The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #76
HeavyD

Re: New Trends...best guesses?

Like TX said, maybe the retro late 70s/80s mods will return somewhat. Awhile back in a HotRod article they made over their yellow "crusher" 67 Camaro with three different themes, and it was pretty cool. Centerlines vs aluminum slots, chrome 3 spoke steering wheels with the holes in them, gold anodized valve covers, etc.. Was pretty interesting since I remember seeing those styles on the early 80s magazines.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #77
prairewolf

... I see a Trend where the Menfolk put the truck they Really like in storage, focus on their Family life, and when that is All good they then start thinking about the truck again. ... somewhere in all of this they get rid of all the extra baggage that they don't/won't ever really use if they stop kidding themselves...(anyone need a footpeg/paperweight from an old Harley that I found on I-90) ......... and when all the dust settles, and the horse is in front of the cart again, they take the truck out of storage and bring the Interior to Stock 90% perfect and Exterior has a Patina Pro-Street look.

p.s ... I can actually live that trend .... thanks for helping me think it through, ... You guys/gals are awesome. ...........life is good.kent

p.ss. ... it may take awhile, but if/when I find that footpeg, it is Gone. .... I have only looked for 20 minutes so far

Last edited by prairewolf; 01-03-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: clarity.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #78
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
You notice there are no rubber bands on big three vehicles.
I think there will always be trends because people want to be on whatever is perceived to be cutting edge. Something's are timeless however.
The thing is,in reality,the only person on the cutting edge is the trend setter and the rest are followers. I could get into why I think people follow trends but that's another deeper topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
How much less could you care?
Hah hah...good catch. Uh...not any less 'cuz I don't care at all . I fixed it. Not sure why I typed it that way. I've always said "couldn't care less" because it says what I mean. People would correct me and I'd say to them what you just said to me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #79
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I remember in the 70's when customizers were cutting holes in everything to install those aftermarket sunroofs....oh...
I do remember the 70's and all those magazines, such as "Truckin". Guess what, so called "classic" 47 thru 72 Chevy trucks were rarely featured, almost like they never existed! A Cameo, or shortbed stepside here and there, but that was about it. The so called trend was to customize late model pickup trucks and vans with custom paint and add on trinkets. Most all the older pickups featured were the grand daddy of collector pickups, the 53-56 Fords, the first pickups to be customized by collectors. Nobody at that time was saying to buy up 67-72 desirable models or NOS parts for these trucks. Like then, and today, the current trends of the time do not phase me, I continue to appreciate an invest in original parts and unaltered original vehicles.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #80
dirtyjim

i would hope that the pro-touring trend gets even bigger with these types of trucks. with the advances being made in fuel injection and chassis'l design1000+hp and streetable is becoming a lot more common.

I'm still waiting on someone to show up on the power tour with a 1200hp ls c10 with full tube frame and transaxle in the back with the ac blowing cold. if I had the money it would already be in the works
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #81
Coley

I too agree with the new LS series drivetrains gaining popularity...even tho' they are not necessarily my target.
I think what needs to happen with those LS choices for me, I repeat...for me,...is that everything needed to buy, install, connect, start and tune...needs to get less complicated and a little more clear in terms of the needed entire package.
I'm pretty good with technology stuff but my classic truck pride prevents me from having to hire a guy with a laptop to come over and start up and troubleshoot my truck for me....I'd have to figure out to do it myself I guess....thats just me tho'.
I have run into guys who have the LS drivetrains...who are at the mercy of these travelling tuners and have gotten nervous when their trucks have shut down on them and they don't know where to start to get 'em going again. One guy I know who has had a couple of 'shut downs' and 'no starts' with his 5.3 LS said he is going to stick close to home for a year or so until his electronics settle down a bit...I have know idea what the issue is, nor does he...yet. I guess like all of us....you need to have confidence in your ride...that I get for sure.
Now, that said...there is a great skill to get up on for those looking to pick up a few bucks and make a few friends on the side.....ie: tuning and troubleshooting these things.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #82
Coley

Smile Re: New Trends...best guesses?

...here is something else that I figure is a trend....the term 'old school'.....what the heck?
I guess that means no aluminum heads, no LED's, no HEI's, no MP3's, no radial tires or modern rims,....or not?...tough one.
...guess you have to be careful what you ask for..LOL

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #83
special-K
Special Order

I'm old school and that means I still do it how I always have. Not a trend at all. Now if I went this way in the '70s,that way in the '80s,another way in the '90s,yet another in the '00s,and now want to go back because others are it would be a trend. And yes,that will always be a trend for the flip floppers because old school is classic...meaning always good.

Just look at hot rods. I never liked graphic paint jobs (purple,yellow,and checkered flag?...YUK!),billet,tweed,or fiberglass. I always dug the hot rods I fell in love with enough when I was a kid to always like them. There are plenty tried and true things to do to keep me busy the rest of my life.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #84
DGulliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm old school and that means I still do it how I always have. Not a trend at all. Now if I went this way in the '70s,that way in the '80s,another way in the '90s,yet another in the '00s,and now want to go back because others are it would be a trend. And yes,that will always be a trend for the flip floppers because old school is classic...meaning always good.

Just look at hot rods. I never liked graphic paint jobs (purple,yellow,and checkered flag?...YUK!),billet,tweed,or fiberglass. I always dug the hot rods I fell in love with enough when I was a kid to always like them. There are plenty tried and true things to do to keep me busy the rest of my life.
^ this.

I'm 50, and have read enough of my dad's car magazines, built/bought/sold enough cars and trucks to know what I like and what I think is cool. Anything done well is always interesting, but not always timeless. "Classic" just is, always.
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #85
Heavymetl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I too agree with the new LS series drivetrains gaining popularity...even tho' they are not necessarily my target.
I think what needs to happen with those LS choices for me, I repeat...for me,...is that everything needed to buy, install, connect, start and tune...needs to get less complicated and a little more clear in terms of the needed entire package.
I'm pretty good with technology stuff but my classic truck pride prevents me from having to hire a guy with a laptop to come over and start up and troubleshoot my truck for me....I'd have to figure out to do it myself I guess....thats just me tho'.
I have run into guys who have the LS drivetrains...who are at the mercy of these travelling tuners and have gotten nervous when their trucks have shut down on them and they don't know where to start to get 'em going again. One guy I know who has had a couple of 'shut downs' and 'no starts' with his 5.3 LS said he is going to stick close to home for a year or so until his electronics settle down a bit...I have know idea what the issue is, nor does he...yet. I guess like all of us....you need to have confidence in your ride...that I get for sure.
Now, that said...there is a great skill to get up on for those looking to pick up a few bucks and make a few friends on the side.....ie: tuning and troubleshooting these things.

All Good
Coley
I completely understand. The LS platform to the uninitiated is intimidating. But there's a reason the swap is everywhere and folks are making stupid power...it's just not that bad once you dig in and being to grasp how the system functions. We're all car builders, smart folks, and with a little time and effort you'll find it's not rocket science.

The beauty of the LS is in fact the simplicity. The 0411 PCM requires 5 switched 12V power sources (INJ 1, INJ 2, PCM/MAF, HO1, HO2) and 2 HOT BATT power (PCM, ALDL). That's it. The key is the ground. Neglect to properly ground things and the computer gets finicky in a hurry. I had trouble with my Camaro LS swap ALDL (data port) until I researched for 5 minutes and realized that the ground black/white on PIN 5 needed to be common with the PCM. Boom, no problem. There's an absolute WEALTH of knowledge out there on these things. Thanks to the internet...hot rodding with fuel injection is literally a few key strokes away.

Unfortunately you do need a "tuner" to de-activate the MIL lights/codes and basically clean up the PCM. Match the speedo output to gears, disable torque management, VATS, etc. And of course once you deviate from stock internal more tuning is required.
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #86
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
an AK in the back of an american truck? boo hisss. Gun racks are for hunting rifles and shotguns. And anyway youll be arrested for being a terrorist the first time a libtard sees your gun in the window. At least you would out here in lala land.

and Ill just put in my 2cents on camper shells. no.
AK for the shock factor simce i already have it.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #87
Eddie H.

I started in the 60's and have seen many things come and go. Back then, it was considered cool to take a 57 chevy, put a 401 nail head Buick motor in it, jack up the front end and put a straight front axle under it. After that, everybody started jacking up the back ends, putting fat tires under the back and skinny ones on the front. For a while, metal flake, shag carpet, phycedellic paint jobs and and flames were hot, then it was decals and glue on scoops. As for me and 67-72 trucks, I believe that the General got most things right on the first try and I like to keep mine close to original. When I go to a car show, however, I don't put anyone down for the way they build their rides. I have a great appreciation for the amount of dollars, blood, sweat and tears that goes into a project. Even the kids with their little rice burners with the big wings and big fart can exhaust are carrying on the hot rodding tradition, and are just as proud of their work as I am mine.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #88
dirtyjim

the 72 I drove in high school 20 years ago had a gunrack in the back window, my 67 still has the holes from a gunrack it had at one time. I've been considering putting one back in.
of course a classic truck should have a classic rifle or two in the rack so I would have to put my vintage lee speed 303 sporting rifle in the top and my pre-war british style 375 h&h oberndorf mauser sporting rifle on the bottom
Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #89
hamjet

The coolest thing to me and always has been is watching movies where they're out west somewhere driving down a dirt road in an old patina looking truck, bone stock, bouncing and rolling like the shocks are shot, road dust all over it, if I could get any truck, that would be it.. To me the patina "trend" is what I like most as long as its unmolested with stock wheels, nut covers, Stovebolt 6 with 3 OTT, COOOOL!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #90
BOZO
Old School

A trend I would like to see in the future is to use everything possible from a newer truck running gearwise and still keep the exterior close to stock or as TX firefighter mentioned, as a 70's/80's semicustom. Either adapt the late model running gear to the early frame or adapt the early body work to a late frame. Utilize the ABS and other safety items not currently used and 20" wheels are OK but just a little more meat on them. Frankenstein truck (4 wheel steer) from Memphis is a fine example of this craftmanship.
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #91
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I'd like to see tilt noses. Seems there were a few in the 80's and then none. I'd love to do this on my K10.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #92
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
And yes I agree, if your going to put a gun in that gun rack it needs to be a hunting rifle or a shotgun, no AK47 or AR15, keep it authentic, period correct for the time it was.
The AR-15 was designed by Armalite in 1957 for the military and modified by Colt for civilian use in 1963....how is that not authentic? or period correct?

