The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: Hankook vs Michelin for daily driver

Michelins , I have them on everything I own , How long have Hankook's even been around ? I really don't know anything about them . Why buy something different when you already know what the best tire is ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
70CHEVYBB

I have been installing hankook's at my shop for 15 years, I would not use any other tire. I would use the 727xl's or the rh12xl's. I put a set of rh12's on my 72 and love them. I sell the 727xl's for 110 each and the rh12xl's for 123 each. Xl = extra load
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
Grumpy old man

Are they 10 ply tires ?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
tsetsaf

Both are nice tires. I would go with the Hankooks for the single reason that the ms2 with their tread width and sipes grab and chuck every stone and pebble they can. Have them on my Dodge and they have chipped the paint all along the wheel wells.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
Sicklajoie
The Niner

The reason for the price difference is that the Hankooks are not a true truck tire. The Michelins have an LT designation (Load range E is 10 ply)while the Hankooks are P-Metric, which is a passenger car tire. The Load Range XL is still a 4 ply tire, but you can run more air pressure for heavier loads.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
coueshunter

These are not much of a truck! You don't need a 10 ply tire
coueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
hamjet

No experience here with michelins, (too much money for my blood) I can afford Hankooks, which I did get in white wall for my 69. I'm sure they'll do me just fine, The "tire safety police" will make sure I'll be safe using any tires available to the public. I'm not too worried about breaking any 200 mph speed records any time soon, and I'm not planning on putting 2 or 3 tons in the back of my 1/2 ton pickumup truck. yea, it would be nice to see a nice high dollar name on the sidewall, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.......
Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Mike C

Having what seems like 42 cars to put tires on, I'm always looking for a good tire for a good price. Hankook seems to be that tire. Bought a set of the MT's that I put on my '44 jeep. They have been an excellent tire so far. I bought some Ventus for my '69 short step and they are mounted. (275 55 17 for the back and 235 55 17 for the front) although not yet on the truck. (need to do disc brake swap and rear axle swap to 5 lug).

On my '95 BMW 325is and my wife's 2003 325i sport sedan I put Michelin's at the same time. Worst tire I think I have ever owned. Went to Dunlop's and Kumho's and have been happy with that.

Had Michelin LTX (C rated) on my '70 GMC big block and it was a great tire. But I don't think that they are worth the premium they charge anymore. Your mileage may vary....
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #34
jks67ss396

well, i found another shop that will do the michelins for just over 600. so the price difference is only 200 bucks now. keep the reviews coming

thanks guys
jks67ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
Grumpy old man

I think we're comparing apples to bananas here and there are many choices depending on what your truck is used for and the look you may be seeking . that being said on my daily driver 1995 GMC 3/4 ton Z-71 5.7 4l60 truck it has to work for a living hauling just about everything and most times heavy trailers or building supplies and I need not just good but GREAT tires and my choice are the Michelins . How would a discount tire handle hauling 2 pallets of bricks ?[/IMG]
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
Grumpy old man

http://
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
motorcritter

The Hankook's are a good tire for the money. That being said, Michelin makes a quality product, I've had good experiences with them over the years. I put Hankook's on my old diesel Benz sedan, only because it's hard to find whitewall 14" tires, the cheapo Chinese ones are all blackwall, and I like the look on the old Benz. The Michelin LTX in XL is a good choice for these trucks, good wear and handling. I would also consider Firestone Destination LE's, also in XL. Cheaper, but overall a good choice. Kumho's aren't worth mounting- I worked for a tire retailer that sold them (as their 'economy' choice)- a lot of them came back with pissed-off customers. We called them (the tires) two words that sound like the original name, but described them perfectly.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
greentruck

Just my .02. The company I worked for leased 10 4x4 F-150's for bridge construction projects in mountainous terrain. These trucks were equipped with Hankook tires and were worked very hard. The tires were shot out completely on all trucks between 20,000 and 30,000 miles. Our lease manager filed a claim with the Ford leasing company and was partially compensated for replacement tires. That was in 2007. My other experience with Hankook's was just a month ago. My girlfriends 2011 VW Jetta came with Hankook's from the factory. They were replaced at 40,000 miles. The sidewalls were showing signs of dry rot cracking. I would pony up the extra $200 for a far superior tire. Once again, just my .02.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #39
Joe Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks67ss396 View Post
Guys

Im setting up my 71 C10 to be a daily driver. I do drive quite a bit of freeway miles.

