The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
jayoldschool

Re: temp light

Now that I think of it, I think my connecter is melted, not the sender. That's why I had a hard time finding the part. Truck's under snow right now.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
jtrichard

should not be hard to find that plug/connecter as it was used in 163 different GM and Dodge models from 62 to 70
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
Mike Wessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichard View Post
should not be hard to find that plug/connecter as it was used in 163 different GM and Dodge models from 62 to 70
I have been doing a lot of web searching, and cannot seem to find it yet. Other than cutting one out of a wrecking yard, any suggestions/links would be appreciated. Mine is not melted, just loose. I have new connectors to "rebuild" it, but a new one would be even better.

And boo on FedEx. I got a text from Amazon that "an attempt had been made to deliver my package", but I was at the house outside working on projects all day, and no FedEx vehicle made any attempt. I think it got late and the driver was ready to go home.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
Mike Wessinger

Part arrived today. Quick change and now for the first time since I have had the truck I fired it up and had a green light on the dash. The hot light did not come on during start up (oil and gen lights do however). But I know now I have a functioning sensor and will worry about the start up "test" down the road. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #30
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wessinger View Post
Part arrived today. Quick change and now for the first time since I have had the truck I fired it up and had a green light on the dash. The hot light did not come on during start up (oil and gen lights do however). But I know now I have a functioning sensor and will worry about the start up "test" down the road. Thanks for all the help.
the hot light will not come on when held to start because the sender is not gounded in the hot mode when cold
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #31
ncoonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
the hot light will not come on when held to start because the sender is not gounded in the hot mode when cold
There is a bulb test circuit built into the ignition switch. This is explained in detail in the thread linked above. The HOT light should come on as you slowly turn the ignition from RUN to START. It's the one time that both lights should come on.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
There is a bulb test circuit built into the ignition switch. This is explained in detail in the thread linked above. The HOT light should come on as you slowly turn the ignition from RUN to START. It's the one time that both lights should come on.
i don't believe that is so on these older vehicles. + it doesn't work that way on 4 of mine
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #33
jtrichard

if you look at the wiring diagram for these trucks there is a wire from the gauge to the ing. switch to ground it when starting for testing the bulb every time you start it

Last edited by jtrichard; 01-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote