The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Suburban_Tyler

2wd vs 4wd ride height

I'm not finding the exact info I'm looking for. What is the difference in ride height between 2wd vs 4wd? The reason I ask is because I am going to lift my 2wd suburban using the 4" lift spindles from an 88-98 c1500 and lower control arms from a 3/4-1 ton 73-87. It has a broken main leaf around one of the bushings, so leaf springs are a must. I don't think I can just buy a 4" lift spring for a 4wd and expect it to sit level. I think it would be to tall in the rear. Since gm didn't use lift blocks in the 4wd, the 4wd springs must have a little more arch. According to LMC none of the part numbers match between 2wd vs 4wd. What my thoughts are is to get a 2.5" lift spring for a 4wd. I'm trying to avoid using a lift block, or at least not much of one.
Suburban_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
79Betty

Re: 2wd vs 4wd ride height

I have 4" lift all the way around n it's pretty level. Not perfect but all wheel wells are within 1.5 inches of another. If the back is too high that's just a reason to lift the front more right?
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Suburban_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
I have 4" lift all the way around n it's pretty level. Not perfect but all wheel wells are within 1.5 inches of another. If the back is too high that's just a reason to lift the front more right?
You have a 2wd with 4" of lift all the way around?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Tyler View Post
Since gm didn't use lift blocks in the 4wd, the 4wd springs must have a little more arch.
The spring hangers account for quite a bit of the ride height difference between a 2wd & 4wd. The 2wd spring hangers tuck the springs up closer to the frame than the 4wd hangers.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
79Betty

No it's a 4x4... And i agree onthe 2wd vs 4x4 hanger... Why not lift the front, notice the differenve in front to back. Then lift back to equal the difference?
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Suburban_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
The spring hangers account for quite a bit of the ride height difference between a 2wd & 4wd. The 2wd spring hangers tuck the springs up closer to the frame than the 4wd hangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
No it's a 4x4... And i agree onthe 2wd vs 4x4 hanger... Why not lift the front, notice the differenve in front to back. Then lift back to equal the difference?

I will look a little closer at the hangers between the two. I was figuring the 4wd springs would have more arch. I don't see any 2wd lift springs for sale. 4wd would be my most practical option. If I lift the front 4" I don't want to buy a 4" lift spring for a 4wd and it actually lift my 2wd 7". If the hangers are the biggest difference, then a 4" spring should set me close. If anybody has any pictures of 1/2 ton 4wd hangers I'd like to see.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Tyler View Post
If anybody has any pictures of 1/2 ton 4wd hangers I'd like to see.
Here's a pic of Dad's 77 back during the restoration that gives a pretty good view of the stock 1/2 ton 4wd spring hangers. The springs are replacements that should be pretty close to stock arch and ride height.

And here's what the ride height with those springs looks like with the bed back on the truck:

ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Like Ray stated the spring hangers are the biggest difference on a stock height leaf spring set up on these chevy trucks. 2wd hangers are shorter than 4wd ones. You could just do a shackle flip and get your height in the rear and leave your rear springs alone.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Suburban_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Here's a pic of Dad's 77 back during the restoration that gives a pretty good view of the stock 1/2 ton 4wd spring hangers. The springs are replacements that should be pretty close to stock arch and ride height.

And here's what the ride height with those springs looks like with the bed back on the truck:

I see the difference now between the hangers. I guess I never paid that much attention to them. Mine are definitely tucked closer to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Like Ray stated the spring hangers are the biggest difference on a stock height leaf spring set up on these chevy trucks. 2wd hangers are shorter than 4wd ones. You could just do a shackle flip and get your height in the rear and leave your rear springs alone.
I would do a shackle flip kit but one of my springs is broken half way around an eye for the bushing.