The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Dm1pfoy1

Rear Suspension Help

So was looking to tighten up rear on truck. Noticed from pics I have (truck in storage till white stuff goes) that I dont have tracking /panhard bar first is that a possibility? I have seen all the stuff of rear sways I cannot justify dropping 400 on muscle bar from ridetech. I want to know what are some good reasonably priced bars also what other options do I have? Can I add track bar? Is there a better option? Looking to do lil auto x not anything huge other than that a summer toy.

Thanks for help
Dm1pfoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: Rear Suspension Help

The truck must have a track bar of some sort from your build thread it looks to be a trailing arm set up and not leafs..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Hawghauler

You should have a pan hard bar from the factory. If your is missing, they're easy to find in wrecking yards. If you're lowered, you probably want to get an adjustable bar. You can easily make one as well if you have a welder. It only needs to be adjustable if you're changing ride heights often. If you are in the seattle area sometime, I'll give you my spare factory one. The only purpose of the pan hard bar is to keep the rearend centered in the truck. You should have a mount visible on the driver's side of the frame behind the rearend. You should also have a post sticking out of the rearend on the top passenger side of the diff cover. If you don't have these, someone has removed them. If so, you may have to go aftermarket to replace them, or get creative with a welder.
If you are lowered, another thing that's nice is to use an anti-sway bar on the back. I got one from a mid '80 Camaro. It just has to be smaller than the front one for best results. The Camaro ones are about 2" too wide for the frame so you have to use blocks from the frame to meet up with the vertical posts. I'm sure there are others that will fit, but these have been used before on our trucks, and you can find write ups on them in the forum.
Good luck.
Curtis

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawghauler View Post
You should have a pan hard bar from the factory. If your is missing, they're easy to find in wrecking yards. If you're lowered, you probably want to get an adjustable bar. You can easily make one as well if you have a welder. It only needs to be adjustable if you're changing ride heights often. If you are in the seattle area sometime, I'll give you my spare factory one. The only purpose of the pan hard bar is to keep the rearend centered in the truck. You should have a mount visible on the driver's side of the frame behind the rearend. You should also have a post sticking out of the rearend on the top passenger side of the diff cover. If you don't have these, someone has removed them. If so, you may have to go aftermarket to replace them, or get creative with a welder.
If you are lowered, another thing that's nice is to use an anti-sway bar on the back. I got one from a mid '80 Camaro. It just has to be smaller than the front one for best results. The Camaro ones are about 2" too wide for the frame so you have to use blocks from the frame to meet up with the vertical posts. I'm sure there are others that will fit, but these have been used before on our trucks, and you can find write ups on them in the forum.
Good luck.
Curtis
Thanks for info I will check it out to be sure and go from there.
Dm1pfoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote