The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Wood Grain Applique

I know I have posted this before but does anyone know of a company that makes a wood grain applique that comes remotely close to fitting an aftermarket gauge bezel. I have tried the one that Brothers sell and it fits like socks on a chicken. I will be OK with a little trimming here and there if needed but this one is off any every direction. I would gladly pay for quality.

I have a customer that is paying nice money for a nice product and I would love to give him what he is paying for.

I will even buy a bezel that has the wood grain applied if anyone knows of a company that sells them that way. It has to be for a 69-72 with chrome trim.

Please help,
Thank you in advance,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: Wood Grain Applique

Socks on a chicken!
I'm going to have to remember that one.

Have you checked Wes or GMC Paul. If they can't help you, I would think they could point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Socks on a chicken!
I'm going to have to remember that one.

Have you checked Wes or GMC Paul. If they can't help you, I would think they could point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Thank you Willie, great idea. I will PM both.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
twouvakind

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...in-s/19978.htm

The question is, which color?
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I have a customer that is paying nice money for a nice product and I would love to give him what he is paying for.
If he wants to pay good money for a great product, do your research on hydro graphics (water transfer printing). Way better results than most other techniques.

Here is a link with different pics. There are literally hundreds of different patterns, including plenty of wood grains

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...hics&FORM=IGRE
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I know I have posted this before but does anyone know of a company that makes a wood grain applique that comes remotely close to fitting an aftermarket gauge bezel. I have tried the one that Brothers sell and it fits like socks on a chicken. I will be OK with a little trimming here and there if needed but this one is off any every direction. I would gladly pay for quality.

I will even buy a bezel that has the wood grain applied if anyone knows of a company that sells them that way. It has to be for a 69-72 with chrome trim.

Please help,
Thank you in advance,
Tom
This is a great question. I'd like to hear what others say. In my experience, the newer overlays are off. They won't correctly attach to older OEM, or the NOS 80s GM bezels. Likewise, if you get a nice overlay on an OEM, and are able to remove it without damaging it, it won't line up either. You'd think this would be fixed by now.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
This is a great question. I'd like to hear what others say. In my experience, the newer overlays are off. They won't correctly attach to older OEM, or the NOS 80s GM bezels. Likewise, if you get a nice overlay on an OEM, and are able to remove it without damaging it, it won't line up either. You'd think this would be fixed by now.

You would think so Richard. It is getting to the point where I could do better making my own and then you have to find the wood grain that somewhat matches the factory grain. Another member on another thread suggested that Goodmark has the complete bezel with the applique already in place. I may have to order one to see how it looks.

The applique I have fits differently on a aftermarket bezel vs a OE bezel but does not fit great on either.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Kurt L

when i had my truck and wanted the wood grain around the gauges,i went to wal-mart and bought that wood grain shelf paper. and laid it out on the bezel and cut out he holes for the gauges then stuck it on the bezel worked great for me and looked good.did the ash tray and the glove box also. you might check that out.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
jocko

The only one I got that was worth a nickel was through Jonathan (VA72C10) and I believe he got it from Cheyenne Superman. Still have it, and paid an arm and a leg for it (but it's a complete bezel, not just the applique) Saving it and the gb door wood for a future project. I'd contact Cheyenne Superman for the ground truth - he is ebay seller csm86, I believe, and his name is Gary Terry. Is still, or at least used to be, on this site, but I don't know his username on here - someone else might.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
The only one I got that was worth a nickel was through Jonathan (VA72C10) and I believe he got it from Cheyenne Superman. Still have it, and paid an arm and a leg for it (but it's a complete bezel, not just the applique) Saving it and the gb door wood for a future project. I'd contact Cheyenne Superman for the ground truth - he is ebay seller csm86, I believe, and his name is Gary Terry. Is still, or at least used to be, on this site, but I don't know his username on here - someone else might.
Thank you Jocko for the tip. I have tried several times in the past 6 months to contact Gary (Cheyenne Superman) but he has not returned my messages. If anyone knows a way to reach him, please let me know.
Thanks again,
Tom

Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
DaHos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Have a pic?

Here is one I have from Gary, looks to be an all chrome aftermarket bezel with see-throughish woodgrain vinyl applique. The chrome "sparkels" through it.......not to impressed....