Im looking at the Hankook Optimo H724 for 400 out the door (set of 4, installed) vs Michelin LTX MS/2 for 710 out the door (set of 4, installed)

both claim 70K mile warranty

Are the Michelins really worth the extra 310 bucks?

thoughts/opinions?

thanks
I have had them both...the Hankooks were the worst tires I ever purchased...I always by the big M but its really a matter of how long your plan on keeping the truck......the M's are much quieter than the H tires..no comparison.......
Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #40
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
I run Michelins on everything I drive. They're worth the extra money. They wear like hockey pucks, but with the soft sidewalls they ride great.
Ditto! I'd even put some on my lawn mower, if I could find them.

To me; "There's Michelins" and then, "They're s something less".
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #41
Joe Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Ditto! I'd even put some on my lawn mower, if I could find them.

To me; "There's Michelins" and then, "They're s something less".
So I told a friend not to buy the Hankooks.......he purchased on price. He made the purchase a year ago and has about 15k......I will now quote him:

"Joe I should have listed to you..............listen to the tires rumbling"

They were noisey noisey noisey........If I had not rode in his small suv I would not even believed how bad a tire can get after only 15k. He said they were not like that when purchased..........as far as I am concerned the noise level and wear should be consistent thruout the tire life........you may gain a small small amount of noise ,but thats it......
Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #42
Grumpy old man

I rotate my tires faithfully at about 5,000 miles and the last set of Michelins went 90,000 miles and still had drivable tread , But I buy 10 ply tires for the load capacity and even when loaded they don't "squat or bulge" at the side wall .
Old 12-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #43
BarryB

I have Michelin's on my Family movers. Sure they are expensive up front, but when your getting twice if not not 3 times the wear out of them. Your really coming out ahead. I bought a set of Hankook tires one time. they weren't the mileage Plus tire but were supposed to be 60K tire. They didn't last 20K I put a set of michelins on the same car, got 80k out them and still had of tread left. So I am a Michelin man now. Except on my hot rods, because my rear tires wear out so much faster.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
Joe Cool

No more true is the saying " you get what you pay for" especially when it comes to tires...

I know some people cannot afford them. But if your going to drive 90k or more with the same car/truck.........you cannot afford to "not buy them"

Or you could buying two sets of tires or even more......for what the M's cost its a cheap deal.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
JeffD72

I've never owned the Hankooks, but I agree with most everyone regarding the Michelins. I have had two sets of the LTX tires, one set on a Tahoe and the other on a Z-71. Both lasted over 85k great ride and the quitest tire I have ever owned. If you plan to keep your truck or car, Michelins are the way to go.
JeffD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #46
Sicklajoie
The Niner

So what did you end up getting?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #47
russellmarling

I sell a ton of tires at my shop every day. I live in the mountains, and these curvy roads eat up tires. There is really no comparison between these tires- the Hankook is a low cost budget quality tire, and the Michelin is a high quality tire, so it costs more. Most of the Michelins I sell will last almost twice as long as a set of Hankooks will (regardless of the listed treadwear rating) The LTX MS2 is simply the best tire you can put on your truck. Something to consider though- I wouldn't recommend the Michelins for something that isn't driven much, because they will likely dry rot before they wear out (motorhomes are usually a great example of this), so it doesn't make sense to spend the extra money in that situation.
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #48
twouvakind

Not to hijack this thread but compare Cooper tires too. They make a nice RWL tire.
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
jks67ss396

havent got them yet, but i ordered the michelins. for 200 bucks difference, it was kinda hard to pass on them. i hope that i do get more than 70k out of them.

thanks for all your votes guys!
jks67ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #50
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks67ss396 View Post
havent got them yet, but i ordered the michelins. for 200 bucks difference, it was kinda hard to pass on them. i hope that i do get more than 70k out of them.

thanks for all your votes guys!
Great choice. You won't regret it.
Post some pics when you have them mounted.