The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
tinyjaime

1956 on frame master cylinder brake bracket question

Ok guys I need to validate this story from a vendor. I have a 1956 Chevy 3100 step side with a 235. My VIN #3A56L-XXXXXX which Los Angeles is the assembly plant.

Current Situation:
I upgraded the master cylinder from the original to a dual master cylinder with a power booster frame mounted style. Purchased it from e-bay and I am just finding out that it does not mount correctly. My mounting nor does my master cylinder combo does not set level. I search one in the forum and another member showed me pictures of his and it does not set level either. I followed the instructions and I thought that was the way it was supposed to mount. Never thought any thing about it. mounted the bracket and had the bracket and the frame powder coated. I took a visit to Tucker's in Henderson NV and saw a little frame mounted example on display and it was level so I asked them if it was supposed to be level. Their answer was yes.

I asked the seller on E-Bay if it was supposed to be level and here is the conversation.

It should be level. Something does'nt sound right. I've installed lots of these and they were all level. The original bolt holes should be the same on all of the trucks. The booster should go flush to the bracket and the mc should mount flush to the booster.

(I showed him pics and asked if it looked right)

It does seem to be too high. Not sure why either. After Christmas. See if you can get the measurements on the brackets where it bolts to the frame and we can compare them to these brackets I have here. My wife does remember that we had this problem once before and it was also on a 56. The holes in his frame didn't match up and he actually redrilled his frame. I guess you could shim the booster down if necessary. But lets check the bracket first.

But after talking with a friend of mine he told me that one assembly plant in 56 actually drilled their holes different. Doesn't remember exactly (he is 86) but does remember something like that. I have only run into it one time also. Can't tell you any more than that. I checked a couple of different cases and all my brackets were the same. Probably over 7 years sold hundreds of them.

Here are my questions. Does that sound right about the 56 holes being drilled in different locations? If so wouldn't the original master cylinder be different from the other Task Force trucks? Does any one have any experience, comments, or suggestions? I know I can make it work but I must be missing something so any help or advice is appreciated. What I am worried is pedal location. If anyone has any bolt mounting measurements I would like to see if there is a difference. Thanks
Attached Images

tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
tinyjaime

Re: 1956 on frame master cylinder brake bracket question

Here are the measurements and my old MC thanks again guys.
Attached Images

tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: 1956 on frame master cylinder brake bracket question

Looks to me like the bracket is very wrong. here is a photo of the bracket I made, the two bolts are to the original MC mount and appear to be in the same location as yours. I moved mine assy back for ease of access to the MC from the cab.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote