The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
orange72350

More P/S Problems

Working on my truck today and noticed that the bolt that holds my power steering bracket to the engine mount was losse. upon further inspection, i notcied that the bottom of the two bolts that hold the bracket against the front of the block was broken off. inside the block. tried easy outs, and any trick i could thiink of, but it dont wanna come out. i got the other two bolts tight, and the pump feels mounted solid., can i run it with just two bolts for now? or is it dangerous? thanx fer the input
big d

2000 skiddo mxz 700. Camoplast 1.5 inch track, jaws twin pipes, b+b can, custom built and weighted clutch, wiseco piston, high comp heads. its very fast. wow.

72 c-10 longbox. Bright Orange. Brand new 350, rv cam, performer intake, qjet, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust into hooker areo chamber mufflers. Body work coming soon.

"dont let yer mind wander, its to little to go places by itself."

"Forget the herse, cause i'll never die"-ACDC Back In Black

"If It's To Loud, Yer Just Too Old"

"I Love Anything Fast Enough To Do Something Stupid In"

"Instant idiot, just add beer!!""
orange72350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Rooster's 67

only thing that may happen is that it will come loose......throw the other belts because of the free power steering belts getting caught up in them, and then render you without power steering.

and stranded,or working on the side of the road.

Try the left handed drill/extractors made by sears. The set runs about $40 if I remember correctly but they work realy well. My techs at work use mine when they break S#!T off.
I just love suppling them with tool for the trade!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I would try to fix it...thats not the strongest bracket setup with all the bolts in it. I would just drill it out...if you mess up the threads put a heli-coil in it.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Brewski*

Get your motor good and hot before trying to extract the bolts, it helps.
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

If the old bolt is sticking out at all try welding another bolt onto it. I broke off the same damn bolt you're talking about a while back and a guy and me put a 3/8 inch flatwasher inbetween the busted bolt and the new bolt we welded to it. AFter that i just put a ratchet on the welded bolt and it came right out. If that don't work drill it out and if you jack up the threads just go with the helicoil like the other man said.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote