck, glad i could help!!!!!
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
WCHLVR

Thanks again for all the info. Time to dive back in and sort out the mess! LOL
Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Automatic Steering Column Issues

Quote:
Thanks again for all the info. Time to dive back in and sort out the mess! LOL
I think others will agree: seems it is time to invest in a "new" column--a tilt column from a donor with auto trans. Will take a bit of fiddling to adjust for shifting the simpler p-glide, but would make an enjoyable upgrade. Also, may be simpler in the long run than welding/fitting the missing 2 out of the 3 tangs, and re-building the original.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
1966shortwide

I guess if you have $400.00 to $800.00 dollar's laying around { and i could buy one too}, but i repaired mine and replaced the lower bearing with new ball bearing's and welded the tang all for a whopping $5.00 . I will have to buy a turn signal switch around $ 65.00 I enjoy the challenge of repairing and making it work, and i prefer to keep the stock column look.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
WCHLVR

Thanks Sam. Like Shortwide suggested, as a fabricator I too prefer fixing my own parts when applicable. Now that I where the issue lies it should be fairly simple to correct.

Good looking out though!