The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
*71SWB*

Once again ... Need Help

Ok the truck is still a 71 SWB. At least for now cause I may have to blow it up. Lol. When u drive it, it sounds like a window is open. So I taped the door and drive it and it stopped. I have replaced all rubber seals, vent windows are new, and everything else but the darn doors themselves. The lines of the truck line up and it still sounds like the window is down. Even put sound deadening in. Any idea why this is happening ? It's driving me crazy....
*71SWB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
westong

Re: Once again ... Need Help

Tape off sections of the door till you find the area leaking air thru. Then get creative, figure out if its pinching the seal because its to tight...if so i have had good luck with putting a towel in the door jam and shutting the door to help space the gap aliitle better. It will mold the metal alittle and push it out. If its because its not tight enough i have someone get on the inside and hold the door open while i push on yhe window frame rail. Aliitle red neck i know...but seems to work on these old trucks...
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
68bowtie

i suppose you could put a bead of something that will wash off easily on the rubber all the way around, then close the door. when you open it look the spot(s) that didn't transfer to the door.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
motorcritter

The '71 has those nice car-style door panels. A layer of clear sheeting between the door panel and door, like many cars do, might help to deaden the sound. Wind noise from the mirrors can be amplified by that big hollow metal door, and get pretty annoying. Westsong, that shop towel fulcrum or brute force tweaking of the window frame was the procedure Honda recommended to resolve wind noise complaints from poor seal fit, back when I worked for them. I've used it with many other vehicles.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Sammy

I would think you can ID the problem area on your door by using a manila folder and closing the door with it sticking through the door checking for the amount of resistance in different places and pulling from either the inside or outside of the door jam. Then concentrate on a fix.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
*71SWB*

Thank you all for the help.
*71SWB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcritter View Post
The '71 has those nice car-style door panels. A layer of clear sheeting between the door panel and door, like many cars do, might help to deaden the sound. Wind noise from the mirrors can be amplified by that big hollow metal door, and get pretty annoying. Westsong, that shop towel fulcrum or brute force tweaking of the window frame was the procedure Honda recommended to resolve wind noise complaints from poor seal fit, back when I worked for them. I've used it with many other vehicles.
I think the "car-style door panels" where introduced in the 72 model.

Good luck to the OP in finding the leak. Perhaps new door seals??

regards
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote