The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

New Year Project, with questions

Just picked up this Carolina farm fresh 68 c-10, 1 owner 93k miles, in great shape, has the 6banger with 3 on the tree, wood bed. After being on the 60-66 forum for years I am new to the 67-72, but love all chevy trucks. I have a few questions -would like to toss the column shift and find a conversion for a trans with 4-5 speeds in the floor, what is the easiest swap. also do the 6 lug toyota wheels fit these trucks??
Attached Images

brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: New Year Project, with questions

side pic. shows wheel choices, should I go stock wheels-rear or the chevy rally -front. I've found a nice set of 6 lug 17" Toyota wheels I would like to use if they will work.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
67swb72klb

looks like a good project! are those buddy buckets?
those wheels should fit just fine
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
side pic. shows wheel choices, should I go stock wheels-rear or the chevy rally -front. I've found a nice set of 6 lug 17" Toyota wheels I would like to use if they will work.
The toyota wheels will work, but some use spacers since they have too much backspacing.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Nice truck. Are those Clifford headers?
Tranny choices could be SM465 [stock 4-on-floor], S/10 Borg Warner T-5, Richmond 6-speed stick, NV-4500 [? something] ; or go automatic: TH350, TH700-R4, TH200-4R, etc. There's also a Chrysler-Dodge/GM collaboration, the A833, a 4-speed stick with overdrive. Hard to find, though. There are a lot more choices, but that's all I can think of, offhand.
The 465 would be easiest. My '68 C/10 w/292 L6 came from the factory with one. [Also w/factory 17.5" rims.] You will need a ''high'' hump panel. Not sure if you need to modify driveshaft length.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
67ctener

That's an awesome trucks with a lot of potential. Start a build thread when you get started and happy new year
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
hugger6933

Wow You got the factory tach, I hear that is really rare in a six truck. I have a 70 model That I'm doing a Camaro/S-10 T5 hybird trans to put in my truck.I am using the Camaro trans with the tail and top of the S trans to make it better suited as far as the shifter location. I also took a van tilt and shaved the "bumps" off of it to make it smooth looking like a factory floor shift tilt to install it is real nice as well. I think that may be a good way to go on a project. Look in the tech section located in the home page go to the upper left hand corner of the page and then click tech section then the body style you can find it there. Also look in the FAQ section there is some stuff there as well that you should look through
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
chvtrkman

I transplanted a GM MY6 (GM version of the Mopar A-833 that was mentioned by 68OrangeSunshine) in my 69 C-20...Easy bolt in swap for the Saginaw 3 spd it came with.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
brawley
Easy Does It

Thanks for the response...Good to know about the Toyoya wheels , I found a good deal for 4 with tires.. stock bench seat, has factory tach...the inline six was recently rebuilt..Comp cam... has Hedman headers, so im thinking about keeping it-- dont see too many around anymore.. thinking about dual carb. set up..im gonna keep the body stock since its in such good shape.. and go thru everything else..
Old 01-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Homebuilt Hotrods

Sweet truck!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Thanks for the response...Good to know about the Toyoya wheels , I found a good deal for 4 with tires.. stock bench seat, has factory tach...the inline six was recently rebuilt..Comp cam... has Hedman headers, so im thinking about keeping it-- dont see too many around anymore.. thinking about dual carb. set up..im gonna keep the body stock since its in such good shape.. and go thru everything else..
I have Hedman 'hedders' on my V8 350 in a '71 GMC Jimmy K/1500 -- they're OK.
On my 292 L6 in the '68 Stepside, I have an Offy intake w/ a 4 barrel Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM and Clifford 'Research' headers. Yours look like mine.
Both Offenhauser and Clifford make 2- and 3-carb intakes. Personally, 1 carb is as much as I want to mess with.

Look up Tom Langdon's shop:
www.stoveboltengineco.com

I'm not sure how well I remember, but it's possible the shorter ['67 -and earlier] SM420 is the same length as the Saginaw 3OTT.

Oh yeah, And Welcome to the New Breed!

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Here is a picture of my 292...600 CFM Edelbrock 1405, Clifford intake and short tube headers...Offey sells intakes for 1 2 or 3 carbs setups....I prefer the Clifford because the water heating system is alot easier to hook up. Nice truck to! By the way....what 6 banger is that?? 230-250 or 292???
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
brawley
Easy Does It

the engine is a 250, it hesitates real bad from a dead stop boggs down when I rev it up when its cold. .I think it could use a nicer carb. Those clifford intakes look good. that GM MY6 or A833 trans. you mentioned, what vehicles could I find one in?? there is a junkyard not too far from me. I might just get a hurst shifter floor mount kit and keep the 3 speed for now, its got a new clutch.. thanks for all the info.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
HeavyD

If it were mine and I was keeping the 6 lug, I would get a set of chrome reverse or smoothies or whatever they are called now. Just another suggestion to think about. Nice truck!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
Leroy-B1

Nice truck where in North Carolina are you?
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

I'm afraid you now know as much as I do about the mysterious GM MY6 - Mopar A833 transmission. To me they've always been legendary, but invisible. CHEVTRKMAN knows 100% more than I do, since he's already got one.
I've been running my Offy intake without carb heat since 1978. I live in a desert. It's been highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s in December and early January here. but people who live further North seem to need them.
Note about
stoveboltengineco.com
Dropping the 'www' seems to connect better. No clue why.
Another note about the Clifford vs. Offenhauser intakes: The Clifford intake runs better at higher RPM with a loss of torque, while the Offy intake runs best at lower RPMs with a lot of torque. For a truck in a real world truck mission profile, the Offy is better IMO. If your truck is a stand-in for the Corvette you really wanted then run the Clifford.

TJ: Cool looking engine.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
brawley
Easy Does It

LOL, only so much you can do with wife and 2 kids...yeah I contacted guy at stovebolt, thanks for the link..he suggested intake heat...it get cold here if the 20's are cold to ya. I have the original 1 bl. carb though...thinking dual carb set up would look cool, but wonder about tuning issues..maybe Holley 390 or Edlebrook 500 would be better?? Offy or Clifford intake.. he said my Hedman headers were junk..but thats what I have to work with. Just looking for the best combo for performance without breaking the bank. Im in Mooresville- Leroy
Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

I had a Holley 4160 R8007 390 CFM 4-Bbl on top of my Offy intake and Clifford headers since I got the high performance stuff in 1978. The Holley ran for 250,000 miles in 25 years, somewhat tempermentally. When I rebuilt in 2005, the Holley would not set up right, after the 500 mile break-in period. Someone suggested I needed a new throttle body base for it, but the price was now so high, a new Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM AFB-clone was the better deal. I'm much happier with the Eddy. The AFB design is a lot easier to deal with and I don't have to replace a power valve every time it hiccups.
I don't know if Headman hedders are any worse than the Clifford headers, they are copied from. Stovebolt Engine Co is pushing their Fenton-copied Cast Iron headers. My Clifford headers are the same ones I bought in '78, but I've had them beefed up over the years.
I spent some time at Cherry Point, when I was in the service. Mostly, I hung out at Morehead Beach, when off duty, diving. I grew up in Chicago, but North Carolina seemed too cold in the winter.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
Elliot949

Quote:
Personally I would NEVER stick a Toyota wheel on one of these trucks (but it is your truck and Your choice)... A nice set of the rally's is always a good choice...
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #20
Graham57a

Leroy, beautiful little truck you have there!! Where'd you find that thing?!? I used to live in mooresville and my parents still do, my dad has been searching forever for a patina swb 67 with no luck. If you ever get bored with it let me know
Graham57a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #21
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
the engine is a 250, it hesitates real bad from a dead stop boggs down when I rev it up when its cold. .I think it could use a nicer carb. Those clifford intakes look good. that GM MY6 or A833 trans. you mentioned, what vehicles could I find one in?? there is a junkyard not too far from me. I might just get a hurst shifter floor mount kit and keep the 3 speed for now, its got a new clutch.. thanks for all the info.
Well...Not to argue with 68OrangeSunshine...But I think different on the offey and Clifford intake....when I installed the Clifford intake I didn't notice an RPM change so to speak, I do know that the Clifford out flows the offy do to the bigger and rounder design. Everybody that I know that own a Clifford intake have no complaints. There was a thread on the 60-66 chevy trucks forum that was dealing with a new issue found on the offy intake. Something to do with plugs on the bottom of the intake leaking fuel....been awhile since I read it. Don't get me wrong, both intakes perform well and have killer looks....I bought the Clifford because I trying to get as much flow as possible. Also cause I am converting to a lump port head and messing with the cam and bore and ect....anyhow a performance rebuild. A 500 CFM Edelbrock will perform well on your 250 as long as you do some head work and a mild cam, and some boring out as well as an hei. My 292 runs rich as heck with the out of box 1405 Edelbrock, and I have an hei, but not a very good one. Good heis are MSD, DUI, and GM HEI'S. I am running a pertronix which I do NOT recommend. But since your motor is stock, A two barrel or 390 Holley will be as large as you want to go. When and IF you do some head and bottom end work a bigger carb will be fine. Tom Langdon will say the same basic things I am saying. He might say different on the intakes....but personally I don't think the INTAKE makes much off a difference. Both have been used and I am sure many will tell you it doesn't make much difference on which one you use. But if you need more info, don't hesitate to ask. lol. We all will give slightly different answers do to experience with certain parts. But a book I would recommend purchasing is this......T.J.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, since I never ran the Clifford intake, I can't knock it in all fairness. I was repeating what I've heard on a few boards. I still am running the same Clifford "Research" long tube headers I bought in '78, so I have tremendous respect for Jack and his legacy. I have never had a fuel leak from my Offy intake, I don't think my '78 model even has those plugs, but I will have to double check.

X2 on the Santucci book. I have the first edition. I met Leo at a car show once, a really nice guy.

My 292 is bored .030 over, with a Crane 260H cam, 1.84 intake valves.

I've stated my position on the Holley 390, but maybe they've gotten around the popping power valve problem. Too bad nobody still makes a 400 CFM AFB.

I have the Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II coil, and think they're a lot better than HEI [which I have on the 350 V8 in my '71 Jimmy.]

Old 01-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Well, since I never ran the Clifford intake, I can't knock it in all fairness. I was repeating what I've heard on a few boards. I still am running the same Clifford "Research" long tube headers I bought in '78, so I have tremendous respect for Jack and his legacy. I have never had a fuel leak from my Offy intake, I don't think my '78 model even has those plugs, but I will have to double check.

X2 on the Santucci book. I have the first edition. I met Leo at a car show once, a really nice guy.

My 292 is bored .030 over, with a Crane 260H cam, 1.84 intake valves.

I've stated my position on the Holley 390, but maybe they've gotten around the popping power valve problem. Too bad nobody still makes a 400 CFM AFB.

I have the Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II coil, and think they're a lot better than HEI [which I have on the 350 V8 in my '71 Jimmy.]
It's funny...we've been having different experiences. lol! I bought my pertronix from Napa...and Dan(a cashier) told me before I ordered it that the one he bought died on him not long after he bought his....but I can say so far I haven't had issues with mine. I don't think holley has gotten over the power valve issues...I had a 350 two barrel holley and I am sure I blew the power valves...but after I blew the valves the carb actually performed better. LOL! But your right on the Edelbrocks. They are a very nice carb. I have Clifford short tube headers on mine. They have worked fine so far..course I haven't put a TON of miles on them either. 68OrangeSunshine...Do you have an estimate on hp and torque on your 6 banger? Looks good as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #24
'68OrangeSunshine

I don't have access to any means of measuring that kind of specs, but I can say that as an old seat-of-the-pants barnstormer, a built 292 sure kicks ass on a stock crate post-NAFTA V8 SBC, even if both have similar relative equipment: AFBs, upgrade electronic ignition, headers and aluminum intakes.
Off hand modest guess: if it was 190 HP stock, with upgrades at least 220 HP. I know it's torque-ier than a 454.
In any case Six is Greater than Eight in my Universe.

I'm divided on whether I put a '63 [so 'farm fresh' it's still green ] 292 in a '67 K/10 Suburban or make a technical dirt rat out of a '72 Blazer tub and a shed full of various doghouse parts first. But we digress.

Some Pertronix facts: the Pertronix Ignitor had the tendency to burn out when the key was left in Ignition-On -- especially on the '67s which have no "ACC" position. The later Ignitor II [and proprietary peripheral 'Flamethrower II' coil] has a safety cut-out so it will shut off if left on. The new <<Ignitor [maybe a V8-only thing] III>> is supposed to be a multispark kinda unit like an MSD all inside your little stock points looking distributor. A friend has one and swears by it but then he drives a 429 V8 '72 Ford F250, so how can anyone believe him? I mean, it's even a fleetside!

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-05-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #25
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I don't have access to any means of measuring that kind of specs, but I can say that as an old seat-of-the-pants barnstormer, a built 292 sure kicks ass on a stock crate post-NAFTA V8 SBC, even if both have similar relative equipment: AFBs, upgrade electronic ignition, headers and aluminum intakes.
Off hand modest guess: if it was 190 HP stock, with upgrades at least 220 HP. I know it's torque-ier than a 454.
In any case Six is Greater than Eight in my Universe.

I'm divided on whether I put a '63 [so 'farm fresh' it's still green ] 292 in a '67 K/10 Suburban or make a technical dirt rat out of a '72 Blazer tub and a shed full of various doghouse parts first. But we digress.

Some Pertronix facts: the Pertronix Ignitor had the tendency to burn out when the key was left in Ignition-On -- especially on the '67s which have no "ACC" position. The later Ignitor II [and proprietary peripheral 'Flamethrower II' coil] has a safety cut-out so it will shut off if left on. The new <<Ignitor [maybe a V8-only thing] III>> is supposed to be a multispark kinda unit like an MSD all inside your little stock points looking distributor. A friend has one and swears by it but then he drives a 429 V8 '72 Ford F250, so how can anyone believe him? I mean, it's even a fleetside!
LOL! Yeah F$%D guys are hard to believe. Anyhow, Yeah I know about the Pertronix Ignitor II and the safety shut off, I was considering an Ignitor II and Flamethrower II just for the higher voltage....I mean...40,000 is enough....but...45,000 sounds better. LOL! One distributor I am considering is a Davis Unified Ignition....It's based on the OEM GM HEI, But puts out 50,000 volts and I have talked to experts on them and so far they have not had issues with it. I will say one thing is that these dang things are spendy! Something like $300 for the DUI, and I think the Ignitor II is $130 and $40 for the Flamethrower, MSD is around $500. Yeah, Ignitor III is for V8's only as far as I know.