Not to say that having one in the window is a good idea though......It just screams "break in and steal me".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #93
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I think big trucks will become more popular like Keith said.

I also see a growth in "nerdy" trucks. By that I mean skinny wheels, mild lowering, maybe full wheel covers. Less cut bed floors, less air bags, less giant Connestoga wagon sized wheels, less shaved firewalls, less billet everything.

You guys will scoff, but this is coming, I guarantee it.....retro trucks. Old style mags, raked stance, M/T valve covers, STP decals, chrome exhaust tips, gun racks. Mark my words.

Old trucks are beautiful. Firewall heater boxes can be made pretty. The dashes were absolutely perfect as GM designed them. Trim looks good on the body. Stock bench seats are great. That's stuff is kind of novel compared to modern trucks. Folks will want to keep that novelty as these trucks get more rare.
That is exactly how I feel.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #94
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The AR-15 was designed by Armalite in 1957 for the military and modified by Colt for civilian use in 1963....how is that not authentic? or period correct?

Not to say that having one in the window is a good idea though......It just screams "break in and steal me".
What I am saying is that back in 76' when we were driving around in our trucks in Eastern NM, nobody I knew was carrying an AR-15 or Armalite/Colt in their gun racks. We all grew up on farms & ranches & worked in the oil fields and only carried shotguns, deer rifles & .22's. That is authentic & period correct for me at the time. And nowdays, "no" I wouldn't carry any type of weapon in a gun rack in my truck either. I agree, it does scream "break in and take me".
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #95
PNWchevrolet

Here is a guess:

what's in -

#1 low budget builds

just like the hot rod movement, young and old builders alike can scrap together a c10. the one with the most used, innovative and unusual parts wins.

#2 original trucks

original paint, original panels, original metal, enough said.

#4 preserved working trucks

tow trucks, military trucks, race trucks with work history, race history and provenance will increase in value.

#5 period correct performance

trucks period correct hot rod parts, from drag to off-road trucks

#6 campers!

cool huh, fully restored, these will go for big bucks, think hipsters nerds with tech money looking for something to see the lay of the land and look cool at the same time

what's out -

#1 fake shop trucks

everyone knows 90% of these are not vintage shop trucks. time to get rid of the logo

#3 cheap rat rods

maybe you painted your truck flat black and red or flat black and green to save money on a paint job. people would rather see the old patina, keep it.

#4 80's style gloss paint and fancy polished billet

this style says you have lots of money but little imagination

#6 digital gauges

why? please don't do this!

FYI - these are just fun opinions. if you have any of the what's out styles, don't worry, i just made up these opinions for fun and my opinion doesn't really matter. your's does and besides, what is out of style today will be in style again.
PNWchevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #96
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWchevrolet View Post
Here is a guess:

what's in -

#1 low budget builds

just like the hot rod movement, young and old builders alike can scrap together a c10. the one with the most used, innovative and unusual parts wins.

#2 original trucks

tow trucks, military trucks, race trucks with work history, race history and provenance will increase in value.

#6 campers!

cool huh, fully restored, these will go for big bucks, think hipsters nerds with tech money looking for something to see the lay of the land and look cool at the same time

what's out -

#1 fake shop trucks

everyone knows 90% of these are not vintage shop trucks. time to get rid of the logo

#3 cheap rat rods

maybe you painted your truck flat black and red or flat black and green to save money on a paint job. people would rather see the old patina, keep it.

#6 digital gauges

FYI - these are just fun opinions. if you have any of the what's out styles, don't worry, i just made up these opinions for fun and my opinion doesn't really matter. your's does and besides, what is out of style today will be in style again.
That couldn't been said any better. I'm hoping your on the right track with that because that's what mine is; a low budget build original truck. Although I still like the LS1 conversions with modern drivetrain, 4 disc brakes, 6 speed auto trans, the pro-touring look/stance. I know it's been a trend for sometime now but its just a nice look and they drive nice that way too. It's just my pockets are not deep enough for that look. So that's why I am going for that original low budget build & make it a nice driver & reliable.
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #97
Molberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWchevrolet View Post
Here is a guess:

what's in -

#1 low budget builds

#2 original trucks

#6 campers!

what's out -

#1 fake shop trucks

#3 cheap rat rods

#6 digital gauges

Lol!! ... and thats when the fight started

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote