The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
81Scottsdale520

Help Please!!

I have a couple hoses that are leaking i was wondering if i could just take them off, or if i need them. they look like they go to a a/c but i dont have a/c in my truck so just wondering if i need them or not
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: Help Please!!

Those are heater hoses; is it leaking inside the cab?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
81Scottsdale520

yes it leaks big time inside and down the firewall. i tried to tighten the hoses but still doesnt stop. and i think its using the radiator fluid because my radiator keeps going so low that i cant drive it because i dont want it to heat up. so is there any solution?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
jpnh

you can bypass the heater box but youll have no heat or more important no defroster sux not to have that when you need it.

Last edited by jpnh; 01-11-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: werent finished
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
81Scottsdale520

how would i be able to do that? its fine without a heater or defroster i live in az so its not a big problem plus i dont think it works anyway.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Its kind of cheesy, but you can just cut the hoses off and cut the 5/8 size one long enough to loop over to where the other hose used to come off the engine. When you're done you'll have a loop of hose from the intake manifold to the water pump.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
81Scottsdale520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Its kind of cheesy, but you can just cut the hoses off and cut the 5/8 size one long enough to loop over to where the other hose used to come off the engine. When you're done you'll have a loop of hose from the intake manifold to the water pump.
not quite sure i understand what your saying sorry, i took both hoses off now the 5/8 one you say to connect it from intake to water pump correct? except it doesnt fit onto the water pump nipple, so thats the part im confused on. the hoses are 5/8 and 3/4
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
jpnh

youd take the hose from where your pointing on the 3rd pic down off the heater core cut it back and connect it to where your pointing on the 4th pic down after taking that hose off. that by passes the heater core make sure you dont kink the hose! that will stop the leaks. the coolant circulates from the waterpump through the heater core back to the motor on the intake and gives you heat/defrost. you should fix it so the system is working as it should so id use it as a temp fix{no pun intended} like i said no fun not to have defrost when you need it mostly happens early morning after the party tryng to fly to work. remember where your hoses are connected not sure how much coolant you lost make sure thats topped off and the thermostat is opening by making sure when it reaches temprature depending on the thermostat you have in it 195?it kicks open and circulates the coolant and the temp goes down sometimes when the coolant goes low you can have a condition where the coolant wont circulate because of air in behind the thermostat.
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Scottsdale520 View Post
not quite sure i understand what your saying sorry, i took both hoses off now the 5/8 one you say to connect it from intake to water pump correct? except it doesnt fit onto the water pump nipple, so thats the part im confused on. the hoses are 5/8 and 3/4
That's correct. You have to force the 5/8 hose onto the 3/4 inch nipple. Just push hard and twist back and forth and it will push into place.

If you tried to put the 3/4 inch hose onto the 5/8 nipple, it would fit loose and you'd be risking it popping off or leaking.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
81Scottsdale520

Ok guys i got it! no leaks or anything. Thanks for all your guys' help!!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
oneday1

Like jpnh said make sure the hose isn't kinked. Even a little. If so you might cause other problems. I had a heater core go on me and I just bypassed it on the side of the road to get home. Didn't want to cut the hose since it was just to get home. Well, about 20 minutes after that and only a few miles from home the water pump blew. Not a good day.
oneday1 is offline   Reply With Quote