Have yet to find a more original looking one myself....
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Thank you to everyone for the tips and suggestions. I did not expect an easy answer to this. The research I have done has basically spelled it out "GOOD LUCK"

If I can find a wood grain contact paper I like, I may attempt to make my own.

Thanks again everyone,
Tom

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHos View Post
Have a pic?

Here is one I have from Gary, looks to be an all chrome aftermarket bezel with see-throughish woodgrain vinyl applique. The chrome "sparkels" through it.......not to impressed....

Have yet to find a more original looking one myself....
That is not good Dave and it is really giving me some inspiration to do my own thing with these. The question is truly not what it looks like new but what will it look like in 3-4-5 years from now? I do have a Cheyenne Super bezel that is a survivor but the chrome is shot. I may use it for a wood grain match and see if I can find something close. The other problem is the OE bezels and aftermarket bezels are just different enough to make one or the other not fit correctly.

Even if I had an NOS GM wood grain applique, it would not fit correctly on an aftermarket bezel.

To be continued...

Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
69Rumbler

You can always make one , I know one guy makes them out of aluminum , ask him if he will cut you one out of wood . He all ready has the Cam program to due so . I would offer to make it for you . But i would have to do the program ( CNC ) and it's a lot of work lol plus my back is jacked up
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #15
leddzepp

Here is a pic of the one in my truck. I bought it from classic industries. It came with the woodgrain already applied. Like others I have tried applying an aftermarket one to both OEM and repro bezels, with mixed results. Although this one is not perfect, it is better than the ones I made. The toughest part I had was getting all of the woodgrain pieces to match. Mixing nos or OEM pieces with repro doesn't work...and it gets real real expensive doing them all OEM. The truck shop in orange has an nos from the 80's with the silver painted bezel. It's hanging on their rack, with a lot of evident shelf ware on the woodgrain and the bezel...and they still want close to $300 for it!
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I have this one,but I forget who did it. I bought it at a swap meet. Good ones are out there. I bought some rolls of various GM woodgrain material,some may be the right stuff for our trucks. Keep an eye out,there has to be more out there.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Here is a pic of the one in my truck. I bought it from classic industries. It came with the woodgrain already applied. Like others I have tried applying an aftermarket one to both OEM and repro bezels, with mixed results. Although this one is not perfect, it is better than the ones I made. The toughest part I had was getting all of the woodgrain pieces to match. Mixing nos or OEM pieces with repro doesn't work...and it gets real real expensive doing them all OEM. The truck shop in orange has an nos from the 80's with the silver painted bezel. It's hanging on their rack, with a lot of evident shelf ware on the woodgrain and the bezel...and they still want close to $300 for it!
Hi Scott,

That is a beautiful cluster you have there. Very nice I will contact Classic Industries and see what they have. As always, I appreciate your help. Yes, I know to well how NOS OE parts can add to the price.

Take care,
Tom

Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have this one,but I forget who did it. I bought it at a swap meet. Good ones are out there. I bought some rolls of various GM woodgrain material,some may be the right stuff for our trucks. Keep an eye out,there has to be more out there.

Hi Tim,

Someone did a very nice job on that one. If you or anyone has a source for wood grain please get me a part number.

Any chance yours is for sale? Never hurts to ask right?

Thank you,
Tom

Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Throwing out an option here.

You can find a ton of wood grain vinyl on ebay. Some of them come in 36x24 inch and larger patterns.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

If doing the dash bezel, you could lay the bezel down on top of the vinyl and trace out the gauge holes on the back with pencil, then around the outside of the bezel.

Cut, align the gauge holes of the vinyl on the bezel (the outside edges will overlap the bezel), then use a heat gun on low to set it. Go back with an exacto knife on the outside edge to cut it to the inside lip of the bezel.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
Throwing out an option here.

You can find a ton of wood grain vinyl on ebay. Some of them come in 36x24 inch and larger patterns.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

If doing the dash bezel, you could lay the bezel down on top of the vinyl and trace out the gauge holes on the back with pencil, then around the outside of the bezel.

Cut, align the gauge holes of the vinyl on the bezel (the outside edges will overlap the bezel), then use a heat gun on low to set it. Go back with an exacto knife on the outside edge to cut it to the inside lip of the bezel.

Thank you for the link. I think a ton would be an understatement A lot there to choose from. Thanks for the advise on installing/appying also.

Take care,
Tom