The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
dodgiesdad

Aftermarket Air Condioning Help

I am certain this has been covered but as my kids say I am computer challenged. I am in the process of completely redoing my 65 K-10. I am doing the bodywork now, both outside and inside the cab. I will be adding Air Conditioning to this truck. I am leaning toward a "Old Air Hurricane system with electronic controls" and using pods instead of the underdash units, but would and am considering other kits as well.

Who has done this and would you recommend the company whose parts you used. I do not want a underdash unit I want to put 4 "pods" in the dash, I remember seeing pictures of someone else who did that, but now I cant find it, I am sure its here somewhere, just me being me. I want air, heat, and defrost. Suggestions on quality of "kits", bang for the buck and completeness would be appreciated.
dodgiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
brokenspoke

Re: Aftermarket Air Condioning Help

I used a Vintage Aire Gen IV.....check my past post for a pic of dash install
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have an Old Air Hurricaine and it is real nice, I wish I would have went with electronic controls tho.

Also I have seen the VA gen IV and it is top notch maybe even better than OA.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Leverhead

I'll vouch for Vintage Air. Just recently installed one in my 64 Chevelle. I went with the sure-fit kit (w/o compressor) using the stock controls conversion....but with a GM radial compressor on a serp belt system. The kit was complete, boxed and labeled intuitively, instructions and quality is good, and the price in competitive. Never had an issue with cust service either. Works well and blows nice and cold, but next time I would use bulkhead fittings at the firewall instead of running the supplied full length hoses thru their firewall plate to get from the evap under the dash to the front of the vehicle ....that way the hoses can be easily R&R'ed and crimped outside the engine bay. On another note, I thought the mounting hdw for the condenser was wimpy so I made my own. These are the only issues I have with the sure-fit. The Gen IV evap unit is large and takes a lot of under dash space and leaves little room for the glove box insert, and the hose routing was tight, but this can be true of any system. You can get their stuff ala carte and do a more custom install...which is the way I'll go for my 64 C10. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Also need to have good electrical and clean grounds for the hookups...the system works on a microprocessor and needs good clean adequate wiring to work correctly. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Leverhead; 01-05-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote